997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 rear window tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
997.2 rear window tint

I had the windows tinted (3M) I'm happy with everything except at the base of the rear window. The window has about an inch of those black raised edge dots-as do the other windows-but along this line the tint is not uniform-some areas darker/lighter- I saw another similar car in a parking lot and it looked the same. I know tinters always curse those window edges and don't promise a good solid stick- But, is this as good as it can get? I was thinking about asking that the lower inch of the tint be trimmed off?-it least it wouldn't look irregular.
I'm asking for comments before I go to the tinter-I'm expecting to hear that they can't promise a good uniform edge on that rough surface.
thanks James

Old 10-24-2010, 05:34 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Arrow The...

...only way to "partially" remedy it involves sanding (steel wool) & scraping (razor blade) of the ubiquitous black dots that are the issue.

If you trim the offending piece, light passing through will drive you nuts.

IMHO, you should just live with the minor discrepancy rather than risk a more noticeable non-uniformity after scraping and sanding.

I live with it. Don't even notice it anymore (except for today after reading this post). No one else notices it either (see pics attached).

Ignore it, its harmless and will not affect future adhesion.

Attached Images   

Last edited by 996PCarGo; 10-24-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
You're right-but the OCD in me lets little things like that get on my nerves.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:45 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Arrow ha...

Originally Posted by Forujames
You're right-but the OCD in me lets little things like that get on my nerves.
Am as OCD as they come, & have learned to accept it.

If you cannot live with it then use blackout film on the outside of the window to block the part that bugs you.

I have seen this done and it looks ok... No one notices it either.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
My 35% tint did the same thing - uneven adhesion in the "dotty" section of the rear windshield. I almost took my car back in but then I thought "what the hell are they going to do - they won't be scraping the dots off..." So I left it alone. 3 months later, I don't look at it anymore, and the view from the driver's seat is great - you can't even tell. No peeling or worsening of the appearance.

I agree that trimming the last inch off will drive you nuts - you'll see this bright band of light at the bottom of your window - and that will SURELY drive you nuts.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:30 PM
h1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud of
i have the same issue and it STILL drives me nuts.

One would think someone could figure this out. Maybe trim and paint or black tape?

Old 10-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Maybe someone will come up with a piece of plastic to stick on the outside of the lower window edge-of course it will cost a few hundred (for a $10 strip) and then more to paint............and will be something else to worry about! Hoping to see more comments.....james

Old 10-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Lightbulb The...

Originally Posted by Forujames
Maybe someone will come up with a piece of plastic to stick on the outside of the lower window edge-of course it will cost a few hundred (for a $10 strip) and then more to paint............and will be something else to worry about! Hoping to see more comments.....james
...black out film strip I mentioned previously (that tinters can apply to the exterior window) should cost between $40 and $70 installed (depending on who you go to) and is a long lasting solution to this "issue"... if you simply cannot stand looking at the upraised portion of tint on dots. It hides it.

My tint person does this for $40 and it lasts until it becomes a "flapper" from weather, wind and/or adulterants.

Had it on my last E36 M3 & it maintained its integrity for over 2 years.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Bux996tt is infamous around these partsBux996tt is infamous around these parts
I have that exact same bothersome strip on the bottom of my window. I can't stand how uneven it is. I am almost to the point of removing the tint.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:13 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bux996tt
I have that exact same bothersome strip on the bottom of my window. I can't stand how uneven it is. I am almost to the point of removing the tint.
Any quality tinter should know how to "blend" in that area.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:14 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
This is the main reason why I'll never tint...I couldn't live with it.

J

Old 12-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Recalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really nice
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Any quality tinter should know how to "blend" in that area.
How would you do that? With out sanding the dots that is. There's not really anything to blend. I've been tinting my own window quite a while. The dot matrix, depending on how big, always does this. Most P-car owners aren't going to sand on their windows.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Subscribing...

Old 12-28-2010, 10:45 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Recalcitrant
How would you do that? With out sanding the dots that is. There's not really anything to blend. I've been tinting my own window quite a while. The dot matrix, depending on how big, always does this. Most P-car owners aren't going to sand on their windows.
Had a similar problem on a Corvette - not sure how exactly it was done but I think the tinter used a black vinyl strip to cover the dots and then tinted the entire window including the vinyl strip. IIRC, it looked great and I agree, no steel wool on the window.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:40 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Had a similar problem on a Corvette - not sure how exactly it was done but I think the tinter used a black vinyl strip to cover the dots and then tinted the entire window including the vinyl strip. IIRC, it looked great and I agree, no steel wool on the window.

...that's how they do it here in Florida as well. I had my 03 996 then my 05 997.1 and 08 BMW 335 (all with those annoying dots) done exactly as above except when they apply the vinyl then the film, the score the line with a razor, peel off the excess and you are left with a perfect fit

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 rear window tint