997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

gundo hack in dallas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:31 PM
AKC4S is on a distinguished road
thanks. I can't wait. I will also take pics and hopefully Vids of the deal.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:16 AM
DocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud of
Dropped it off yesterday. Should be in progress!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:24 AM
AKC4S is on a distinguished road
Wow, Well, if you are in the /Plano/Frisco, 121 and Preston rd area I would love to hear it...

Old 11-11-2010, 06:09 PM
DocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud of
Got the hack done with the 2" pipe. Deeper tone especially in the lower revs. Adds a harmonic from 3-4.5K. Louder at the top but not much different in tone. Glad that it is not that noticeable at normal cruising speeds.

Pretty loud, though with the 2" pipe. Don't know if I can also do the high flow cats without it getting obnoxious. Still not the tone I was going for, but definitely an improvement. Thinking about adding the x51 headers. You guys think that will make much difference?

Posted a video to YouTube with before and after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1_O76t_ZI8

Last edited by DocMartin9; 11-11-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:39 PM
mkp1301 is on a distinguished road
I live in dallas and 'm interested in the Gundo Hack for my 07 997S. From your video, it sounds fantastic. What type of pipe did he use for the hack? A T304 or better? My main concern is oxidation and it rusting. Have you had any issues with it so far?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm not sure what grade of stainless steel my mechanic used.

I looked at it the other day when I was showing someone- you can see the bypass right under the back bumper. The welding looked high quality with a nice even bead. No corrosion so far.

As I understand it you use stainless steel for the welding wire and blow an inert gas over the welding area as you work to keep out the oxygen. So, if the person doing the welding knows how to weld stainless steel properly it should hold up fine.

I'm on vacation now but if you like I can post some photos of the welds next week when I get back.

To me the bigger question is what diameter pipe to use. I used 2 inch pipe and it can be a little loud especially after I changed to the high flow air intake. I have seen other posts that said 1.5 inch pipe was not loud enough. Maybe 1.75 inch is the sweet spot but this depends on individual preference.

If you are interested I could record some better audio and send it to you.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Pictures of the welding job would be great. Based off of your video, I think the 2 inch pipe is the way to go. Its much deeper and throatier than stock, but not obnoxious.

I think I'm going to reach out to your guy in lewisville and hopefully get it done next week. I guess in the end, if it starts to corrode any, it gives me the reason to get the tubi or fabspeed!!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:29 PM
thxbuff2001 is on a distinguished road
Next time I go to dallas I would really do all this mods.

I am also worried about rusting? I have seen improper and proper welding and it would really eat pipes.

The sound seems perfect, especially in the cabin.

Hey Doc, do you know if it void Porsche warranty?

Old 01-13-2011, 05:59 PM
I spoke to Steve at fifth gear in lewisville ( Ricky wasn't available ) and I was quoted a price of 450. Anyone wiling to share the price fifth gear charged? I mentioned several folks on this forum were stating 300, but he still wouldn't budge. However, he did say if someone got a cheaper price with them, they'd be willing to match..

Here's hoping to save 150 bucks

Old 01-15-2011, 09:41 PM
They charged me $200 for the pipe and $200 for the labor.

I'm sure the pipe didn't cost $200 but $400 total cost seems reasonable considering they have to take off the bumper, remove both mufflers, cut, weld, and reassemble.

You could get any muffler shop to do it cheaper if you removed the mufflers and brought them in but to me that was $400 well spent.

Sorry I could only save you $50 ;-)

Old 01-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Had the bypass done this morning. Wow, I'm thoroughly impressed. This is how it should sound from the factory.

I used Kens muffler shop in Dallas. Was referred to there by the service manager at parkplace Porsche.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
The modification shown in post #10 appears to be a piece of aluminized carbon steel tube welded to the muffler tubes. It makes for a really bad galvanic couple. Both the aluminum coating and iron in the carbon steel tube will be sacrificial to the 304.

Last edited by Alan C.; 02-03-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Pic

Originally Posted by mkp1301
Pictures of the welding job would be great. Based off of your video, I think the 2 inch pipe is the way to go. Its much deeper and throatier than stock, but not obnoxious.

I think I'm going to reach out to your guy in lewisville and hopefully get it done next week. I guess in the end, if it starts to corrode any, it gives me the reason to get the tubi or fabspeed!!
Sorry the pic is a little blurry. The weld seems to be holding up just fine.

Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Sharkys will become famous soon enough
That's great the welds are holding up. However, keep an eye on the welds IF the the tubing and welds are not stainless. My partiail bypass was done with 1.75" stainless tubing and weld, mendral bent and fitted as close to the can as possible and nearly vertical as fitted in final position when installed. The pipe length per side is approx 7.5" due to the bends/cuts (but I've seen hacks using straight 3" - 4" length tubing and they sound great too). My exhast was then media blasted to finish up the mod. At 3150 RPM there is a note change at near or WOT. There is no drone (gundo hacks do not drone) and there is a slight improvment in throttle response. As far as HP increase - none as far as I'm concerned but no HP increase was expected. This is strictly an audible note change. I would not consider my exhaust pitch to be low but there is a medium to high note change at near or WOT. And that is what I was looking for. $300 is what the mod should cost though I wouldn't expect a basic muffler shop to media blast the cans as a finishing step - not really needed.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 PM
micouremo will become famous soon enough
Lookin for someone in Dallas to do this for a reasonable price. 5th gear says $675???? And $488 at RAC. It cannot be that difficult. Anyone have a suggestion around Dallas?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: gundo hack in dallas?