997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Black how bad to up keep

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I used to sweat it, now on my 8th black car, I'm over it - one learns how to deal. Most important things:

- wash it yourself if possible and don't worry over it getting dirty - just don't mess with it until you can wash it properly, and all is fine.
- don't let water dry on it.
- clean off bugs and bird poop ASAP....gently.
- clear bra the front if you track or highway drive much.
- don't be too OCD over it. It's a car.

-I usually spend as much time on the wheels as I do the entire car on a normal wash day. It's small car and lots of glass.

Do you like black cars when you see them on the road? If so, most of those cars are treated about the same and maybe not so well. On close inspection, as only you will do, there may be a blemish or two, but in the big picture, literally, it is not that big of a deal.

More importantly, is it you? When you imagine your 911 in your garage, what color is it? Nothing worse than walking out to the garage and finding that it is not really your car sitting there. That's why I had to get Black....again...

If you want easy, go with Silver.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Porsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nice
I have two black vehicles, a white one and a red one, and the white one is the worst of the lot to keep clean, I wash them every week and black is no worse than the others.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:57 PM
trackaddict is on a distinguished road
I went black...and I'll never go back

Too bad though...looks so nice at night.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Karl B will become famous soon enough
I have a basalt black 997 and I think it is harder than regular black to keep clean. I have to disagree with some others, white is by far the easiest because until you get up close it always looks clean. Thats why my wifes Yukon XL is white. I have had silver cars and they seem to be the easiest to keep looking good.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:13 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
I really want red, But the deal on the black one is getting hard to pass up

Old 03-05-2011, 01:39 PM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
if you "really" want Red and you buy the Black - you'll be sorry because Black isn't what you "really" want.....

Old 03-05-2011, 01:46 PM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MI55LE
if you "really" want Red and you buy the Black - you'll be sorry because Black isn't what you "really" want.....
+1

It's worth a few thousand at the buy in to get what you want and not settle for something you really didn't want.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:54 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by henrysko
For me, black was a major PIA. Seemed that I was always thinking about the next wash instead of enjoying the car.

I'll never own another car that color but I do admire ones that are well cared for.
Exactly. Some guy rolled up to starbucks this am in a brand new black Bentley Continental Supersport that was COVERED with swirl marks when light hit the side of the car. It looked like crap and ruined the look of the car.

Last edited by sizquik; 03-05-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:12 PM
hjacobs2000 will become famous soon enough
I love my black on black, it's my 2nd black Porsche and my 6th black auto. I really don't care about the swirls although I used to. Every 6 months or so I have a full detail (8-12 hour detail... read my posts) to remove every swirl / problem. I actullay just left the Miami Grand Prix, and took out the techart front spoiler coming out of the tunnel. Ahhh, so be it, I'll either spray it myself or drive it until I want it fixed. I used to worry about every litle problem.... not so much any more. Enjoy you car.... Drive it

Old 03-05-2011, 02:47 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tonka858
I really want red, But the deal on the black one is getting hard to pass up
is it used? a red one, if you wait to find it, should be cheaper than black, which tends to be hold the highest resale value.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I'm on my seventh black Porsche. I don't worry about perfect swirl free paint anymore. The last time I waxed my car I used Turtle Wax. However, I do keep my interior spotless. I see it a whole lot more than the outside.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:36 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MI55LE
Don't settle on your color, you will live to regret it.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:38 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by surfah
Don't settle on your color, you will live to regret it.
I'm trying not to but dealer offering 20k off msrp is so tempting..
only reds i can find are GTS..I just don't see that being worth the extra price
a few years later.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:18 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by llngoc
Is Basalt Black any better than the flat black for maintainence??
Absolutely!!!!

Basalt black is great. It does not swirl as easy as flat black and will show dirt less.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:10 AM
ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !
I love it....I hate it.....I love it....I hate it......Agree with many of the above comments that you just can't get too concerned. I think it also depends on if it is your daily driver or not. The Cayman (Black) is my wifes daily so takes extra effort. If it was not the daily driver would not be that difficult. Still black is one of the best looking when clean and swirl free.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black how bad to up keep