997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Black how bad to up keep

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:19 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
Black how bad to up keep

Ran across a good deal on a 2010 997. although its black and for right now it looks great..
anyone with a black Porsche..How long until it starts to show swirls etc.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Two hours after a wash, lol, not really but it does tend to swirl a lot faster than other colors. I'm waiting until the weather get's warmer before I give my black Porsche a nice detail. Black cars requires a lot of care, I guess it's an excuse to spend more time with your car. If that's not what you are looking for, I suggest a different color. My silver benz is always clean, even months w/o a wash.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:20 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have owned four black Porsches including my current Turbo . In all honesty I feel that my white Porsche is harder to keep clean . Black will show the dirt but white shows everything . The black car can swirl easily so it does mean buying special loofas and such but when its clean it's awesome.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:05 PM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
This is my first black car...after having owned green, silver, and red....black has proven to be a real PITA regarding upkeep. If you have the time and energy to detail your ride, then go for it. After a nice detailing...it is dangerously gorgeous.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:46 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Nothing looks better than a clean, freshly detailed, swirl-free 911. But it's rarely in that state. I am in the process of a 3 day detail job, which involves wash, clay, wash again, heavy polish, light polish, glaze, seal, top with wax. And that's just the paint. Not for the faint of heart, but I am a perfectionist.
CATTMAN

Old 03-05-2011, 06:15 AM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
black is difficult to keep looking good - shows everything ! that said, my last 2 non-DDs have been black

I use Zaino products (as do most of the posters on another forum) (I'm not associated with them - just use their products) - it's a non-wax multi step "system" that puts a show finish on your car - doesn't leave any white residue anywhere

suggest you/anyone search for their website at "zainobros.com" and give it a read

I bought their $85 "kit" which lasts a LONG time - includes a couple of clay bars (gotta do clay for a good job !), application pads and other items for different steps

if you're a non-professional detailer, try it, you'll never go back to wax

Old 03-05-2011, 06:31 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Everytime I buy a car I swear never again black - 3 of my last 4 P-cars have been black - just can't kick the habit. I suggest find a good detail guy for any paint correction then use Optical No Rinse to wash.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:56 AM
0luke1 is on a distinguished road
I'm quite happy I'm not in a black car anymore. My black 996 was tough to keep looking nice. That said, I've owned three black cars in my life - cursed the color while I owned them - and can't rule out owning a blackcar in the future.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:05 AM
llngoc is on a distinguished road
Is Basalt Black any better than the flat black for maintainence??

Old 03-05-2011, 07:26 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Black cars can really look super but I would be obsessing and stressing over details that one would never see with other colors.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:47 AM
MSCHWA3439 is infamous around these parts
forget basalt black always looks dusty.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:12 AM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Black cars require the most upkeep. Black is a hobby.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:49 AM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
Black takes a very good detailing to make it look great. How hard it is to keep it that way depends on you washing habits and how often you apply wax. I used Optima Paint Guard Plus-a wipe on walk away product. I apply every two weeks after washing-it takes about 10 minutes to do.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 AM
henrysko will become famous soon enoughhenrysko will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sizquik
Black cars require the most upkeep. Black is a hobby.
For me, black was a major PIA. Seemed that I was always thinking about the next wash instead of enjoying the car.

I'll never own another car that color but I do admire ones that are well cared for.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:10 AM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
what to do.what to do argh.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black how bad to up keep