997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New FVD Street-Sport PDK Mufflers on a 2009 997.2 C4S - REVIEW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Bonerwall will become famous soon enough
New FVD Street-Sport PDK Mufflers on a 2009 997.2 C4S - REVIEW

I have just installed the newest CAT-Back sport exhaust system from FVD (the FVD Street-Sport PDK Mufflers, part # BES 997 290 00S2) on my 2009 C4S and I have finally found the perfect combination of outstanding sound, quality, price, and performance enhancement for the newer generation 997.2 DFI cars. I realize that exhaust sound is very subjective and it is very difficult to really evaluate aftermarket exhaust systems from a video, but I have made a comprehensive 5-minute video of this new system which will hopefully give viewers a nice idea of what this new system sounds like. But first let me give you a quick history of the last year and a half and my search for the perfect exhaust system for the new 997.2 cars and my experiences with a couple other exhaust set-ups.

I took delivery of my 2009 C4S in Jan 2009 and right away realized that the OEM exhaust was WAY to quiet. PSE was not available yet on the new 997.2 and my objective was to get a PSE-like sound (deeper/louder yet sophisticated and refined with no drone) from an aftermarket CAT-back exhaust system and hopefully save some weight and get increased HP/TQ over OEM. The only available options in Jan 2009 were the Sharkwerks cross-over pipe, the AWE cross-over pipe, the Fabspeed side muffler by-pass pipes, and the Fabspeed X-pipe (merging flow). I chose the Fabspeed X-pipe because it sounded the best in it's video and offered the best performance increase (+13HP/+23TQ advertised) compared to the others. After I installed it I was disappointed - it was barely louder than OEM but it did give a slight boost of HP/TQ (seat of pants guess) but not quite as much as advertised.

My next step to getting the sound I wanted was to add the Fabspeed Dual-Tone side mufflers (Loud setting) which also advertised +11HP/+21TQ. Again, they sounded good in the Fabspeed video, but when I got them on the car in Nov 2009 I was again disappointed - barely louder than the X-pipe and not loud enough for my needs. To be fare to Fabspeed, their product was very well made and the sound was very sophisticated/European, but it was not as loud and aggressive as I was looking for.

Then in Jan 2010 I started looking at FVD products. I had put an FVD Sport Muffler (Export/Loud version) on my girlfriend's 2009 Boxster S and it sounded fantastic. That was the sound I was looking for (realize that the engine/exhaust layout on a Boxster is very different than a 997.2). I had previously not considered the European exhaust systems like FVD/Tubi/Cargraphics because they were not available in early 2009 and they were very expensive, they didn't promise much HP/TQ gains, and they did not have any good videos to evaluate the sound. In Feb 2010 I ended up getting the new FVD Sport Mufflers (Sound version) which advertised +15HP/+15TQ. It was unique compared to the other FVD/Tubi/Cargraphic offerings because it's design simply eliminated the entire Primary (center) muffler and used only the 2 FVD side mufflers, savings lots of weight. The quality of the FVD parts was top-notch. The sound was good but not what I was looking for - it was great above 3000RPM, very deep and throaty and refined, but below 3000, especially under load when accelerating, it was very raw and unrefined (in my viewpoint) and it was too loud (I can't believe I would be saying that!).

Finally, we come to my last (and final) set-up. This new FVD Street-Sport PDK system is perfect. It has 2 side mufflers (designed smaller than the other FVD Side Muffler offerings, similar in size to the Tubi and Fabspeed side mufflers) and has a new X-pipe design merging the exhaust flows (their previous X-pipe was a non-merging design). FVD advertises +18HP/+15TQ in this system and I believe it from my seat of the pants. The overall design is very much like the Fabspeed side mufflers and X-pipe. The workmanship/quality is great (I like FVD using T316 stainless steel were most others use T304). And the sound is just the way a Porsche should sound - I would say it is much like a GT3 RS but slightly deeper. It is refined around town when you want it to be and when you open it up, especially above 3000RPM, it sounds fantastic. There is absolutely no drone. And don't let the PDK part of the name fool you - it works just great on a 6-speed like mine too!! I would say this system sounds very much like the Tubi system but slightly more aggressive and deeper, costs less, and you get more HP/TQ. A bargain all around. And Rhonda at FVD in Florida is an absolute delight to work with - she really knows her stuff. Also, this FVD Cat-Back exhaust system is the only mod I have on the car and nothing else is contributing to the sound or performance gains. My Porsche dealer has no problems with warranty service.

I am posting my video below. I took it with a FLIP digital video camera and posted it to YouTube. If this link below doesn't work (it my be too long) then go to YouTube and search "FVD Street-Sport (PDK) Mufflers 2009 Porsche 997.2 C4S" If anyone has any questions send me a PM.

UPDATE: Well, my video doesn't seem to want to load up as an attachment/link to this post so you will have to go to YouTube to view it. I did manage to include a few pictures I took with my iPhone of the muffler system install.

Attached Images   
Old 11-28-2010, 01:56 PM
vraxinus will become famous soon enoughvraxinus will become famous soon enough
i just take a look at your video and i think it sounds great. So you are using FVD street sport exhaust? and how much does it cost?

