997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sports Cats Falling Apart or CELs??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:42 PM
bogart101 is just really nicebogart101 is just really nicebogart101 is just really nicebogart101 is just really nice
Not to hijack the thread...but I just got an email from Mike that my cats ad cans are manufactured and ready to ship. I plan to install them with X51 headers. I cant wait!

Ive read many good things about the setup and AWE. My only comment at this time is that Mike has been great to deal with and I started considering this mod when i purchased the car in July. I even took a detour and visited Mike at the shop. He took me on a tour and was extremly helpful and knowledgeable. Great facility and no hard sell. Just kept answering my questions honestly and professionally. I saw the holiday sale and HAD to pull the trigger.

Good Luck with your decision.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:09 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
I have AWE cats on my car, I am quite happy aside from the CEL lights... I do track my car as said, so that may be a factor, but I've had the CEL lights show up from the 3rd or 4th track event which is kind of surprising...

No rattle whatsoever, and the performance gain over the whole system was impressive

Once I'm back in Miami, I'll check if I have the HJS version or not

Old 12-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Mike at AWE is the man, no doubt about it. He's been fantastic with me from day 1, and that's why I proudly wear an AWE License Plate Frame- seen in this pic.
CATTMAN

Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
Mike at AWE is the man, no doubt about it. He's been fantastic with me from day 1, and that's why I proudly wear an AWE License Plate Frame- seen in this pic.
CATTMAN
Thanks for the new screensaver...

What track?

Old 12-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sin911
I have AWE cats on my car, I am quite happy aside from the CEL lights... I do track my car as said, so that may be a factor, but I've had the CEL lights show up from the 3rd or 4th track event which is kind of surprising...

No rattle whatsoever, and the performance gain over the whole system was impressive

Once I'm back in Miami, I'll check if I have the HJS version or not
Can you email me the codes you are seeing? The P number and description would be helpful.

As I said earlier, if you have the HJS cats, and your O2 sensors are in good shape, then you should not see any CEL's.

Hit me with an email.

Mike@awe-tuning.com

Old 12-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by bogart101
Not to hijack the thread...but I just got an email from Mike that my cats ad cans are manufactured and ready to ship. I plan to install them with X51 headers. I cant wait!

Ive read many good things about the setup and AWE. My only comment at this time is that Mike has been great to deal with and I started considering this mod when i purchased the car in July. I even took a detour and visited Mike at the shop. He took me on a tour and was extremly helpful and knowledgeable. Great facility and no hard sell. Just kept answering my questions honestly and professionally. I saw the holiday sale and HAD to pull the trigger.

Good Luck with your decision.
Wow, that is one hell of a compliment. Thank you.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:40 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mike/AWE
Can you email me the codes you are seeing? The P number and description would be helpful.

As I said earlier, if you have the HJS cats, and your O2 sensors are in good shape, then you should not see any CEL's.

Hit me with an email.

Mike@awe-tuning.com
Hey Mike,

As I remember I sent you the codes via PM a while back but maybe you just didn't get them

I had the codes written down, I'll send it as a PM again.

I am not sure if it's the HJS model, I'll need to check once I'm back in town.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike/AWE
Thanks for the new screensaver...

What track?
Road Atlanta. Have more pics if you want 'em, feel free to us them however you like, just let me know.
CATTMAN

Old 12-23-2010, 08:39 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
I have had my AWE 200 cell cats on my car for about 7,000 miles. I haven't had any issues yet and I bought them used on this forum. I don't have a rattle or anything at all and I'm very picky. I had them professionally installed, so maybe that is one reason for my positive experience.
By the way, mine are AWE HJS and I haven't had any CELs.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 12-23-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:32 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
OP here... thanks very much all who chimed in.

I'm going to call Mike at AWE and see if I can get more comfortable. Overall, from this and other related threads, it seems most folks are happy with the purchase and the service from AWE...

BUT when 1) VividRacing, who sells sports cats say they sometimes trip CELs and 2) the cats are the only part of AWE's exhaust system that doesn't get a lifetime warranty (it gets only 1 year), I think it's probably wise to proceed with caution. Added problem in NYC is that the competent mechanics here are very pricey, so to add O2 sensors later, remove problematic cats, etc. -- the costs can really add up quickly.

I'll definitely update this thread once things are finalized, hopefully with some great results to attest to

Merry Xmas to all!

Old 12-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Cattman
Road Atlanta. Have more pics if you want 'em, feel free to us them however you like, just let me know.
CATTMAN
PLEASE.

Hit me with an email.
Mike@awe-tuning.com

You mind if we use the pictures and a quote for our new web site?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:26 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by KonaKai
OP here... thanks very much all who chimed in.

I'm going to call Mike at AWE and see if I can get more comfortable. Overall, from this and other related threads, it seems most folks are happy with the purchase and the service from AWE...

BUT when 1) VividRacing, who sells sports cats say they sometimes trip CELs and 2) the cats are the only part of AWE's exhaust system that doesn't get a lifetime warranty (it gets only 1 year), I think it's probably wise to proceed with caution. Added problem in NYC is that the competent mechanics here are very pricey, so to add O2 sensors later, remove problematic cats, etc. -- the costs can really add up quickly.

I'll definitely update this thread once things are finalized, hopefully with some great results to attest to

Merry Xmas to all!
Kona, talk to Rich at Unlimited Autosport in Oyster Bay. I am very happy with them.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:03 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Thx Lacrosse. Yes, Rich did my Gundo cans. He and Jeremy and great guys and I'd work with them again..

Old 12-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
I had the fabspeed sport cat X-pipe on my car. I loved it. Was my favorite mod that I did. No CELs or rattling at all. I believe both AWE and Fabspeed now use the same 200 cell HJS cat from Germany.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Guys, OP here. Wanted to provide a brief update on my intial impressions before I post a full video/pics in the coming weeks.

After speaking with Mike at AWE, I decided to buy the cats because I learned that the EVOM ECU can be set to eliminate the possibility of any CELs and because I was satisifed with the build quality of the new generation HJS cats. In addition to the cats, I decided to install X51 headers, EVOM intake and IPD Plenum at the same time, for two reasons. 1) Knowing myself and reading about how the mod bug can be tamed but not conquered, I felt it wiser to go ahead and do them all in one shot rather than slowly appease myself over the coming year. 2) From reading all the past threads, I also concluded that when modding an NA engine, the best results are achieved when mods are done together with other mods (i.e., sum of parts is greater than individual mods). Or at least that was my way of convincing myself to go big. So basically my goal was to get more air in and out and eliminate any bottlenecks along the path.

And so, I drove 400 miles this weekend (to the Pats game and back - go Jets!)... the first real drive after the mods.

Performance: My initial impressions are a good power gain in the mid/high revs, particularly in 3rd and 4th. Car pulls a bit harder to the redline, but not dramatically so. No noticeable loss of power in the low end. I'd say on performance alone, the mods weren't game-changing and maybe not worth the cost, if it weren't for...

Sound: Wow - huge difference! The Gundo cans (2" pipe) alone were very good in tone but not loud enough. Now, the growl starts as soon as I feed the throttle and builds progressively to 5K RPM, where it sounds like a deep jet engine on takeoff. Not for the faint of heart! Truth be told, it was a bit much on the long highway trip this weekend, but I have no regrets and overall am very happy with the sound.

I realize that some will prefer I dyno'd before and after, or wish I installed the mods in intervals, so I could judge each mod on its own merits, but hopefully some good video footage will make up for that!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sports Cats Falling Apart or CELs??