997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New FVD Street-Sport PDK Mufflers on a 2009 997.2 C4S - REVIEW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 03:45 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
From what I can hear on the video, the system sounds great!

As the OP readily offered, sound is subjective. What further complicates choices for buyers is not only the amt of choices out there for exhaust systems, but also the various levels of sound quality (or lack of it, in cases) between audio or A/V clips. Not only the quality of the camera mic, but other variables like wind, environment, etc that play into the whole audio capture that more or less predetermines how accurate (or inaccurate) a clip is in representing the true sound. Optimum case is always to hear these systems in-person before purchase, but of course that's not always possible. It's great that we have the audio clips as a point of reference. Usually, the sound is always BETTER in-person; but not always the case.

There are some fantastic-sounding engines out there of different varieties and sizes. While I like many of them, the Flat-6 Porsche engine has a completely unique sound. Between the mechanical and exhaust sounds attributed to it, it is very identifiable. I like not only the harmonics & overtones, but the multi-octave exhaust sound that is so "trademark Porsche". (!!) Just wonderful.

It's great we have so many choices in which system will exploit certain characteristics of that signature sound according to our tastes! Thanks for sharing your results, bonerwall.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Bonerwall will become famous soon enough
I have had my new FVD Street-Sport PDK muffler system on my 2009 C4S now for 4 weeks and I wanted to give an update on my impressions on this system and provide some more information since my original post.

First, thanks to JmanE55 for transferring my video clip from YouTube onto this thread - I am not a very good tech geek and it is appreciated

I just got back from a 3-day roadtrip up in the AZ mountain "twisties" and my initial impressions are further confirmed - this CAT-back FVD Street-Sport PDK exhaust system is the best I have heard that is available for 997.2 DFI cars IMHO. The sound is sophisticated and refined and loud and aggressive, especially above 3000 RPM, yet if you don't want to "make a statement" with your car sound then don't drive with a heavy foot and it it will not draw any unwanted attention. The sound is very pure and European. There is absolutely no drone. Like I have said before I think it sounds like a GT3 RS but better, deeper and more aggresssive. And the throttle response is better than OEM. And I certainly feel the FVD claimed +18HP/+15TQ. I am convinced that the new 9A1 DFI engine design on the 997.2 requires "length" in the exhaust plumbing design in order to get decent throttle response, horsepower, and low end torque, hence the OEM Primary center muffler and the Secondary side mufflers. Only problem is that Porsche designed them too big and heavy and quiet. This FVD design replaces the Primary muffler with an merging X-Pipe (saving weight and getting better power and sound) and replaces the two Secondary side mufflers with much smaller side mufflers (saving more weight and getting a much better sound and power gain). The result is perfect combination of sound/performance gain/weight loss. No CEL's and most Porsche dealers have no problems doing warranty work on cars with CAT-back mufflers. And I believe that if you try to eliminate either the side muffflers or the center muffler in any aftermarket design then you will not get the exhaust "length" that is needed with this unique DFI exhaust detonation signature. You will get a louder sound but it will not be as refined and you will probably lose some throttle response and low end torque. Just my opinion after reading lots of info on new 997.2 exhaust systems and having tried several options myself.

The beauty of this FVD design is that it includes both the 2 side mufflers and the X-pipe in the single FVD Street-Sport PDK muffler package. As I mentioned before, the quality is outstanding, the installation only took about 2-hours (on a rack in a local shop) and it didn't require removal of either the real bumper or either rear wheels. Another great advantage that FVD has over other aftermarket desgns is that they can have the side mufflers built to the dB sound level that you want (either quieter or louder). And if you want to go all out in performance (and damn the warranty) then they have all the performance goodies like ECU software/headers/200 cell CAT's, etc. Most of the other aftermarket offerings don't have all the goodies available.

Well, I hope this update on my new FVD Street-Sport PDK exhaust system has helped provide more insight into this new product. I am really sold on it!! If anyone needs more info then please PM me.

BTW, I have For Sale my slightly used Fabspeed Primary Muffler Bypass X-Pipe (on the car for 10-months) and my 2 Fabspeed Dual Tone Maxflo Side Mufflers (on the car for 3-months). I will make you a good deal. As I have said before these are good products but they just were not as loud/aggressive as I was looking for. If interested then PM me. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Bonerwall - I've been looking for an exhaust for my 997S.2 and this may be the one. I had an FVD on my Cayman S PDK and it was just right.

I may have to do this before Spring driving starts.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Alan C.
Bonerwall - I've been looking for an exhaust for my 997S.2 and this may be the one. I had an FVD on my Cayman S PDK and it was just right.

I may have to do this before Spring driving starts.
Alan C,

Which version FVD muffler did you have on your Cayman S - the Export/Sound (louder) version or the TUV (quieter) version? I have the Export version on my wife's 2009 Boxster S and it sounds fantastic!

You will love this FVD Street-Sport PDK system on your 997.2S - the best combination of sound/performance gain/value/quality available out there for the new 997.2 IMHO. You will love it!!

Give me a PM and we can talk some more.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:57 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Very nicely done and glad you are enjoying it.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
It was the export version. As noted, Rhonda is great to deal with.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:31 AM
Majac4122 is on a distinguished road
Boner, can you pm me your price on the fabspeed set up.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Majac4122
Boner, can you pm me your price on the fabspeed set up.
Done, PM sent

Old 02-06-2011, 10:15 PM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
FVD Exhaust

As always FVD delivers excellent craftsmanship. I have not seen a TUBI but I believe this is higher quality T316 vs T304 stainless steel.

Attached Images   
Old 05-04-2011, 06:02 AM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
On a 3.6L Flat 6

Hello. Here is the same system installed in a bone stock 2009 Carrera 3.6. Let me know what you think of the sound. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRnilwEKB2E

Vic

Old 05-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
Vic,

That is a wonderful sound on the 3.6 L!! Very impressive! Glad your happy with it!
Thanks for the great video.

Rhonda

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 05-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Vic, thanks for your post and video on your FVD Street/Sport PDK mufflers on your 2009 C2. Great video and graphic info (wish the wind hadn't been blowing quite as much!!). Your system sounds pretty much the same as the same one I have on my 2009 C4S. I am still really liking my FVD system and recommend it to anyone with a 997.2 - they really have the best DFI engine sound "dialed in" with this system IMHO. Enjoy your new sound and performance boost!!

Old 05-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
^ So glad to hear Bonerwall, these pdk systems are truely amazing and the video's don't really do justice to what you hear in person.

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 05-06-2011, 08:37 AM
mchctsV will become famous soon enough
just did my fvd exhaust for my gt3 and I couldnt be happier with the quality and the sound

Old 05-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Premium Sponsor
^ So glad to hear. Have you gotten a chance to feel the torque in the mid range yet? I think you will be very pleased with that as well . Enjoy!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New FVD Street-Sport PDK Mufflers on a 2009 997.2 C4S - REVIEW