Old 11-28-2010, 02:52 PM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
How does this compare to the FVD Street Sports (without side muffler)? I am contemplating on trading to this one.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:53 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
That sounds great...

Here's the youtube linkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtJpff6mYRs

Old 11-28-2010, 03:04 PM
lee7758 is on a distinguished road
Very nice sound!!

Old 11-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by vraxinus
i just take a look at your video and i think it sounds great. So you are using FVD street sport exhaust? and how much does it cost?
Take a look at the www.fvd.us website for prices, but this one costs about $2997 (this includes both side mufflers and and X-pipe).

Old 11-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by gray911
How does this compare to the FVD Street Sports (without side muffler)? I am contemplating on trading to this one.
I too was looking at the FVD Street-Sport muffler when it first became available. I liked the idea of all the weight savings by eliminating the side mufflers. But I decided against them because they are definitely loud and it appeared from a few of the videos that there was some resonance (perhaps not drone) that might become annoying at cruise for long periods of time (just my opinion, again hard to tell from a video). My Street-Sport PDK is not quite as loud but more refined/higher pitched/European in nature and more what I was looking for (and it gets an additional +3HP compared to the Street-Sport system). Hope that helps some.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:18 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have the complete system and love it . Listening to video is hard to determine but mine is slighly more quiet than yours as i have the "quiet version" . It's needed for this car which is more of a daily driver . I also have their software mated to the system .

It's so civilized when I need quiet yet has quite a crisp roar when i want that note.

Since I drive multiple cars it's often hard to compare the details of before and after but I think the biggest response I got with my car was when i thought about trading it for a Gt3RS . The salesman came back from getting the car appraised and was blown away by how different the car drove from the stock 997.2 PDK cars that he's accustomed to driving . as much as he would have liked to sell me a car he expressed that I ought to keep this car awhile .. which I did !!!!
I am glad i did too.

FVD really has a beautiful system and much as you state .. the quality is outstanding.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:13 AM
k6gix is on a distinguished road
Great write up and video! Really appreciated! Sounds f'in amazing

Old 11-29-2010, 09:26 AM
carfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the review and video

I will be getting my full FVD Stage 3 setup next week, the sound version

Currently I have full Tubi setup (2 side mufflers and the bypass pipes), but I am not 100% happy (90%) and there are no headers and cats for such setup...

I'll post installation pics and a video if possible once ready !

Old 11-29-2010, 01:02 PM
vraxinus will become famous soon enoughvraxinus will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by carfan
Thanks for the review and video

I will be getting my full FVD Stage 3 setup next week, the sound version

Currently I have full Tubi setup (2 side mufflers and the bypass pipes), but I am not 100% happy (90%) and there are no headers and cats for such setup...

I'll post installation pics and a video if possible once ready !

Is the FVD street sport exhaust louder than the FVD stage 3? or viceversa?

Old 11-29-2010, 01:11 PM
carfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura about
I ordered the Loud version, so I guess it's going to be louder than the video posted here

But there is also a more silent version

Basically, FVD can do any sound you want

Old 12-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Hey Bonerwall, thanks for the feedback and I'm sorry the system wasn't aggressive enough for you. As you know, these new DFI cars are quieter and we didn't want to make this system too aggressive, even in the loud setting which I think you tried. I'm glad you found something that suite your needs and it sounds good. Enjoy the new exhaust and let me know if you ever need anything or have any questions.

PS. We just released the Remote Valvetronic mufflers for the 997.2 which have the same concept but a more aggressive sound in the loud setting so it may suit your needs if anyone is interested.
Thanks,

Old 12-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bonerwall
My Street-Sport PDK is not quite as loud but more refined/higher pitched/European in nature and more what I was looking for

So glad to hear that you are enjoying the exhaust! Thanks for the wonderful review and video.
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I have the complete system and love it.

Glad to hear that you are still enjoying the exhaust. The salesman was right on telling you to keep that set up. 997.2S with our complete system and software is extremely potent. Here is a comparison with the 997.2 GT3 using Porsche AG #’s:

FVD Level 3 Tuning
Max. Power - 311kW (423HP) @ 6500rpm
Max. Torque - 460Nm (339lbf ft) @ 4500rpm
Max. Speed - 310km/h (193mph)
Max. RPM - 7700rpm
Acceleration 0-100km/h (0-60mph) - 4.1s

997.2 GT3 (From Porsche AG site)
320 kW (435 PS)
430 Nm
0 - 100 km/h – 4,1 s

Note that the FVD package has 30 NM more of torque than the GT3, then note that the 0-100km/h is the same.

Originally Posted by carfan
I will be getting my full FVD Stage 3 setup next week, the sound version…I'll post installation pics and a video if possible once ready !

Can’t wait to hear the news! A video would be great!
Originally Posted by vraxinus
Is the FVD street sport exhaust louder than the FVD stage 3? or viceversa?

Yes. The street sport system only runs small cylindrical mufflers to keep the weight down. The street sport system is perfect for those who want a loud system with the maximum amount of weight savings. The FVD stage 3 is made for power and should not be considered for those who are weight conscious.

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 12-03-2010, 03:36 PM
StrtSwpr996 is on a distinguished road
Great vid, exhaust sounds great!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New FVD Street-Sport PDK Mufflers on a 2009 997.2 C4S - REVIEW