997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Aftermarket Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vancouver-BC
I also just got an Easy Care quote. The price was reasonable (~ $2K including inspection), but I have < 12K on the car and requested a quote for an additional 36K over 4 years of total coverage. Once you hit the 25K mark the price jumps quite a bit.
Are you saying it's ~2K for 36K or 4 year coverage? If so that is not bad at all, I have a feeling I am not reading this right. Never been a fan of after-market warranties but if the price is right might just get one for the 'peace of mind.'

Old 07-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Vancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the rough
It's ~ $2K for 36K over 4 years. I don't drive much so I'm not looking for a lot of mileage coverage, more interested in the peace of mind. My car is still under factory warranty and < 25K miles, so it is still relatively cheap.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:18 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Is RMS and IMS excluded from the Costco warranty? Can the work be done anywhere the owner chooses?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Vancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the rough
Not sure if RMS and IMS are covered through Costco, but they should be covered through the other two mentioned companies. To clarify I have no affiliation with either company, I've just been researching what is available because I will be purchasing an extended warranty next month.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I was in Costco a week ago looking at a cool IP camera called a Mole. I asked one of the guys working There what the return policy is and he laughed and said "it's Costco you can return anything at any time for any reason". Then he said "for electronics, it is probably safe to say 90 days". The cashier confirmed the same 90 days.

My belabored and seemingly off the point reason for saying this IS (despite sounding counter intuitively not a good type of warranty), I actually would feel comfortable having Costco behind it. I know it will be a vendor, but Costco seems to have pretty high customer satisfaction goals and I suspect they exert considerable power over their vendors, who wish to take advantage of their geographic reach and reputation for a good solid value.

Having said that it would be very interesting to know specifically if bumper to bumper covers everything including the RMS and the IMS. What was the mileage and year of your car for that Costco premium? Is it bumper to bumper?

Last edited by DoninDEN; 07-18-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:05 PM
alexstjo is on a distinguished road
I got a quote from Costco (but they don't sell in California yet) it was $3K for a 2010 targa 4s with 4500 miles, coverage was 7 years 70K miles. No idea if that is a good price as I don't know what a RMS would cost.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:24 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is on a distinguished road
Exclusions to Costco Warranty

This is from the Policy that Costco Warranty sent me. The file was to large to upload.......

