997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

anyone see their tires turn into "Bolts"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 11:21 AM
terpsred has a spectacular aura aboutterpsred has a spectacular aura about
anyone see their tires turn into "Bolts"?

My "new to me" 2006 C2 has had HORRIBLE road noise from the pirelli rossos. In a recent dealer visit they called my tires out as feathering. No alignment issues (Drifting, pulling, etc.) No shock issues with bouncing, etc. Balance seems OK. These are tires from 2006 so they are quite old. You can see in the pictures that the inside part of the tire looks "Squared off" on regular intervals. Both sides have the same effect.

So, time for new tires. I drive year round so am considering the Conti DWS to cover me in the cold days in Maryland. I don't track so I'm wondering if I can get away without max performance summer tires. if not, I'll likely go with the Hankook Ventus Evos.

Any opinions on why a tire would do that pattern? old age (5yrs) and 20k miles are on these.

Any opinions on the Conti DWS as a set for year round use?

Thx in advance.

Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2011, 01:57 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
I don’t understand why people pay so much money for ones of these cars and then think “hey I can save a few bucks here and get some all seasons!” Our cars were designed and came from the factory with dedicated summer tires. Do your car a favor and supply it with a quality set of summer and winter tires (if you plan to drive in the snow or colder than 50 F). Your car will reward you to its potential, rather than to the dreaded all season lack thereof.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:42 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Go with the new Michelin Promise: http://www.michelinman.com/promise/
A flat tire, simply call 1-888-553-4327
30,000 mile warranty:
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...t/tire-details

Old 03-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
the Conti DWS are quiet and soft. So much so even my wife noticed the difference I had them on her sports sedan and overall they handled most rain and snow w/o issue when new thru about 50% tread. Afterwards, they b/c a bit greasy in rain...

Being so soft, they barely lasted 20k w/ mostly highway usage... suspect it'd be much shorter on P-cars especially w/ the rears so prone to short tire life... As such, I think there are better options out there for 997s

Good luck in your decision

Old 03-02-2011, 04:50 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gloves
I don’t understand why people pay so much money for ones of these cars and then think “hey I can save a few bucks here and get some all seasons!” Our cars were designed and came from the factory with dedicated summer tires. Do your car a favor and supply it with a quality set of summer and winter tires (if you plan to drive in the snow or colder than 50 F). Your car will reward you to its potential, rather than to the dreaded all season lack thereof.
Ditto that..and.....20K on tires?......I wish.
"no alignment issues (Drifting , pulling, etc)"........you do not mention whether you've had an alignment. Should annually (spring is good when the winter tires & rims come off). Get print-out report. Save report & monitor wear. On next alignment make any changes (from spec) that wear indicates you should. Get print-out report.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:05 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Great advice Gloves. I also think that people should have a dedicated set of track wheels and tires.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by terpsred
My "new to me" 2006 C2 has had HORRIBLE road noise from the pirelli rossos. In a recent dealer visit they called my tires out as feathering. No alignment issues (Drifting, pulling, etc.) No shock issues with bouncing, etc. Balance seems OK. These are tires from 2006 so they are quite old. You can see in the pictures that the inside part of the tire looks "Squared off" on regular intervals. Both sides have the same effect.

So, time for new tires. I drive year round so am considering the Conti DWS to cover me in the cold days in Maryland. I don't track so I'm wondering if I can get away without max performance summer tires. if not, I'll likely go with the Hankook Ventus Evos.

Any opinions on why a tire would do that pattern? old age (5yrs) and 20k miles are on these.

Any opinions on the Conti DWS as a set for year round use?

Thx in advance.
Looks like "cupping" to me. Which is described as :

Cupping is when a vehicle's tires have indentations in them. Cupping is caused by worse than normal wear, tear and pressure on the surface of the tire that takes small pieces and sections of the tires surface off. The remaining spots are smoothed during driving so they're called "cupping" as opposed to "chipping." Cupping may be referred to by some professionals as "scalloping."

Read more: The Causes of Cupping Tires | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5509983_ca...#ixzz1FUkyqhYi

The artical notes a number of possible causes but suggests tire replacement. However, in order to insure the new tires don't end up in the same condition you need to determine what caused the problem in the first place.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 PM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Find a good alignment shop for Porsches, show them your tires, get new ones, go back to alignment shop. Stop. Pay alignment shop.

Technically, it may not be alignment per se....but the proper shop knows your suspension and can get this resolved.

Last edited by RF5BPilot; 03-02-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
You should have an alignment shop redo your alignment again. It could be your Toe settings. Changing the tires is a must at this point like others have mentioned.

Originally Posted by terpsred

Old 03-03-2011, 07:53 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Do your car a favor and supply it with a quality set of summer and winter tires (if you plan to drive in the snow or colder than 50 F). Your car will reward you to its potential, rather than to the dreaded all season lack thereof.
I would stick with tires for your winter and summer set from this list.
Porsche Approved Tires - Fall Winter 2010/2011
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/236406-porsche-approved-tires-fall-winter-2010-2011-a.html

Old 03-03-2011, 08:30 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I can't preach enough about a proper alingment......it's not the camber so much that wears out tires it is the toe that really wears tires....you need certain amounts of toe for the car to track the road properly and for stability. Just getting toe with in "Porsche Specs" is no where near enough.
Seek out a pro shop that specializes in Porsche and alignments. these cars are famous for bad alignment right from the factory.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:45 PM
terpsred has a spectacular aura aboutterpsred has a spectacular aura about
I have an alignment scheduled for next week. I'm gonna heed the advice of the crowd here and stay away from the all season path and stick with the dedicated summer setup. It's warming up anyway. I'll get a winter set of wheels and tires in October.

Any suggestions on camber and toe settings for a 2006 C2 with 19" wheels and stock suspension? No track use, just street.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:58 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
terpsred

PM or email mdrums and follow his advice. I did & the car rides better then when it was new.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:04 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Amen
I change my tyres every 5-8,000kms

If someone wants to save a few bucks, I think they should look at a Prius instead of a 100,000$+ car...

Performance Tyres are kind of a must regardless if you track or don't.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:55 AM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
ok, i am feeling stupid here. what do you mean by 'bolts'?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: anyone see their tires turn into "Bolts"?