997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Stone Guards - Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:26 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Stone Guards - Install

I am looking to install the black stone gurds on my car. I have been able to search and get some tips on how to remove the existing ones off. Seems like people spray them with hot water and then peel them off. Can the same be accomplished by heating the existing stone guard with a hair dryer? Also, I wasn't able to find much tips on installation of the new stone guards. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:48 PM
jalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant futurejalnsx9434 has a brilliant future
They just pull off no trouble clean with adhesive remover before installing new ones. Get some positioning spray from griots garage spray the car and stone guard down good position the guard and squeegee off. Its not hard with spray because you can move it around! Hope this helps

Old 05-22-2011, 08:43 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
Had mine installed by clear bra guys at dealer...took 5 minutes to take off old clear guards and install new guards I got at Suncoast.

Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2011, 11:09 AM
NugeC4S is just really niceNugeC4S is just really niceNugeC4S is just really niceNugeC4S is just really nice
I did this myself and if you're reasonably handy it's not hard. That said - if you have a local professional for cheap obviously can't hurt. For removing the old guards, it's super easy and tough to really screw up. I filled a bucket w/hot water from the sink and poured it directly onto the corner of the guard and began picking at it. Don't use any tool that could damage the clear coat of the car. You'll find as you get the corner up, you can start to get more aggressive with it while continuing to pour the water on it. Obviously you're not using the old ones so don't worry if they get stretched/ruined taking them off.

Once removed, you'll notice a thin line of crud around the outside of where the old one was. Clear the area thoroughly, although leave SOME residual residue (very little) on the corners so you can place the new one. (At least that's what I did). What I did next is take the lubricant I use to clay-bar my car - but I've read any soapy water mixture would work, and wet the area thoroughly before you start the new install. I have my clay bar lube in a spray bottle which worked perfectly as you can continually spray as you install. Now peel the corner off of the new guard, and peel it off as you go, using a squeegee to smooth out the bubbles. TAKE YOUR TIME, keep it yet and use that squeegee. You're gunna love the result!

If you search my posts you'll find pictures of mine if interested...good luck!

Old 05-23-2011, 12:17 PM
NugeC4S is just really niceNugeC4S is just really niceNugeC4S is just really niceNugeC4S is just really nice
Originally Posted by jcbh
had mine installed by clear bra guys at dealer...took 5 minutes to take off old clear guards and install new guards i got at suncoast.
**drool**