997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Found weird spot/stain in instrument display

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:06 AM
like7272 is on a distinguished road
Found weird spot/stain in instrument display

I was out of town for a week, so I could not drive the car over one week.

and found strange stain on the display (picture is attached)

I have never touched it or even start the car up.

does anyone know why it happened?

I am sad

Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2010, 08:13 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
WOW..I have no idea BUT I can only imagine the comments that are about to follow!
BUT are you sure you didn't accidentally make that stain,LOL

.....via photoshop,I mean?
It doesn't look real........never seen anything like it?!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 12-22-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Is that the "faster than lightening" indicator?

Old 12-22-2010, 08:34 AM
It is real.
I attached one more pics
harder to see in the picture, but still there

Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2010, 10:08 AM
simoncpj is on a distinguished road
Seems a bit ominous when a German car puts a map of Italy on the dash. If your car sprouts a KwK 40 75mm anti-tank gun, alert NATO immediately!

Old 12-22-2010, 10:12 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I assume the display is LCD and looks as if there is damage to the screen. Not sure how it could have happened. Extreme cold?

Old 12-23-2010, 12:13 AM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
Looks like teenage son may have "used" car during your absence..........................

Old 12-23-2010, 12:30 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
^That's what I was thinking...do you have kids?

Old 12-23-2010, 04:28 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Looks to me like to much excitement @ 130mph
BTW.....wdkx??????? r u in rochester?????

Old 12-27-2010, 04:14 PM
no, no one touched car ever for whole week.

It's actually got bigger today.

Do I need to change a whole cluster which is over $800?

Old 12-27-2010, 04:22 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
How old is your car? It should be covered under warranty.

Love the NATO comment simon!

Old 12-27-2010, 04:27 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Have you tried to wipe the stain? Dust it, then use a microfiber towel and a appropriate plastic detailer. It'll be interesting to see if it is a stain or a problem with the plastic itself.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bbywu
Have you tried to wipe the stain? Dust it, then use a microfiber towel and a appropriate plastic detailer. It'll be interesting to see if it is a stain or a problem with the plastic itself.
I'm thinking what appears to be a stain is actually in the LCD itself and not correctable from the outside. OP is going to need a new LCD which could be repairable. Might suggest doing a search for Porsche instrument repair if the car is out of warranty.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys

yes, It's definitely in the LCD itself.

unfortunately, It is 06 and has no warranty at this point.

so.. can only LCD replaceable?

Old 12-28-2010, 04:29 AM
chris_u is on a distinguished road
hello im new here but i have a idea for you disconnect the battery for awhile that sometime resets LCD screens. just a thought .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Found weird spot/stain in instrument display