EXCLUSIONS FROM COVERAGE: THIS SERVICE CONTRACT WILL NOT PAY OR REIMBURSE YOU
FOR:
1. ANY LOSS, DAMAGE OR EXPENSE CAUSED BY ACCIDENTS, ANY ALTERATION TO THE VEHICLE
OR THE PART, USE OF UNDERSIZED OR OVERSIZED TIRES OR WHEELS, ALTERATION TO
THE VEHICLE NOT AUTHORIZED BY ITS MANUFACTURER, THE FAILURE OF ANY PART NOT
COVERED BY THIS SERVICE CONTRACT, ACCIDENTAL LOSS;
2. ANY MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN CAUSED BY ACCIDENTS, COLLISION, UPSET DAMAGE,
FALLING OBJECTS, THEFT, LARCENY, EXPLOSION, LIGHTNING, EARTHQUAKES, FIRE,
WINDSTORMS, HAIL, WATER, FLOODS, SUBFREEZING TEMPERATURE, MALICIOUS MISCHIEF,
VANDALISM, CIVIL COMMOTION, RIOTS, OR WARS;
3. THE REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF A COVERED PART BY ANY MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY
OR FOR ANY OTHER COVERAGE OR OTHER REASON THE MANUFACTURER, IMPORTER,
DISTRIBUTOR, SELLER OR REPAIRER OF THE VEHICLE WILL REPAIR OR REPLACE THE
PART AT ITS EXPENSE OR AT A REDUCED COST. SOLE COVERAGE FOR SUCH REPAIRS
SAMPLE
SAMPLEYOU Service Contract will immediately transfer to the Lienholder. This Service Contract is non-cancelable by
except for material misrepresentation, fraud at the time of sale or non-payment of Service Contract
Purchase Price. In some states, certain cancellation provisions may vary. Please refer to the State
Amendments section for exceptions.
SAMPLEAmendments
OR REPLACEMENTS SHALL REST WITH THE MANUFACTURER WARRANTY OR OTHER
COVERAGE, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE MANUFACTURER OR OTHER COVERAGE
PROVIDER HONORS THEIR CLAIM;
4. ANY INVOICE PRESENTED TO CWS FOR PAYMENT FOR SERVICES NOT PERFORMED AS
DESCRIBED AT THE TIME OF AUTHORIZATION;
5. ANY CLAIM IF YOUR VEHICLE’S ODOMETER, SINCE THE PURCHASE DATE OF THE SERVICE
CONTRACT, HAS BEEN ALTERED, DISCONNECTED, IS INOPERABLE, OR ACTUAL MILEAGE
CANNOT BE DOCUMENTED, OR REASONABLY BE ESTIMATED;
6. ANY CLAIM IF YOUR VEHICLE IS USED FOR COMPETITIVE DRIVING OR RACING, POLICE
OR EMERGENCY SERVICE, PRINCIPALLY OFF-ROAD USE, SNOW REMOVAL, CARRIAGE OF
PASSENGERS FOR HIRE, COMMERCIAL DELIVERY/ SERVICE/REPAIR, RENTAL PURPOSES,
ROAD REPAIR, CONSTRUCTION OR HAULING ACTIVITIES, TOWING A TRAILER OR ANOTHER
VEHICLE UNLESS YOUR VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED FOR THIS AS RECOMMENDED BY THE
MANUFACTURER;
7. OF THE FAILED COVERED PART;
8. ANY MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN CAUSED BY CONTAMINATION, OVERHEATING, LACK OF
COOLANT OR LUBRICANTS, LACK OF OIL VISCOSITY, SLUDGE, RESTRICTED OIL FLOW, SALT,
ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE, CHEMICALS, OR RUST AND RUST DAMAGE;
9. THE NEED TO REPAIR OR REPLACE A COVERED PART ARISING OR RESULTING FROM THE
USE OF YOUR VEHICLE OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES, ITS TERRITORIES, POSSESSIONS
OR CANADA;
10. HAZARDOUS WASTE DISPOSAL CHARGES, ENVIRONMENTAL FEES, STORAGE OR FREIGHT
CHARGES; ADJUSTMENTS; SHOP SUPPLIES, CORE CHARGES, AND CORRECTION OF
RATTLES/SQUEAKS/WIND NOISE/ODORS/WATER LEAKS;
11. ANY CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO FIRE DAMAGE;
SECONDARY DAMAGES OR UNREASONABLE COSTS THAT YOU MAY SUFFER AS A RESULT
OF THE NEED TO REPAIR OR REPLACE A COVERED PART;
12. LIABILITY FOR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, INJURY TO OR DEATH OF ANY PERSON ARISING OUT
OF THE OPERATION, MAINTENANCE OR USE OF YOUR VEHICLE WHETHER OR NOT RELATED
TO THE COVERED PARTS;
13. UNDER PREMIUM CARE COVERAGE, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BRAKE LININGS,
BRAKE DRUMS AND ROTORS, DISC BRAKE PADS (EXCEPT WHERE NOTED UNDER RELATED
DAMAGE COVERAGE), STANDARD TRANSMISSION CLUTCH COMPONENTS, AIR BAGS,
SOLAR POWERED DEVICES, HINGES, GLASS, LENSES, SEALED BEAMS, BODY PARTS
AND/OR PANELS, TRIM, MOLDINGS, DOOR HANDLES, LOCK CYLINDERS, TIRES, WHEELS,
BATTERIES, LIGHT BULBS, UPHOLSTERY, PAINT, BRIGHT METAL, FREEZE PLUGS, HEATER
AND RADIATOR HOSES, EXHAUST SYSTEM, SHOCK ABSORBERS, AUDIO/SECURITY OR
OTHER SYSTEMS NOT FACTORY INSTALLED, WORK SUCH AS FRONT-END ALIGNMENT OR
WHEEL BALANCING, CONSTANT VELOCITY JOINT BOOTS, SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS,
CELLULAR PHONES, ELECTRONIC TRANSMITTING DEVICES (EXCEPT FOR BURGLAR
ALARM, ELECTRONIC ENTRY SYSTEMS INCLUDING REMOTE ENTRY, RECEIVER, SENDER,
AND MODULE), RADAR DETECTORS, APPLIANCES, VINYL AND CONVERTIBLE TOPS;
SAMPLE
ANY MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN CAUSED BY MISUSE, ABUSE, NEGLIGENCE (INCLUDING THE
NEGLIGENCE OF ANY REPAIR FACILITY), IMPROPER TOWING, OR LACK OF MAINTENANCE
SAMPLESECONDARY
14. BURNT VALVES, WORN OR CARBON FOULED PISTON RINGS, THE CORRECTION OF OIL
CONSUMPTION, ANY REPAIRS FOR REDUCTION IN ENGINE EFFICIENCY THAT MUST BE
PERFORMED ON YOUR VEHICLE;
15. ANY MAINTENANCE ON YOUR VEHICLE;
16. ANY PERSONAL EXPENSES (EXCEPT WHERE NOTED UNDER TRAVEL BREAKDOWN) ARISING
BECAUSE YOUR VEHICLE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR YOU TO USE;
17. DAMAGES CAUSED TO YOUR ENGINE RESULTING FROM THE INGESTION OF WATER THROUGH
THE ENGINE AIR INTAKE SYSTEM (COMMONLY REFERRED TO AS WATER INGESTION);
18. ANY MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN WHICH EXISTED OR WAS CAUSED BY A CONDITION
KNOWN TO YOU ON OR PRIOR TO THE SERVICE CONTRACT PURCHASE DATE.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by alexstjo
I got a quote from Costco (but they don't sell in California yet) it was $3K for a 2010 targa 4s with 4500 miles, coverage was 7 years 70K miles. No idea if that is a good price as I don't know what a RMS would cost.
Given your car is still under warranty, it may make more sense to wait until the very end of your warranty or to ask them what the cost would be for your vehicle if it was out of warranty. If it is a complete bumper to bumper warranty another way to look at it is I can cap my future mechanical and electrical costs (excluding regular service items) on this car over the next seven years for three grand or $430 a year. I doubt you will reach the 10,000 miles a year threshold if your 2010 has 4,500 miles on it in 2012. By then all the kinks should be out and you will know it has been fully maintained and if it is running smooth probably have a car that will last you a long, long time.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:26 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is on a distinguished road
Also Note:

YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. HAVE YOUR VEHICLE SERVICED ACCORDING TO THE MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE PROVIDED
IN THE MANUFACTURER’S OWNER’S MANUAL. YOU MUST KEEP ORIGINAL COPIES OF
ALL REPAIR ORDERS, INVOICES, AND RECEIPTS FROM THE PERFORMED SERVICES AND
MAINTENANCE AND PRESENT THE ORIGINALS AT THE TIME A CLAIM IS MADE;
2. USE ALL MEANS TO PROTECT YOUR VEHICLE FROM FURTHER DAMAGE IN THE EVENT OF
A MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN. WITHOUT LIMITING THIS GENERAL RULE, SPECIFICALLY
YOU MUST STOP THE VEHICLE IMMEDIATELY AND HAVE IT REPAIRED BEFORE DRIVING IT
FURTHER.
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THE RESPONSIBILITIES OUTLINED ABOVE MAY RESULT IN THE
DENIAL OF YOUR CLAIM. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS WHICH CANNOT BE ANSWERED BY
YOUR SELLER, PLEASE CONTACT CWS.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:36 AM
mihink can only hope to improve
Bumping an old thread...
Anyone purchase the Costco warranty and run a claim? My CPO warranty runs out in 02/12 and I am going to hold onto this car for a long time and want/need an ext. warranty

Old 08-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by mihink
Bumping an old thread...
Anyone purchase the Costco warranty and run a claim? My CPO warranty runs out in 02/12 and I am going to hold onto this car for a long time and want/need an ext. warranty
I'm interested in knowing this too! Costco said they are going to start selling warranties in Colorado.

Last edited by DoninDEN; 08-21-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:11 AM
GeorgeDean is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
I'm interested in knowing this too! Costco said they are going to start selling warranties in Colorado.
Any Costco warranty experiences??

I want to buy one from them.

George

Old 12-20-2011, 03:05 PM
DS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to behold
I have Western General (division of Protective Life Insurance). Extended Warranty companies are not motivated to pay so it does require calling them a couple of times. I already have an ok experience with them to replace the motor for spoiler. They are at 800 242 9442. I got 5 years upto 100k miles. Get transferable and non-cancelable for best price/value. Cancelable is useless as they return prorated for years not used but only if you have never file a claim. Get non-transferable (if they still offer) if you absolutely will keep the car. Please report your findings.

Protective (previously Western General)
5230 Las Virgenes Rd.
Calabasas, CA 91302
800-242-9442
www.protectiveassetprotection.com

Old 12-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Swiss is on a distinguished road
Just signed up for a Costco warranty. Couple interesting points:

- They made a mistake prior to October this year and their prices were more than 50% lower than what they should have been. They made that price adjustment since then. So if you see someone here talking about prices that seemed too good to be true. they were. Costco though does stand to their offer and seems to be honoring those quotes given up to the price adjustment. Some lucky people got an incredible deal.
- The rep reiterated that Costco stands behind this warranty. I'm sure it's not perfect, but with Costco behind, I'm not expecting any real issued down the road
- last but not least, the warranty can be cancelled at any point with a pro-rated refund. Interestingly, you can sign up for a 6 year contract and cancel it after 3 years, which should be a lot cheaper than signing up for a 3 year contract. Just a thought ......

Old 12-20-2011, 06:40 PM
GeorgeDean is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Swiss
Just signed up for a Costco warranty. Couple interesting points:

- They made a mistake prior to October this year and their prices were more than 50% lower than what they should have been. They made that price adjustment since then. So if you see someone here talking about prices that seemed too good to be true. they were. Costco though does stand to their offer and seems to be honoring those quotes given up to the price adjustment. Some lucky people got an incredible deal.
- The rep reiterated that Costco stands behind this warranty. I'm sure it's not perfect, but with Costco behind, I'm not expecting any real issued down the road
- last but not least, the warranty can be cancelled at any point with a pro-rated refund. Interestingly, you can sign up for a 6 year contract and cancel it after 3 years, which should be a lot cheaper than signing up for a 3 year contract. Just a thought ......
I bought a 6/60 today.... What did you buy???

link to post... https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...purchased.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Warranty