997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Midnight Blue - Is it purple in the light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Midnight Blue - Is it purple in the light?

I am considering a midnight blue car and read through many posts and there were some posts that suggested it looks purple (ish) in the direct sunlight. Is this accurate? I would think midnight blue would be pretty dark based upon the name. Would love it if it's a Navy type of color. Any owners regret their purchase of MB?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:02 AM
redline C4s is infamous around these parts
i remember my dad had a 996 turbo in midnight blue, by far my favorite blue, and one of my favorite colors for a Porsche. i don't remember a purplish tint in sunlight but its a darker and deep blue, just like the name sounds like.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:10 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Michael_s
I am considering a midnight blue car and read through many posts and there were some posts that suggested it looks purple (ish) in the direct sunlight. Is this accurate? I would think midnight blue would be pretty dark based upon the name. Would love it if it's a Navy type of color. Any owners regret their purchase of MB?
I know there are many shades of midnight blue so ultimately it depends on the current mix. I have a midnight blue 1995 928 GTS and in certain light, it does have a purple tint especially if viewed through polarized sunglasses. I know in the formula for the paint on my car there is a magnificent shade of purple.

Hard to capture in a photo b/c most times it looks like this:

Once in a while the light is right and this is what you get:

Old 02-28-2011, 03:37 PM
crackberry005 is infamous around these parts
damn that shade of blue is sexy

Old 02-28-2011, 03:51 PM
MidnightBlue is a jewel in the roughMidnightBlue is a jewel in the roughMidnightBlue is a jewel in the rough
Had a Midnight Blue Cayman S (2007) and it tended to take on a slight purple hue in the morning and evening. In bright sunlight it looked dark blue and at night black.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:38 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
I have a Lapis Blue one and that looks purple in some angles.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:57 PM
LeNoah is infamous around these parts
Love Midnight Blue. Factory ordered my current car and couldn't wait to check the Midnight Blue and Natural Brown Leather boxes.

I've had it 3 years now and still turn around for a last look as I walk away after parking it. Livin' the dream!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:52 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Yes, mine (midnight blue metallic) takes on the purple color under sunshine and at the right angles. In shade, it just looks very dark blue. I love it.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Skylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to behold
It can have a purplish tinge at times- but very subtle- the color is absolutely stunning- I have no regrets on that choice whatsoever- and there really has not been a time when have seen another P-car and I said- "I wish I would have gotten THAT color instead".....

My favorite second choices....White, Artic Silver, Speed Yellow

Old 02-28-2011, 11:13 PM
crackberry005 is infamous around these parts
this color is similar to interlagos blue on the m3, except, it looked kinda off. way too much purple. but this, this looks like the perfect blend.

i dig chameleon colors. imho, it gives the car character and just looks stunning.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:32 AM
raspritz is infamous around these partsraspritz is infamous around these parts
Mine never appears purple. I still get never-ending comments on how "pretty" a car it is.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:13 AM
exucla is infamous around these parts
I have midnight blue and I really like the color. It is one color than changes by the angle and amount of light it reflects. It is really a classy look and does not look cheasy. It does have purple hue to it when you look at the car from an angle. At direct view and daylight, it is blue. At night, it looks closer to black.

Refer to pic below. Direct view it is dark blue.

Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2011, 08:50 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
midnight blue is the NEW black

Old 03-01-2011, 08:56 AM
LarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to all
same here it never looks purple.everyone loves this color

Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Thanks for the feedback guys. It appears there are some differences of opinions as some owners say it does have a purplish hue at times and others say there is no purple. I wonder if it varies by car/paint mix.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Midnight Blue - Is it purple in the light?