997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Convertible Top Closing Help Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:52 AM
brewster16 will become famous soon enough
Convertible Top Closing Help Please

Suddenly my convertible top wont close when I push the rocker switch. The "clamshell" opens but that's it. There has been some "chat" about a reset button somewhere???? Anyone know of this? Could it be a fuse issue? Is there a guide to help me figure which fuse to check in the fusebox? It's just a box full of non-descript fuses of various amperages.

Also, I've been able to manually close the top with the procedures listed in the owners manual until I got to the part about "take the Allen key K out of the oddments tray." WHAT is an oddments tray?????? Do they mean the flip top compartment known as the armrest???? If so, there is no Allen key in there.Is there a secret compartment where this key is found? Anyone know what I should do? I cant secure the convertible locking pin in the windshield frame without it. HELP!

Old 03-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
I don't have a convertible so I'm not sure you would find the tool there but look in the trunk there is a small compartment on the right side where the flat tire sealant is located.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:10 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
if car is in warranty, i'd take it to service

is the car leveled when raising the top? does it make any noise when you try to raise it? if so, it could be a motor failure, loss of fluid, or broken microswitch.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:18 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brewster16
Suddenly my convertible top wont close when I push the rocker switch. The "clamshell" opens but that's it. There has been some "chat" about a reset button somewhere???? Anyone know of this? Could it be a fuse issue? Is there a guide to help me figure which fuse to check in the fusebox? It's just a box full of non-descript fuses of various amperages.

Also, I've been able to manually close the top with the procedures listed in the owners manual until I got to the part about "take the Allen key K out of the oddments tray." WHAT is an oddments tray?????? Do they mean the flip top compartment known as the armrest???? If so, there is no Allen key in there.Is there a secret compartment where this key is found? Anyone know what I should do? I cant secure the convertible locking pin in the windshield frame without it. HELP!

Pm Keninirvine.....he knows his convertible stuff

Old 03-26-2011, 01:24 PM
chobit is on a distinguished road
Sorry, while I can't offer any helps. I have a cab, and sometime worry the same? Can the top be manually open or close when the motor fails? If yes, anyone have experience?

Old 03-26-2011, 01:43 PM
hjacobs2000 will become famous soon enough
Your going to have to manually close it and bring it to the dealer to relace some module (I forgot exactly what was done), but I had the same problem 3-4 years ago on on 997 S. I will try to go through me records and find out details

Old 03-26-2011, 01:54 PM
OK, I've definitely ruled out the fuse as the source of the problem. I located the right fuse and confirmed it to be fine. There is a slight "grinding" sound on the passenger side when the clam shell deploys.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
WHAT is an oddments tray??????
Sorry, I had to laugh with you on that one. It would appear language translations don't always come out the way they're supposed to. However, it is what you describe, the space under the arm rest. If your allen key is not in the glove ox or in with the owners manuals you'll need to bet a new one. Either go to the dealer for a new key or just buy a set of metric "T" handled Allen wrenchs. The wrenchs would be my choice as they are a handy addition to your tool box and the "key" has very limited uses unless of course your top motors fails or you buy a hard top.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Well, after several attempts to resolve my top issue on my own (thanks to those who PM'ed me) I had to bring the car to Porsche. They determined I had a bad latch motor on one side. The parts were ordered, then installed. Everything works perfectly now. Total cost: $1200.00. Ouch! But at least I got a free loaner for 5 days. Whoopie!

Old 04-07-2011, 02:56 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
glad it's fixed. 1200, ouch indeed. how much of that was labor?