997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sports Cats Falling Apart or CELs??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 PM
478100 has a spectacular aura about478100 has a spectacular aura about
I installed a set of FABSPEED (200 cell) cats on my 2006 C2 cab. I keep the stock mufflers, the ensuing CEL's were RICH BANK REAR. FABSPEED sent me some extensions which were installed by my local Porsche dealer, with new muffler gaskets and new muffler clamps. Now my CEL's are all four O2 sensors. The dealer tells me (reduced) exhaust back pressure is affecting the foward O2 sensor. I'll be contacting FABSPEED to see if they'll stand behind their product.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:23 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 478100
I installed a set of FABSPEED (200 cell) cats on my 2006 C2 cab. I keep the stock mufflers, the ensuing CEL's were RICH BANK REAR. FABSPEED sent me some extensions which were installed by my local Porsche dealer, with new muffler gaskets and new muffler clamps. Now my CEL's are all four O2 sensors. The dealer tells me (reduced) exhaust back pressure is affecting the foward O2 sensor. I'll be contacting FABSPEED to see if they'll stand behind their product.

You say that all 4 sensors are now throwing codes? I apologize for speaking out of turn, but that does not really sound like a cat issue. Sounds like you may have some other minor mechanical problem with the car.

I know you are already aware of this, but this is for those that are not. The front O2 sensors (these are before the cats) don't play a roll so much with the emissions. The rear O2 sensor is the one that monitors if the cat is doing its job.

A bad cat, incorrect cat, cheap cat, or improper rear O2 sensor spacing will be the culprit behind codes which will more often then not register as "catalyst efficiency below threshold".

As for your dealing saying the reduced backpressue is the issue, well that is just his way of placing blame. That is simply not correct.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:26 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Odd thing, may be fabspeed replaced cat`s supplier so it acts different. I had x-pipe with their mufflers before softronic flash for a week or so and had no CELs, but then got flash so now it is irrelevant.

did they tell you what is an exact code your O2 sensors give now, if all 4 are doing it?

honestly i find it very odd for all 4 sensors to throw codes as sensors do not care what pressure you got in the cats and sensors BEFORE cats are not affected usually by version of cats as both pressure and teperature there is usually same.

BTW, did dealer put those extension tubes to sensors before or AFTER cats? if they screw it into holes before cats then you will get codes from all 4... it would be utterly stupid things to do but i would expect anything from a dealer.

it is just odd why would sensors before cats start complaining.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks to both Mike @ AWE and utkinpol. The O2 sensor extensions were correctly installed; aft of the CATS. The CEL codes are : 2196, 2197, 2097, 2098, + 2270. As far as the quality of the CATS, I assume that FABSPEED sent me a genuine product. I am trying to contact Joe at FABSPEED, as I hope they'll stand behind their product.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks to both Mike @ AWE and utkinpol. The O2 sensor extensions were correctly installed; aft of the CATS. The CEL codes are : 2196, 2197, 2097, 2098, + 2270. As far as the quality of the CATS, I assume that FABSPEED sent me a genuine product. I am trying to contact Joe at FABSPEED, as I hope they'll stand behind their product.
odb2 codes are standard - look em up there:
http://www.hallsautoonline.com/obd_i...efinitions.htm

P2196 O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich
P2197 O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean

P2097 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Rich
P2098 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean

P2270 O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean

kinda interesting combination, i have to say, if it comes from all 4 sesnsors simultaniously. are those sensors even connected to anything?

Last edited by utkinpol; 02-07-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 PM
My newly acquired Actron OBD II Scan Tool confirms the codes. All the sensors on the cats are properly connected. One of the techs at Fabspeed has suggested cleaning the MAF sensor (w/ MAF cleaner). They also suggested that when one sensor goes bad it could cause the remaining sensors to throw codes. Other suggestion were block fuel filter or (not related) vacume leaks. This car has 21,000 miles.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Did NorthVan ever get his rattling AWE cats replaced?

Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 AM
My newly acquired Actron OBD II Scan Tool confirms the codes. All the sensors on the cats are properly connected. One of the techs at Fabspeed has suggested cleaning the MAF sensor (w/ MAF cleaner). They also suggested that when one sensor goes bad it could cause the remaining sensors to throw codes. Other suggestion were block fuel filter or (not related) vacume leaks. This car has 21,000 miles.
well... i would buy those 2 after cat $55 sensors and replaced them. easy job to do anyway. just check which ones - i have 3.6L so i searched for them.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...en_sensor.html

i doubt it is about sensors... to take off x-pipe and put on back stock cats is a 2 hour job max in your garage, you can do that too and compare codes with old sensors, if there will be any. it is an odd situation, not sure what do you get and why. O2 sensors are kinda sensitive to abuse, if they were mishandled during installation - it could be that too. who knows.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Hey 478100, it was good talking to you and I hope the information I provided will help you find and rectify the problem that is causing these CE lights to come on. PM me or give me a call if you have any questions and keep us updated on the issue and how it gets resolved. Your 997 has a great system on it, so it deserves to be driven without any problems.
thanks

PS: Thanks to everyone for the great feedback and helpful information for anyone that is thinking about upgrading to Sport cats or having problems with catalytic converters on their vehicles. We use only the top of the line 200 Cell HJS cats like Mike said earlier, so you don't have to worry about CE lights, rattling or any other issues on your car. PM me if you have any questions or if you are interested and I will give a nice member discount on our X Pipe Sport Cat. Enjoy your cars.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
i doubt it is about sensors... to take off x-pipe and put on back stock cats is a 2 hour job max in your garage, you can do that too and compare codes with old sensors, if there will be any. it is an odd situation, not sure what do you get and why. O2 sensors are kinda sensitive to abuse, if they were mishandled during installation - it could be that too. who knows.
I put the stock (OE) cats back, went for a couple of fast runs, did 3 or 4 engine starts; no CEL's. So now I suspect it's the Fabspeed Cats. Alex @ Fabspeed wants me to send them back to Fabspeed, which I'll do. But now what?

Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
I had my AWE cats on the car for over 20k miles with no issues.

Dave

Old 02-15-2011, 09:04 AM
I put the stock (OE) cats back, went for a couple of fast runs, did 3 or 4 engine starts; no CEL's. So now I suspect it's the Fabspeed Cats. Alex @ Fabspeed wants me to send them back to Fabspeed, which I'll do. But now what?
nothing I can say here. may be cats, may be somethng else.
but if you have no CELs with your stock ones it is probably indicative enough.

i drove with my fabspeed x-pipe without softronic for 3 or 4 days I think, i had no CELs. go figure...

Old 02-15-2011, 03:56 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
Please keep us updated as to what the issue was. Sounds like it was the X-pipe causing the CEL which is enough to scare me away from them but let us know if it is otherwise.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Oddly enough, my Fabspeed cats are not the X-pipe type, but the individual cat pipe assemblies. I was unable to find any markings indicating they are 'HJS' brand cat converter cells. I wonder if this has anything to do with the problems of CEL's?

Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't know Fabspeed still sold the old, non-X type version. When did you purchase them new from them? The non-X type cats like yours do not have the new HJS cats, those were used starting with the X-pipe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sports Cats Falling Apart or CELs??