997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

This used to be a GT3 - Ryan Dunn RIP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:11 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
This used to be a GT3 - Ryan Dunn RIP

police report here: http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...dunnpolice.jpg

Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2011, 12:19 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Saw this online.

The track is place for speed like this.

Such a waste.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:50 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
The track is place for speed like this.
Absolutely. The NY Post (see article below) is also reporting that the accident happened at 3AM and he had just posted online pictures of himself drinking.

I hope this isn't taken as insensitive, but in my mind this also supports the case for having a fire extinguisher handy. We'll never know how big or small the fire started and where in the car.

Ryan Dunn of Paramount’s ‘Jackass’ Movies Dies After Car Crash

By Andy Fixmer - Jun 20, 2011
June 20 (Bloomberg) -- Ryan Dunn, a star of Paramount Pictures’ “Jackass” movies and the MTV television show, died in a car crash about 24 miles west of Philadelphia.
Dunn, 34, and an unidentified passenger died from injuries sustained after his 2007 Porsche 911 GT3 left a roadway and burst into flames, police in West Goshen Township, Pennsylvania, said today in a statement. Speed may have been a factor, police said.
The car was “fully engulfed in flames” when police arrived at the scene at 2:38 a.m. local time, according to the statement. Police said they are still trying to identify Dunn’s passenger.
Dunn was a member of Johnny Knoxville’s band of amateur stuntmen, appearing in the MTV show “Jackass” from 2000 to 2002, according to Amazon.com Inc.’s Imdb.com. He also starred in Paramount’s “Jackass” film series that collected $248 million in worldwide ticket sales, according to Imbd.com. Viacom Inc. owns both MTV and Paramount.
Christian Muirhead, a spokesman for Beverly Hills, California-based William Morris Endeavor Entertainment LLC, which represents Dunn, couldn’t immediately comment.
To contact the reporter on this story: Andy Fixmer in Los Angeles at afixmer@bloomberg.net
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Palazzo at apalazzo@bloomberg.net

Old 06-20-2011, 01:17 PM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
what a jackass

Old 06-20-2011, 01:36 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
I just saw this........RIP........

Old 06-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
"I hope this isn't taken as insensitive, but in my mind this also supports the case for having a fire extinguisher handy. We'll never know how big or small the fire started and where in the car."

The loss of life is saddening.........RIP.

Re: In-car fire extinguishers; I was talking with a veteran Skip Barber instructor a few weeks ago and the topic somehow came up. He related how the use of in-car extinguishers can be traced back to the "old days" of European road racing when courses were lengthy and run mainly through the rural forests on otherwise public roads, i.e. no corner stations or readily available emergency crews. Part of the drivers code back then included stopping and rendering aid should a driver in front of you crash and that's why you carried a fire extinguisher; it was to put the other guy's fire out or to provide backup while others extricated the unlucky fellow.

He went on to say that he shudders when he thinks about modern cars being equipped with them given that almost all modern, sanctioned races and driving events are staffed with professional safety crews. No one stops to render aid on the track (which, in fact, would be highly frowned upon) and seldom is anyone seen rushing with fire extinguisher in hand to the scene of a roadside accident. More to the point, he said, if it's your car that's on fire, the one and only thing that should be on your mind is exiting the vehicle as quickly as possible. Don't even reach for an extinguisher much less sit there and try to put a fire out; save yourself first, foremost and always. The car can be replaced. If someone needs for-real fire protection get a racing fire suppression system along with a full set of proper protective clothing. That two pound red bottle tucked under your seat is little more than a quaint artifact from a bye gone era. Best,

Old 06-20-2011, 02:46 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Steamboat
More to the point, he said, if it's your car that's on fire, the one and only thing that should be on your mind is exiting the vehicle as quickly as possible. Don't even reach for an extinguisher much less sit there and try to put a fire out; save yourself first, foremost and always. The car can be replaced. If someone needs for-real fire protection get a racing fire suppression system along with a full set of proper protective clothing. That two pound red bottle tucked under your seat is little more than a quaint artifact from a bye gone era. Best,

Old 06-20-2011, 03:06 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
"I hope this isn't taken as insensitive, but in my mind this also supports the case for having a fire extinguisher handy. We'll never know how big or small the fire started and where in the car."

