997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What would you choose? RED or Black 2006 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:09 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 01-15-2011, 02:41 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by p997fanatic
So the difference is actually $4500 more for the red one. Plus the black one already comes with the nav drive..i just need to install it. So the question really is, is it worth spending $4,500 (plus 9.5% tax) more for Sports Chrono+ and some nicer rims and 6,000 miles?
Well, yes. Certainly. To me anyway. What matters is your own gut. And about that black one already "coming with the nav drive." I don't even know what that might mean. Since it matters to you, I think you should be sure the salesman knows. Preferably, get someone here who believes it can be done as a field retrofit to explain exactly how the car must be configured from the factory to make it feasible and then require the dealer to confirm the car is that way in writing. As a matter of fact, since it matters and he says it can be retrofitted, I would negotiate for that car with the nav installed and get his price for that "out the door." Offhand, I'd bet it will be a higher price than the guy is asking for the red car that already has Nav and Sport Chrono.

I talked to an Audi salesperson today and he said no. He said in two years the cars will both be worth the same for one and for two he said black actually sells three times more than red.
You don't mention where you are and this is obviously a combination of the local weather and social customs. Around here, a standard Porsche is certainly not a car that makes people feel conspicuous. Well, not potential buyers anyway. Some people feel conspicuous driving anything that's been washed since 1973 I suppose. But not sports car buyers. A Porsche in California is a beautiful car that draws comments on its beauty, but unless you park in a Prius festival, you don't get hard looks from anyone.

The color only enters into the car being noticed if you buy a GT3 with one of those multi-color paint schemes.

Despite it being area dependent, I'm very surprised anybody lives somewhere that black Porsches outsell red by three to one. We considered a black one side by side with the silver one we did buy. It was gorgeous, but so are most of the colors on a Porsche's body work. The difference is you have to make a life commitment to detailing your car if you plan to drive it in all weather and it's black. For us, it's a daily driver and black just meant too much care for our lifestyle. One of the nice points was that black is very unusual around here. The one we were considering was the only one of any model in the inventory of a very large dealer.

Now, red is different. Pretty conservative actually, compared to yellow or one of the very bright colors, and I kept asking whether they had a red one configured similar to the silver and black ones we were considering. Damn near drove thirty miles to check out another dealer, just to have a red coupe to consider because the several on this guy's lot were all cabs or targas.

So since you ask, I'd buy the red one with the options you want and a price that is lower than it will cost to get the black one configured the way you want it. Lower mileage is a Christmas present. But that's me.

Gary

Old 01-15-2011, 10:48 PM
MSCHWA3439 is infamous around these parts
black, withouit a doubt

Old 01-15-2011, 11:24 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Ok..the RED car just raised his price by $3,000. Is it still worth it?
Even if it was worth it .. just the fact that a seller would raise the price makes it an automatic dealbreaker in my opinion. If you gave a deposit .. time to stop payment or have an attorney draft a letter to motivate the swift return of your money . Do not lose the deposit(even if you opt for small claims court) and buy the black car.

Last edited by yrralis1; 01-15-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:36 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by simsgw
... I'm very surprised anybody lives somewhere that black Porsches outsell red by three to one.

Be surprised -Black, Gray, Silver here - some Midnight and maybe White. Red - or anything else - is probably special order for the most part.

Black is not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The main thing is to wash it yourself - or use a really good detailer. But with some simple care that probably should be the same with any color, it is not so bad - been doing it forever.

Such a personal thing though - I'd just go with the car I liked best - me me me me me.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:49 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Don't let wheels be your deciding factor either. You can pick up a set on Ebay (ususally take-offs) for about $2k --- then you can resell the ones you have to offset the cost.

Getting a Basalt black car was a jump for me. I was worried about always keeping it clean. Now, I kind of like the way it looks when it gets a little dirty --- it's sort of a 5 O'clock shadow look for your car!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:40 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stevepow
Be surprised -Black, Gray, Silver here - some Midnight and maybe White. Red - or anything else - is probably special order for the most part.
Okay!

Gary, hoping that's the face that means
'surprised' because he actually looks like
someone just grabbed him by the

Old 01-16-2011, 07:10 PM
911 Molar is on a distinguished road
black, ya never go back.
molar

Old 01-17-2011, 04:17 PM
big_willy is on a distinguished road
Once you go BLACK you don't BACK.

Black looks by far the best. A biatch to keep clean but when it is clean, there is no equal. Just looks flat out MEAN...