997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
OT: about dating drug reps

As a newly minted Ph.D. many years ago, I decided that I should use the title "Dr." wherever I went. One of my neighbors in the apartment complex was an exceedingly attractive drug rep. She heard that I was a "Dr." One night she came over with a bottle of wine and I had one of the greatest evenings of my life. (blush) When she found out I was not a MD, well.. it was the last date and she was pissed!

Docs..watch out for those drug reps..the two I dated were FREAKS!!

Old 07-24-2011, 09:22 AM
stevely is a name known to allstevely is a name known to allstevely is a name known to allstevely is a name known to allstevely is a name known to allstevely is a name known to all
"Similar questions get asked around my profession. As doctors approach their mid to late 30s, questions and gossips get thrown around. Has he bought that Porsche yet? Got a divorce? Date the new drug rep? As doctors approach their mid 40s to early 50s... Has he finally bought that Ferrari? Married the trophy wife? Paid off the child support? "

That's . I'm a 34 yo doctor and just got my first Porsche (997.1tt). I'm already looking to see when I can swing my first Ferrari (looking at F430s). Married and don't plan to get divorced although many of my partners in their 50's and 60's are divorced and dating 25-30yo nurses, drug reps, etc.

I do get crap at the hospital about my Porsche. Seems like everyone and their mom loves gossiping about it. Porsches are low key and a dime a dozen though so it's not that big of a deal. However, I would never dare to drive a Ferrari to work for fear of the backlash.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:24 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by stevely
"I do get crap at the hospital about my Porsche. Seems like everyone and their mom loves gossiping about it. Porsches are low key and a dime a dozen though so it's not that big of a deal. However, I would never dare to drive a Ferrari to work for fear of the backlash.

"Porsches are low key and a dime a dozen though so it's not that big of a deal."

Depending on the circles you hang out with and where you live. I can see that may be the thinking. Heck, if you live in beverly hills Ferrari's are a dime a dozen. Only Bugatti Veyrons get a second glance. A Veyron recently had it's window smashed in by a hater while it was parked on Rodeo dr. that makes me mad Regardless of the car, there are haters everywhere if they perceive that you are more successful then they are.

I have a good friend who is strictly Ferrari. He owns a 355 and Modena. He recently tried to convince me to buy his friends F430, but after dinner and wine with our wives he finally admitted that he wants to sell his Ferrari's and his next car will most likely be a Porsche. He was tired of all the problems he and his friend were experiencing with their Ferrari's. From expensive maintenance, to low quality interior pieces falling apart, to being afraid to drive it anywhere for fear of vandalism. Just not very practical and he admitted that he always admired how high performing and bullet proof Porsche's are and you can still enjoy them daily.

Don't get me wrong. I admire Ferrari's very much and Porsche's have a long list of their own problems too.

The same wisdom should apply that has has been discussed all through out this forum whether Ferrari or Porsche.
Whether price or perceived image. Heck, even if I can afford to buy a F430 now, I still can never see myself saying
Porsche's are a dime a dozen and no big deal. At least I hope I never get to that mind set and will always appreciate
a great car like Porsche no matter my income level. I am not saying you don't appreciate them either, but they are
and will always be a special car and there are lots of people who aspire to always do better in order to some day
afford one.

Last edited by qikqbn; 07-24-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:13 PM
stevely is a name known to allstevely is a name known to allstevely is a name known to allstevely is a name known to allstevely is a name known to allstevely is a name known to all
I agree with you 100% qikqbn. I didn't mean it in any disprespect to Porsche. As you mentioned, our view in LA is very skewed with all the fancy cars. I love my 911. It feels like a tank and the performance literally takes my breath away. I just aspire to own a Ferrari one day to see what all the fuss is about.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:01 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
sounds like a nice goal to aspire to, in the mean time you will have to "slum" it in the 911

