997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

A fun day with the Carrera. Thunderhill Raceway Willows, Ca.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:41 AM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
thunderhill video

Great video.

Questions for you:

1. What are your suspensions set-up numbers? Camber, Toe In
2. What tire size are you running? (wheel size and tire sizes)

Comments:

All in all a good set of laps. Just a couple of thoughts "from the bench".

You would experience less push without making any tire/suspension changes if you worked on a few on-track details.

On some of the turns you turn in a little abruptly. You would experience a little less understeer if you smoothed out your steering inputs. Try looking a little farther though the turnin to and through the apex to the trackout point.

You pinched the exits in a few places also, which adds to tire heat and scrubs off speed.

I was not in the car with you and only noticed the above in a few turns, but we can all drive more productively.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:47 PM
medpilot105 will become famous soon enough
Great feedback!

That's a main reason for sharing these videos is to hear from others so, thank you!

Stock 997.2 Carrera suspension with PASM. So, the setup there is whatever comes from the factory. Also, the wheels are stock 19" wheels. 235/35 tires up front, 295/30 in the rear.

Your observation is spot-on regarding my steering technique. I like that you gave me a solution to it. In fact, my vision is something I've been trying to work on because I realize that not looking ahead enough has been a trait of my driving. In theory, I understand how opening up my vision, looking further ahead, etc will improve
my technique and confidence but, doing it has been tough. A great excuse to go practice! I may driving faster than my vision right now which I can see (no pun intended) may be hindering my overall speed.

Thanks again for the honest feedback.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:51 PM
JohnD.211 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by medpilot105
I use Cyberlink Power Director. It allows for up to four different Pic in Pic's on top of a main view.

After I use Trackvision to merge the Traqmate data to the video file from the main view (HD GoPro mounted under rear view mirror) I then use Power Director to combine that file with the roof mounted SD GoPro video file to make the Pic in Pic that you see in the final video.

So, these aren't really feeds that go into a central computer/brain during the recording/driving, per se. They're just two separate cameras recording at the same time. Any synchronizing, be it data to main video, or PiP video to main video... is done by me trying match up the pieces as best I can visually and by listening to gear changes.
Nice job editing. The editing usually takes me longer than the event that I recorded.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:07 AM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
thunderhill video

That's a main reason for sharing these videos is to hear from others so, thank you!

Stock 997.2 Carrera suspension with PASM. So, the setup there is whatever comes from the factory. Also, the wheels are stock 19" wheels. 235/35 tires up front, 295/30 in the rear.

Your observation is spot-on regarding my steering technique. I like that you gave me a solution to it. In fact, my vision is something I've been trying to work on because I realize that not looking ahead enough has been a trait of my driving. In theory, I understand how opening up my vision, looking further ahead, etc will improve
my technique and confidence but, doing it has been tough. A great excuse to go practice! I may driving faster than my vision right now which I can see (no pun intended) may be hindering my overall speed.

Thanks again for the honest feedback.
Are you going to the the PCA DE at Thunderhill at the end of the month?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by jurnes
Are you going to the the PCA DE at Thunderhill at the end of the month?
Wasn't aware of it, actually. I'll be at Infineon on the 21st and then nothing planned after that.

Whenever I check the events list for my region it is usually just crab feeds, board meetings and luncheons. Mostly social gatherings. Didn't know of T-hill. Looks like the GGR of PCA is conducting this? I'm already booked those dates unfortunately. I take it, you're a part of the Gold Gate Region?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Thumbs up

Wasn't aware of it, actually. I'll be at Infineon on the 21st and then nothing planned after that.

Whenever I check the events list for my region it is usually just crab feeds, board meetings and luncheons. Mostly social gatherings. Didn't know of T-hill. Looks like the GGR of PCA is conducting this? I'm already booked those dates unfortunately. I take it, you're a part of the Gold Gate Region?
Diablo/GGR/Loma Prieta also!

Check out the Monterey/Loma Prieta Region driver school: Coastal Driving School.ORG. All track events are at Laguna Seca. We have the track for a three day DE the second weekend in September, as well as a track day either the day before or the day right after the RENsport Reunion in October. Top notch driver education at the best track in the west IMO.

I am tentitively scheduled to instruct at the GGR Thunderhill event. PRC race weekend also going on, so I will be working with a couple of the club racing guys also. A great Porsche weekend!

Hooked On Driving is going to have several dates @ Thunderhill also. Another top notch group to run with.

Hope to see you out there.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Ok! I'll take a look at the different PCA calendars and see what works. I've run with HOD on a few occasions and enjoyed them. In fact, I'll be with them at Infineon in September. If I can make the Thunderhill dates you listed, I'l be sure to PM you.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:45 AM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
Love the video..
liked seeing the g's and speed of the car.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Scoper
Thanks for the post! It's nice to know that the V12's can hang on with the demands of the course you drove - I now have confidence that I can DD my V12's and push them just a little bit with no worries! Thx for the post!
You're welcome! Yeah, the V12's have been just fine.

Originally Posted by EnriqueCK
Very nice!!
Thank you, sir!

Originally Posted by JohnD.211
Nice job editing. The editing usually takes me longer than the event that I recorded.
Actually, me too. I'm just a glutton for punishment because I like the finished product.

Originally Posted by tonka858
Love the video..
liked seeing the g's and speed of the car.
Me too! For me, without that stuff, I feel like the speed is hard to discern.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Fantastic video!!!