997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

yes or no to spray on bra?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Jason997 is on a distinguished road
I had the clear bra film on my '04 STi, lasted forever car looked show room when I sold it 5 years later. I even saw a thread on these forums for a satin finish film that covered the entire car I believe it was on a GT3.. looked incredible when it was completed.

+1 for film
-1 for sprays

Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
I've used the spray on stuff before. It's really only designed for short road trips, and the main thing it protects against is bugs. Rocks and debris will go right through it.

The bad part is that it's water-soluble and basically turns into soap when wet....so if you drive into a rain storm, it's gone.

This is what I used. They say rain won't wash it off...but it does.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 AM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
I could see 'wrapping' a P-car if I had a whole bunch of money to throw around (I don't). It could be fun.. for a while, then just peel it off when the newness wears off.

But you can bet I'd never spray a clear bra on one.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tonka858
anyone ever check out the places that wrap vans with customer graphics to see what they charge..

almost think it would have to be cheaper then these high end shops.
Everything you have done to a Porsche, that can be done to any other vehicle, costs more simply because it's a Porsche. The high end shops simply take advantage of the fact Porsche drivers, as well as others who drive more costly exotics, are willing and able to pay whatever it costs to modify/customize/enhance/protect ( pick a word ) their cars.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:07 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
+1 for 3M film...I've got it on the front half of the nose, mirrors, door handles, door edges and the wheel lips....cost about $800. Hard to even see i unless you are looking for it and up close. I really don't get the spray on concept.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:14 PM
gellie can only hope to improve
When I bought my car( sight unseen) the dealer negated to tell me there was a clear bra installed. Hardly noticed it. In fact,I wanted to put on film to my headlights, only to find out they were already on. Pretty amazing material.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:53 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Okay, so far the tally is 100 to none in favor of film.

I did fail to mention that the spray on (armorcoat.com) would cost me $500.00 vs. $1,000.00 for the film. Also, the spray on is essentially a super clear coat - it cab be buffed, sanded and repaired. It supposedly retains nearly all of the factory shine unlike the film. In fact, you apparently can't even tell its on...They apply it on headlights as well.

Thing is, what is it doing to the paint below? Is the paint going to peel in 3 yrs? It's being suffocated by some space-age polymer?

I've had the film before. It's really just like wearing a condom. The spray is a vasectomy - permanent. But if the worst case scenario is having to repaint the bumper, fender or hood (or all of these)...isn't that what I'd have to do if I continue with trackday without any protection...

I'm really considering this spray on (which I'm nearly certain is not the product mentioned by the member from Champion - perhaps that was the product they sell for coating wheels which is temporary?)

I'll inquire further with body shops and dealers and also find out if any of these spray on companies have been successfully sued. I'll post the results.

Regards,
DRP