Old 07-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
I do get crap at the hospital about my Porsche. Seems like everyone and their mom loves gossiping about it. Porsches are low key and a dime a dozen though so it's not that big of a deal. However, I would never dare to drive a Ferrari to work for fear of the backlash.
I still feel somewhat uncomfortable driving my Porsche to work, hoping that people won't see me in the car. The only other car in the garage that expensive is a Panamera Turbo, and I've seen people taking pictures of it. This is in a decent suburb of Baltimore, so it really does depend on where you are.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:43 AM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 986WANG
Similar questions get asked around my profession. As doctors approach their mid to late 30s, questions and gossips get thrown around. Has he bought that Porsche yet? Got a divorce? Date the new drug rep? As doctors approach their mid 40s to early 50s... Has he finally bought that Ferrari? Married the trophy wife? Paid off the child support?
Cars are objects most identifiable by the public. Very few people will know where one lives, what kind of schools one sends their kids to, what kind of watch one wears. Cars in the parking lot become the object of hot gossip. My lowly Lotus Elise has been mistakened by many nurses and doctors as a Lamborghini and become the topic of many gossips down the line. People tend not to talk about houses, vacations, watches, or other luxury items.....
Originally Posted by Alan
As a newly minted Ph.D. many years ago, I decided that I should use the title "Dr." wherever I went. One of my neighbors in the apartment complex was an exceedingly attractive drug rep. She heard that I was a "Dr." One night she came over with a bottle of wine and I had one of the greatest evenings of my life. (blush) When she found out I was not a MD, well.. it was the last date and she was pissed!
"That's . I'm a 34 yo doctor and just got my first Porsche (997.1tt). I'm already looking to see when I can swing my first Ferrari (looking at F430s). Married and don't plan to get divorced although many of my partners in their 50's and 60's are divorced and dating 25-30yo nurses, drug reps, etc.
If anyone thinks these guys are joking, they're not.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:31 AM
986WANG is on a distinguished road
stevely: Envy your position very much. Married with two kids and a growing practice makes it hard for me to sink a lot of cash into cars at the moment. One of these days though. I will definitely take a plunge and buy that dream car

Gasongasoff: Drug reps don't make it to the OR or Anesthesiology department too often these days. I look forward to my Fridays clinic. I get all sort of young college grad drug reps stocking my medicine cabinet. They all show up with some ridiculously low cut shirt and short skirt. My PAs get a kick out of flirting and watching them restock the samples at the highest shelf. Nowadays PAs have all the fun. They are young and with enough money to throw around without responsibility and long hours of running a practice Perhaps I am paying my PA too much

Old 07-26-2011, 05:08 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
This thread is turning out to be as good as ****.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:02 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
This thread is turning out to be as good as ****.
Actually....

Old 07-26-2011, 08:42 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
i want to add one thing. exact answer to 'how rich should you be to afford a car' - it does not even matter which car, but exact answer is - you need to have at least twice as much cash stashed away as you going to pay for that car you get so in case if it blows you can buy another one and your wife will not even notice.

that`s after i listened how my timing chain started to rattle at start after this last lime rock sessions where my engine got to 244 degrees temperature according to smartycam video. it never rattled at start before. hopefully it is just a tensioner issue and not anything more serious. i looked it up - i got car with 38K miles, now it has 53K miles and hardly a third of that new milage came from highway, rest is all AX and track events. I really wonder how much more life i got in this motor... and no way i can get new one without my best half knowing about $20K evaporating from accounts which will be a big big big deal. all i can hope for is hopefully if i keep whining here my engine will get better by itself and will not decide to blow.
still clutch job is due this fall - $2K. probably would be nice to put guards LSD on - $4K. one way or another it goes to same $10K average annual mark on support/repairs/mods i have been all last 3 years, plus minus $5K. usually, in 'plus', to be honest.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Luciddaydream has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Hello All. This is the OP of this thread. God this thread keeps on going.

I just waned to followup:

I am happy I bought the car. I guess it may make me appear richer than I am... something I was afraid of amongst people that know me.

But I dont care so much any more.

I also said I was "Sad" in one post. I didn't mean to suggest I had buyers remorse. I was just sad about putting miles on the car. But I need to get over that. I've already put about 3k miles on it.

I like it very much, but I can see where Id like to someday get an S or 4S. I could use a tad more power. BUt its perfect and its beautiful. Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by gravedgr
Actually....

I'd love to see those pics, but meanwhile my imagination is filling in. I've seen one of these drug reps, and she was a 10.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Luciddaydream has a little shameless behaviour in the past
IAA-C63, are you talking to me? Pics of my car? Or someone else on her about pics of some chick?

Old 07-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Luciddaydream
I like it very much, but I can see where Id like to someday get an S or 4S. I could use a tad more power.
I just got an S cab, and even that feels underpowered compared to my lowly Mercedes C63, which has a 6.2-liter V8 peaking at 451 hp and 443 ft-lb. Generally, I think Porsche is pretty miserly when it comes to engine size and power, but of course the other virtues of the car largely compensate for that. And yes, I know that the turbo, etc. have lots of power, but that comes at quite a high price.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?