997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Battery Not Charging 997 S, New Alternator and Battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
I seem to be having this problem as well- Does anyone know if the issue is usually isolated to the Alternator <> Starter main wire, or possibly also the main wire from side of transmission connection block <> alternator?

I have read posts in different threads on both of these specific wires having issue.

AFAIK, the main wire from alternator to battery runs to a terminal block in the passenger footwell, the next segment from there terminates on the passenger side of the transmission area, then the last segment runs to the alternator. The last segment is apparently an issue with getting burned up by engine heat, and it appears the wire between alternator and starter is as well.

does this sound about right?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:51 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up replacing 997 defective battery / alternator cable

Originally Posted by p0rsch3
I seem to be having this problem as well- Does anyone know if the issue is usually isolated to the Alternator <> Starter main wire, or possibly also the main wire from side of transmission connection block <> alternator?

I have read posts in different threads on both of these specific wires having issue.

AFAIK, the main wire from alternator to battery runs to a terminal block in the passenger footwell, the next segment from there terminates on the passenger side of the transmission area, then the last segment runs to the alternator. The last segment is apparently an issue with getting burned up by engine heat, and it appears the wire between alternator and starter is as well.

does this sound about right?
Never mind, I found the answer. This is actually one cable. The cable that runs from alternator to starter has three connection points on it. Connects at (a) starter, (b) junction block by side of transmission and (c) alternator.

The junction block by transmission also terminates the main cable which runs up to the battery.

Sunset Porsche in Portland has the part for 2006 6speed 997 priced at $89. Tips require a different cable. It is more common for the 6speed replacement part to be in stock, tip is usually special order (I don't know why, that is what I was told).

Hope this helps!

Old 11-23-2011, 08:25 PM
windjunkie is on a distinguished road
My Porsche dealer replaced the starter wiring harness under warranty on my 2006 C2S at 15,300 miles. Now 2 1/2 years later with the car out of warranty at 25,000 miles I am having the exact same issues with battery drain. My guess is the cause is exactly the same as before namely a defective starter wiring harness which is caused by excessive heating. Does anyone have any experience with Porsche honoring the repair of a warranty repair after the warranty period has expired?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:13 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
It was my understanding that the replacement cables are heavier and so therefore should not fail like the original cables did. Are you sure your battery isn't failing?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:22 PM
windjunkie is on a distinguished road
Hi Ken - the battery was replaced at the time of the starter wiring harness replacement three years ago. I've driven the car faithfully 3 - 4 times a weeks - never less than 10 - 15 miles per drive. I will know the final verdict Monday when the folks at Dieter's return from the long weekend.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:22 PM
fritzcurtis is on a distinguished road
The battery cable issue is a known problem with early 2005 997s. It was a defect from the manufacturer when Porsche subbed out the part. The cable has to much voltage coming over it for the cable to handle. This is why the newer cable is thicker. You know you have this problemm on your car if at the starter, there is either corrosion or black charring. The car will act like the battery is dead when in fact it is not. Turn the key off and try turning the engine over again. In most cases it will start. Hope this helps.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:41 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Great thread guys! Unfortunately, my car is at the dealer right now getting the alternator cable replaced for the same issue! My car is an '05 Carrera S (launch edition - very early model 997) with 44k miles.

For comparison, the dealer here in Atlanta is charging about $120 for the cable and $1080 for the labor. Yes, this is a very labor-intensive job but I know I have the right people working on it.

My car was also slow to crank, more noticeable when the engine is warm. I got stranded out shopping 3 months ago, so had the car jumped and then replaced the battery. Same thing happened Christmas Eve while out shopping - the car wouldn't start. This told me I had bigger problems so I took it in. Thanks for all the good information in this thread!

Let's all keep our fingers crossed that maybe one day PCNA will issue an official recall and reimburse all of us who have paid out of pocket.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:35 PM
ssamuelson is on a distinguished road
2006 997 with melted battery cable

My 2006 911 has been slow to start, having to use a "trickler" overnight every couple weeks. I had the battery checked out OK, but the alternator was only at 12.9 instead of 14.0? I took it to McKenna Porsche in Norwalk and they said the battery cable melted and it will cost $3,200 because they have to remove the engine!

I have 70,000 miles and had it thoroughly checked just before my warranty expired at 60,000 last August. This is outrageous...any suggestions?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:12 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Suggest getting another estimate from an Indy.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:20 AM
KeninIrvine,

I assume you are in Irvine.... Since I was under warranty until last August, my only repairs and maintenance were with Dealers. Any suggestions for Independent Mechanics in OC?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:04 AM
I like Hergesheimer in Lake Forest.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Hiway is on a distinguished road
I have the exact same issue on my '06 4s Cab. I've replaced the battery and still having problems. Looks like I will be heading to the shop next week for a new cable. I sure hope its not $3,200 like someone said - $1,200 is bad enough. You would think that this would be some kind of recall with all the issues.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:33 PM
997 alternator / battery cable

I forgot to update my situation. As I mentioned in my earlier post, McKenna Porsche quoted $3200 to replace the cables because they have to drop the engine. I contacted Porsche of North America personally and explained the situation; they agreed to pay 100% of the replacement!

I think this decision had a lot to do with my 60,000 mile check-up that I documented the alternator was not charging the battery (the dealer thought they fixed it by replacing the battery). If I did not document this problem in writing 10,000 miles earlier, I doubt if porsche would have agreed to fix it.

Let this be a lesson for all of us....make certain you mention any and all problems (list it on the work order) when the car is still under warranty

Old 09-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djlod
the fat stiff cable that bolts to the back of the alternator.
I'm not sure if this job is a DIY.
Email me or leave me your number and I'll call you.
Good luck.
Here is the link to the DYI for the battery cable replacement on a car with manual tranny. It starts at post #53 and includes an R/R for the AOS. It is well documented with many pics. The process is not for the faint of heart nor those lacking a well stocked tool crib. It is however the only post of it's kind I have seen for this proceedure.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...equinox-4.html