The loss of life is saddening.........RIP.

Re: In-car fire extinguishers; I was talking with a veteran Skip Barber instructor a few weeks ago and the topic somehow came up. He related how the use of in-car extinguishers can be traced back to the "old days" of European road racing when courses were lengthy and run mainly through the rural forests on otherwise public roads, i.e. no corner stations or readily available emergency crews. Part of the drivers code back then included stopping and rendering aid should a driver in front of you crash and that's why you carried a fire extinguisher; it was to put the other guy's fire out or to provide backup while others extricated the unlucky fellow.

He went on to say that he shudders when he thinks about modern cars being equipped with them given that almost all modern, sanctioned races and driving events are staffed with professional safety crews. No one stops to render aid on the track (which, in fact, would be highly frowned upon) and seldom is anyone seen rushing with fire extinguisher in hand to the scene of a roadside accident. More to the point, he said, if it's your car that's on fire, the one and only thing that should be on your mind is exiting the vehicle as quickly as possible. Don't even reach for an extinguisher much less sit there and try to put a fire out; save yourself first, foremost and always. The car can be replaced. If someone needs for-real fire protection get a racing fire suppression system along with a full set of proper protective clothing. That two pound red bottle tucked under your seat is little more than a quaint artifact from a bye gone era. Best,
interesting post and good info -- thank you. i have to say i stand corrected on the safety argument, with a couple very minor caveats. i think the use for an extinguisher would be if you're stuck in the car but not so stuck that you can't reach the extinguisher (i feel ridiculous even suggesting that scenario ). then there is the early 458 italia type problem of spontaneous combustion caused by malfunction. but truth be told, i'd happily take the insurance check there too.

so ok, i'll come clean... i like the way it looks. there, i said it. and it only weighs 5lbs. i just ordered one because metro pca requires it and i want to run with them later this year. but once i did the research and saw it's only $200, i decided i would buy one even if it wasn't required -- for the looks alone.

some folks might say that is poseur-like but i don't see it as any different than carbon fiber mirrors, chrome e-brake, or any of the other dozen non-functional mods we do for no other reason than to make our cars look like they should -- real sports cars that are studs on the track.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:07 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Old 06-20-2011, 03:28 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Kona, I am a Metro PCA member too and I am also looking at doing the install as I hope to attend a few evenst later in the year. As you stated, Metro requires a fire extinguisher.

As I have a beard, I was also told that NJ motorsports regulations require a balaclava. Had to get one of those too.

As for the recently deceased, RIP to both.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
"....but once i did the research and saw it's only $200, i decided i would buy one even if it wasn't required -- for the looks alone."

I had one in a prior C4S and it did look cool and started some good conversations! Sometimes we camp at a track overnight and build a bonfire. I suppose they could come in handy should the breezes unexpectedly freshen.....

Have fun and enjoy your car!

Old 06-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by lacrosse
I am also looking at doing the install as I hope to attend a few evenst later in the year. As you stated, Metro requires a fire extinguisher.

As I have a beard, I was also told that NJ motorsports regulations require a balaclava. Had to get one of those too.
i ordered the kit today from speed tactics online. seemed like the easiest install and can mount on the passenger side, which i wanted, without messing with the airbag sensors, since it bolts to the front of the seat tracks. i'll let u know how it goes...

the balaclava i can't help u with but if i'll bring u some clippers to the track just in case u can't locate one in time!

Old 06-20-2011, 04:47 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
RIP Ryan

Old 06-20-2011, 05:08 PM
w00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to behold
R.I.P. Mr. Dunn

i bought one fire extinguisher for my car after seeing this video. A few bucks can save alot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkWaxSztbBg

Old 06-20-2011, 05:12 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
probably his biggest prank ever! tomorrow he will be back from the dead.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: This used to be a GT3 - Ryan Dunn RIP