997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

A fun day with the Carrera. Thunderhill Raceway Willows, Ca.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:31 AM
medpilot105 will become famous soon enough
A fun day with the Carrera. Thunderhill Raceway Willows, Ca.

Hi guys,

I thought I'd post a couple of vids from the past weekend. This was with Nor Cal Racing Club in the Point-By Group. Thanks to them and Thunderhill for a fun and safe weekend.

The car is stock and has the recently bandied about Hankook Ventus on it. These tires build pressure at a rate like I've never experienced. I had to start them at ~26 psi in the front to ~24 psi in the rear. Once the tires reached ~36 psi to 37 psi, they became greasy and not at all secure feeling. In fact, since I drive with PSM on (I don't want to rely solely on my skill to protect my daily driver! ) it would start intervening as the rear end got looser and looser. Eventually, I could get a 20 minute session in with the tires stabilizing around 33 psi fronts and 34 psi rear. Working with tire pressures for me = confounding.

The first video has my two fastest laps of the day which is an improvement but as always there's more to learn! Any advice, comments or jokes are welcome.

http://vimeo.com/21883177

The last video here is me chasing a friend of mine while he gives a ride-along to a buddy of ours. He's in the silver 996 GT3. This group of cars, for the most part, were really cooperative and we all played well together. Even though this just a DE and not even close to racing, it does somehow feel good to move through a pack of cars. Must be instinct?

http://vimeo.com/21949965

Last edited by medpilot105; 04-05-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: trying to embed videos
Old 04-05-2011, 11:40 AM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
Great videos man!

Can't wait to get my car out too!

Btw which camera setup are you using?

Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 AM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Great videos Harry. Thunderhill is a lot of fun. I haven't been in ages and need to get my 997 out there someday.

-Steve

Old 04-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks kouzman!

The inside view is the older standard definition GoPro mounted on the plastic trim near the sunroor area. And, the outside view is the newer HD GoPro mounted just below the rear view mirror. I used the 720p resolution on the HD GoPro to keep the file size manageable. 1080i looks great but the file size gets a bit big once I start adding both camera views and the data.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:43 PM
henrysko will become famous soon enoughhenrysko will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Wow! Outstanding videos and loved the 2 views.

Well done!

Old 04-05-2011, 02:11 PM
terpsred has a spectacular aura aboutterpsred has a spectacular aura about
how do you like the hankook tires? I just put a set on my car. I don't get to the track so I'm very pleased with them on surface roads. I've heard mixed reviews about their track performance. The price sure is right though.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
Great videos Harry. Thunderhill is a lot of fun. I haven't been in ages and need to get my 997 out there someday.

-Steve
Thanks for checking out my video, Steve. You should definitely bring your 997 out there. It'll thank you for it!

Originally Posted by henrysko
Wow! Outstanding videos and loved the 2 views.

Well done!
Thanks for the kind words. I, too, like being able to see what I'm doing in relation to where the car is on track. Am I smooth with the wheel/gear changes, etc? Do I turn in too soon or not enough? Those sorts of things. Fun stuff!

Old 04-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by terpsred
how do you like the hankook tires? I just put a set on my car. I don't get to the track so I'm very pleased with them on surface roads. I've heard mixed reviews about their track performance. The price sure is right though.
This has been discussed quite a bit here lately and it seems like most folks like the Hankooks for the price. Here are a couple of threads:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-v12-evo.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...2-porsche.html

Here's my $.02.

I daily drive my car and track it about 7 to 8 times a year. I have a smidge over 30k miles on it now and it came with Michelin PS2's.

So, the Hankook tires have been great on the street. They work well for daily driving because they are relatively quite and soft. And, as you and others have mentioned, it's hard to beat the price point. I just replaced both rears for the cost of one PS2! And, FWIW, I put ~16k miles and I think 5 track days on the PS2's. For folks that like to drive their car hard on their local roads I think the Hankooks do well. One feature of the tires I like is that they tend to 'sing' early when approaching the limit of grip versus my experience with the PS2's which would not tell me as soon of impending grip loss. Early warning is nice!

On the track or when really pushing the car, I have to say I miss the responsiveness of the Michelin's. The turn in was crisper and they communicated better through the steering wheel to my hands. The biggest difference that I miss though was the overall confidence the Michilen's gave me. They felt more planted and secure. The downside for me was the replacement price considering other options like the more affordable Hankooks (which the rears lasted ~13k miles and I'm still OK on the fronts).

Maybe next go around I'll try out other brands or even go back to a Michelin tire but all things considered... I am pleasantly surprised and very happy with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:04 PM
terpsred has a spectacular aura aboutterpsred has a spectacular aura about
great comparison. I went from the OEM Pirellis to the hankooks. I can tell the difference in responsiveness. My biggest complaint on the old P tires was the noise. It got soo bad I could not hear myself think. For me, i needed some tires quickly and went with the cost conscious mode. I'll experiment over the years and try the Bridgestone and others as I rotate around. Tires change all the time so year to year it will be nice to try new ones.

I can't say I'm disappointed in the hankook's. But the turn in, is noticeably different. They do seem very solid for a daily driver car.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:14 PM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
I was disappointed in the video - would liked to have seen it run at normal speed (am I doing something wrong ?)

Old 04-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Eh?

Normal speed? I checked the link and all seems normal to me.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Is there some software that combines the two video feeds from the GoPros?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Jack667
Is there some software that combines the two video feeds from the GoPros?
I use Cyberlink Power Director. It allows for up to four different Pic in Pic's on top of a main view.

After I use Trackvision to merge the Traqmate data to the video file from the main view (HD GoPro mounted under rear view mirror) I then use Power Director to combine that file with the roof mounted SD GoPro video file to make the Pic in Pic that you see in the final video.

So, these aren't really feeds that go into a central computer/brain during the recording/driving, per se. They're just two separate cameras recording at the same time. Any synchronizing, be it data to main video, or PiP video to main video... is done by me trying match up the pieces as best I can visually and by listening to gear changes. I wish there was an automatic synch for something like my setup. I do think there are a few choices on the market that offer that. However, this setup works for me because I can take it all out and put it in quickly since I usually need to drive to work the next day. Someday I'll probably do a more permanent setup in a different car.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the post! It's nice to know that the V12's can hang on with the demands of the course you drove - I now have confidence that I can DD my V12's and push them just a little bit with no worries! Thx for the post!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:51 PM
EnriqueCK is on a distinguished road
Very nice!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A fun day with the Carrera. Thunderhill Raceway Willows, Ca.