997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Leaving the 997 fold for now

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:53 PM
fjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to all
That M3 looks great!!!

Old 02-27-2011, 04:58 PM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
I noticed that the M3's license plate says '911 DJH'... an indication that you will be in a 911 in no time.

I just realized that you live between FL and the UK where you have an RS... in that case the M3 in FL makes a lot of sense. The 11 is far more better suited to the rolling/curvy english countryside backroads.
I kept the personal plate from my 911, figured it was appropriate anyway since I'm going into medicine and that way I can put it back on my next 911 .

One of my major factors in this decision was the fact that out here in FL the tightest corner I get to negotiate is a stop light, therefore it's almost a waste to me, especially when I'm used to such incredible roads as the one's in the UK.

Originally Posted by drdrilz
congrats. awesome car. and you got a great deal. m3 are going for invoice these days, even for special orders, but your deal sounds better. perfect daily driver.
I'm very happy with the deal, in fact I had no intention of buying so soon but $10k off sticker was a deal far too good to pass up. It's not exactly a hardship to drive a new M3 while I'm medical school

Old 02-27-2011, 07:34 PM
carfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura about
997.2 C4S is a superior car than an E92 M3, but for a small margin only

Regarding DD, the E90 or E92 M3 is really the best car in the world !

Old 02-27-2011, 10:23 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Beautiful car. Congrats. I have had two M3s and enjoyed them immensely. They are a great mix of practicality and fun.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Hey Dave,

Like we discussed in an earlier thread you will enjoy the M3. I too hope to be back in a PCar one day when the R.Estate markets turn around and I can afford to have multiple cars. In the meantime you will enjoy the M3. Here is my Melbourne Red ZCP car..

Enjoy the new M3..

Old 02-28-2011, 01:19 PM
drdrilz is a jewel in the roughdrdrilz is a jewel in the roughdrdrilz is a jewel in the rough
im looking at a new M3 for my daily driver soon, e92. i see the OP took the carbon fiber roof and dave07 took the moonroof option. what made you guys decide what you did? i hardly use the moonroof but i also will never benefit from the lighter weight of the carbon fiber. i think i may choose carbon fiber roof for looks and rigidity. thanks

Old 02-28-2011, 01:27 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DaveHutchinson
I sold my 997 yesterday and moved into an '11 M3. It's certainly a very different car but with the miles I'm doing at the moment and of course the wonderful 4 years of free maintenance and factory warranty, it suits my needs a lot better. I did after all get 44k miles of fun out of my 911!
Dave, this car is great and is definitely more practical but as your move was (as I understood) somewhat financially motivated - ain`t this M3 car even more expensive than your old '06 997?

Old 02-28-2011, 01:42 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Dave, this car is great and is definitely more practical but as your move was (as I understood) somewhat financially motivated - ain`t this M3 car even more expensive than your old '06 997?
Seems like he said he swapped the 911 and a BMW 135 for it and no cash. So a newer car with no maintenance and 4yr warranty. Sounds good when you look at it that way, unless I didn't understand the deal.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
im looking at a new M3 for my daily driver soon, e92. i see the OP took the carbon fiber roof and dave07 took the moonroof option. what made you guys decide what you did? i hardly use the moonroof but i also will never benefit from the lighter weight of the carbon fiber. i think i may choose carbon fiber roof for looks and rigidity. thanks

I live by the beach in L.A. so I wanted the moonroof, its a no charge option but I also had to order the car this way. There is no difference in rigidity in my eyes between the CF roof and the moonroof, the CF roof is lighter though by 38lbs. and I like the look of the red roof. There isn't a day that goes by that the roof isn't open, unless rain of course.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:52 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stevepow
Seems like he said he swapped the 911 and a BMW 135 for it and no cash. So a newer car with no maintenance and 4yr warranty. Sounds good when you look at it that way, unless I didn't understand the deal.
BMW with no maintenance - I`ll believe in it when I`ll see it.

I would smply keep 135 car in such situation, but it is me.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:19 PM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
I love CF and I hear that BMW make a sizable profit if you spec the moonroof as a no cost option. I think the CF looks amazing and since its there standard, why not?!

No and this was a huge misconception from my previous thread. It was in no way shape or form a financially motivated decision, it was simply future prudence. I nearly bought a 997.2 but didn't want to jump in this late in the development cycle with the 991 on the horizon. The M3 was significantly more than my 06 C2S yes but I traded in my 135i as well.

BMW with no maintenance - I`ll believe in it when I`ll see it.

I would smply keep 135 car in such situation, but it is me.
My 135i AND my 911 were both needing extended warranties this year. Those combined totaled $8500, a sizable chunk to put down which I could simply apply to a trade in and come out with a new car with no maintenance or warranty worries. The BMW 4 year plan truly is free and the discount I got on the MSRP more than covered the inflated cost that's probably built into the M3's base price.

Dave I love your M3 and I did spend a lot of time looking over yours and your story before pulling the trigger myself. I didn't spec the competition package because I wanted to put a new set of HRE's on anyway!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:07 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911cv
Wow, you and I are on the same wave length!

I test drove an '09 M3 yesterday and I am still deciding. I would like to keep my Porsche and use the M3 for a DD.

What do you think of the DCT? The one I drove was a manual. Also, how good of a deal did you get (if you don't mind sharing).

Congrats on a beautiful car!
There are some cars that manual is better and some that its just the preference of the driver, but for the M3 the DCT makes the car perform so much better.

I test drove a manual M3 for a long and fun test drive and was let down with the acceleration. I was driving the car very aggesively and even was double checking to make sure the M button was on and was set correctly. They did not have a DCT to try but the GM of the dealer menitoned that he drove one and it was much faster then the manual.

Soon after I went to the M-school and got to drive the DCT M3 and was very impressed. Myself the instructors and the other participants thought the M3 was the best car there, over the M5 and M6.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:20 PM
ksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to all
Way to go Dave, you did it. Got your message here in UK the other night. Be back home in Fla. on Wednesday so look forward to seeing it soon.
Don't forget there's my C4S Cab sitting there if you need to scratch that itch!!!!!LOL.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:25 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Hey Dave,

Like we discussed in an earlier thread you will enjoy the M3. I too hope to be back in a PCar one day when the R.Estate markets turn around and I can afford to have multiple cars. In the meantime you will enjoy the M3. Here is my Melbourne Red ZCP car..

Enjoy the new M3..
Love those wheels! They look like the E46 Competition Package wheels. Are they the same?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:34 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I'm an inch away from the change myself. Dealers are pretty competitive here in the NE, but they are trying to take me to the cleaners on the 911. Beyond the wheels with the competition package you get the lowered suspension and modified EDC - that package is the biggest draw for me to get a 2011 instead of a used one. Curious where you got it...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Leaving the 997 fold for now