997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

driving impressions after a week: 997 S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 09:24 PM
The Hot Banana
KO KAINE is on a distinguished road
driving impressions after a week: 997 S

Been driving it for a week:

First off let me say that this is my first 911, and I am probably not as skilled a driver as many or most of you. This is a totally different car (as you know) and driving it is totally new to me.

1. LITTLE BASTARD PUSHES! I am running the red brakes and from what I read the ceramics help quite a bit due to the weight savings. Even in Sport mode, wow does it oversteer. But who gives a ****? I wanted the ceramics, but certainly was not going to wait 3-4 mths for an ordered vehicle. Now you got me thinking.............

2. SPORT CHRONO is a must-have option. period. dot. com

3. 997's BURN OIL. dropping MOBIL 1 in after 300 miles, and I got the car with 27 miles on it. Probably driving a little harder than the 4200 RPM break-in, but she does go through some oil, no ****.

4. THE GEAR-BOX IS STIFF. I have the optional Sport-Shifter kit, and it is pretty notchy, especially at low speeds. First gear is TIGHT. Does this loosen up after some miles??....Please say yes! Is this all 997's? S model only? or Sport Shifter problem??

5. I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE IT CORRECTLY: This is a wonderful car, probably too much for me. I have never really been a Porsche guy (except the sexy 993). In Sport Mode, it is really an animal! You really need to NOT upset the balance of this car to get some act-right out of it. But you guys already know this.

6. PEOPLE LOVE THIS CAR!: Everywhere I go, people LOVE IT. I think the color (KOKONUT KUSTARD/sand beige full leather/yellow guages) has a lot to do with it because the layman doesnt know this from a 996 or 993 or any 911 for that matter, but people really give me love on the street.

7. THE 997 IS THE BEST LOOKING PORSCHE EVER BUILT (IMHO).

8. THIS CAR IS A DISEASE: When everything is right and you have the room to air it out, GOD is it flawless!! Its like they actually made a machine that interacts properly with humans, ya know??........Oversteer, bumpy ride due to 19's, whatever. This thing is so refined I am just in love with it. Cant wait to see the C4 + TT, must be really marvelous cars coming from Porsche cause this ***** is no joke!

Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2005, 09:33 PM
rss997 is on a distinguished road
Sport shifter loosens up (1600) miles now.

My car has not brned any oil and I have driven it a bit hard after 1000 miles.

It is a disease, the days I drive my other car all I can think about is my black baby!

Old 03-18-2005, 09:37 PM
The Hot Banana
RSS 997.......burned NO oil??? what line is it reading at when you get in (after 1600 miles) ???

am i doing something wrong???

where should it be? at the top arrow line? mine is at the 2nd line.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:15 PM
bpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the rough
My 997S did not lose one drop of oil and it had 1200 miles on it before I sent it to Evo to be supercharged..... Yeah, should be back in a couple weeks with about 500 hp! I sure miss it..

Old 03-18-2005, 11:42 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
KO KAINE,
we need to hook u up if u're in LA. want to see it in person badly. which part of LA are u in?

Old 03-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Trundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond repute
Do yourself a favor and sign-up for PDE
www.porschedriving.com
You will have a blast and learn something about driving a 997 from some of the best.

Old 03-19-2005, 11:31 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
PDE is a great place to start.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
I agree about PDE - just got back and can't believe how much I learned. The instructors really LOVE the 997 too, and were not hesitant to tell us all the vast improvements over the 996.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:11 PM
911 flyn is on a distinguished road
Burning oil ? after 300 miles ?how much did you put in? where was the line when you first got the car?

Old 03-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Doctor K will become famous soon enough
Brief test drive.

I had my TT in the dealership for very minor warranty work. They had two 997s in stock and the kind salesman was telling me "you gotta drive the 997. blah blah etc." The one I drove was the special paint cobalt blue with a light grey interior, 6 speed. Beautiful car. I was very impressed with the changes P has made to the interior. Gauge locations etc and power window switches are greatly improved.
Gear shifter was a little tight getting into first but shifted smoothly. The car is quick throught the gears in town. The sticker said $85,000+.
I couldn't help but think to myself as I was leaving what comparable car I could buy for that kind of money! I came up with several cars that could equal the Porsche, maybe beat it.
Don't get me wrong I have owned 8 Porsches in my lifetime, and will look at the 2006 TT when it comes out. I wouldn't trade my TT for any other car I have ever driven. IMHO Porsche needs to do some serious re-thinking on their pricing. The new Z06 is priced somewhere in the high $60,000. Porsche AG should produce a Carrera that that is comparable to the plain jane Corvette, and the upgrade to the Carrera S should be more in line with the Z06 pricing.

Old 03-19-2005, 03:12 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I really don't think a Z06 is comparable to 911. It's like comparing XLR or SC430 to SL500. They are comparable in size, feature, even performance but a car is more than just that. It's an image of you. XLR and SC430 just doesn't spell class.

When I see a vette driver, I see a white 30 yo honk or 50 yo mid life crisis guy. He is looking for performance and value. 911 drivers convey something else to my mind.

997S is selling well and rightfully so. It's hard to make 996 better and that's what Porsche achieved. Is it expensive? Yeah. Is it worth it? You know the answer.

Old 03-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Doctor K will become famous soon enough
I hear what you are saying. There is a mystique around the Porsche image that has been well earned. I traded a 2004 C5 in on my 2001 TT and would do it again. There is little comparison between the cars.
The dealership was complaining that they cannot give the 04s away when customers have seen and driven the 997.
The high point of my day was spying a 04 TT Cab-blk/blk/blk. Although I love my Speed Yellow "cup cake" the black cab was awesome enough to make me re-think my ideas of what I really want (need).
My chief complaint is initial pricing on all new Porsche automobiles.
They sure don't give em away do they!

Best

Larry

Old 03-19-2005, 05:50 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I actually think 911 pose great value, especially since dealers are selling 997 w/ 4-7% discount and 996 are over 10-12% off easy. The price of options is what I can't swallow and std equipment alone just doesn't meet buyer expectation.

Best deal remains 2-3 yr old used. Risks in shorter warranty can be mitigated thru getting a certified.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:08 PM
The Hot Banana
911 FLYIN: got the car a week ago, it was to the top (arrow) line, or one from the "top" of the guage. now it is at the second from the bottom, dealer said add half-qaurt increments til fill line.........I am not driving it like a (total) *******, either!......................DID I GET A LEMON!?!?!?!!?!! manual + dealer say it burns oil.....all you guys are looking at me like I'm crazy, your **** isnt burning any oil.......hmmmmm.

the new topic (all others): YES this thing is over-priced! THEY DING YOU FOR EVERY OPTIO!!!! they charge extra for FLOOR MATS! ridiculous, but if you want the car I guess you pay right? I think they should take it easy on the pricing but the way they are selling WHY WOULD THEY????...................................prices are retarded, nuff said.

2-3 yr old 996 are the smartest deal but I really had NO interest in the car from a looks standpoint.

like I said the only other porsche for me is a 993.I always love seeing them here in LA. cool ride!................996=pasadena (for me). no disrespect to all 996 owners, its just my .02.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:29 PM
911 flyn is on a distinguished road
Ko,

I would keep a log on how much oil you use, it sounds excessive,
I've got 2K miles on my 997 and have used no oil.

If youre not driving like a total a hole, what are you driving like? and what does that mean?

Just curious, are you friends with a guy named yellowbmr?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: driving impressions after a week: 997 S