997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Targa making me ride less and less...

Old 08-08-2011, 09:48 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
997 Targa making me ride less and less...

I am a motorcycle rider and have been for years - last year I picked up a rare BMW K1300R (don't even send them to the US). I use to do everything on the bike whenever I had a chance even organizing trips on the weekends with friends. Now with Targa around (well its in the repair shop thread here) - I find the bike parked more and more; opting for the addictive flat six and the wonderful sun and breeze of the Porsche. I went yesterday to pull my bike out of the garage and go for a spin. I was shocked that for the entire riding season so far I had only put on 1,000km - crazy low for me! I think a few things are happening here and wondering if this is the norm...??

1) I think I am just in love with the 997 experience so much that I would rather drive then ride - plain and simple. Music, sun, fun, and can wear what I want.

2) I just have no time .. my weekends are filled with stuff around the house and catching up on work that taking a day to ride would be insanity. My errands usually need to carry stuff and I need a car for that - 911 has tons of space!

3) I have started to play more golf and I can't take the clubs on the bike; but they fit great in the Targa hatch.

4) Lately I have been hearing so much crap about guys going down and actually witness to CRV bouncing a biker off his ride onto my Targa a few weeks ago; then ramming us - that its put a damper on it all. I refuse to leave the house without looking like IronMan with all my gear and its cumbersome for a 5-10minute ride.

Anyhow just thought I would throw this out there... curious.

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2011, 10:06 PM
alexstjo is on a distinguished road
I know what you mean. I had a Harley and when I got my targa it just collected dust. I had to sell the Harley and I never looked back!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:30 PM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
Naaaa, you're way wrong man.
Everyone knows that the Targa is hugely heavy, and the roof always squeaks, and they're clumsy slow, and they're rare because nobody wants them, and you'll take a beating on the resale because they're rare, and they all have cooties. Plus they give you seat cramps, shortness of pants, high stool, and even delayed borgarigmys, the only cure for which is death!
And ....well....and a lot of other stuff too.
Horrible horrible car.
Everybody knows.

Best wishes for big smiles in it.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:00 AM
mathfuzzy is on a distinguished road
I know I enjoy driving my Targa each and every time I get in the car. My Fiance and I attended a wedding in San Francisco on Saturday - beautiful day - and we both looked forward to the 20-mile drive there and back. Pretty sure there was a wedding and a reception in between drives.

I find myself planning for the next road trip because of the Targa. Pretty great. For that matter, I find myself looking forward to a trip to the dry cleaners...grocery store...client's office...etc.

Enjoy the ride...er...drive...

Old 08-09-2011, 01:11 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
So I had a BMW R1100RS years back that I used to ride harder than a BMW should be ridden. Anyway, I found myself wheeling the bike onto 101 here on the Peninsula. Brain flash...brrrp...great life...brrrp three great kids...brrrp...happy marriage...brrrp...spend the rest of my life with a tube in my neck in the prone position and drool coming down my mouth....brrrp...no way!
A severe type 'A' I knew I would never take it easy on the bike and I had gotten very close to being clipped while riding once or twice.
Dropped the front wheel onto the pavement, took the next exit and headed to my (most excellent) BMW dealer. Left the bike there for sale and asked my wife to pick me up.
Bought my 997S Cab, and the rest is a very smiling history - with NO bugs in my teeth!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:02 AM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
I still ride every chance I get.. it's what I do.. I don't fish, and I don't play golf.. I ride.

I've been riding on two wheels my entire life (started riding a Triumph Tiger Cub in '64). I still find time for the bikes and the car.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !Ken968 Is a GOD !
I agree with the OP. I ride sport bikes and barely put any miles on my bike this season. Some of the reasons I think for this are

1. I "dress for the slide not the ride" So I also have on a bit of gear and for short trips its just easier in the 997.
2. I have a cab so its the closest thing to being on a bike as you can get in a 4 wheel car.
3. Several of my riding buddies have stopped riding for various reasons.

Either way I will still keep my bike because trackdays on it are a blast.

Ken

Old 08-09-2011, 05:57 PM
paddyh is on a distinguished road
My solution:

Saturday is car day in the mountains (2+ hours every weekend)
Sunday is bike day in the mountains (2+ hours every weekend)

Everyone stays happy.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:12 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by paddyh
My solution:

Saturday is car day in the mountains (2+ hours every weekend)
Sunday is bike day in the mountains (2+ hours every weekend)

Everyone stays happy.
I miss the zen moments that riding gives me and I am thinking that I do just that - schedule time on my Saturdays that force me to go for a ride because the city streets are brutal and the only way you can really get any enjoyment out of it is if you go a ways out.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Same here.
It took 2 years to customize my bike (+100K) absolutely love it, rode it all the time (even after I bough a F360 spider).

But after buying the C4S cab... I take the bike out 2x a year

So if ya want to keep riding your bike a little... don't buy a cab !

Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Same here.
It took 2 years to customize my bike (+100K) absolutely love it, rode it all the time (even after I bough a F360 spider).

But after buying the C4S cab... I take the bike out 2x a year

So if ya want to keep riding your bike a little... don't buy a cab !

Old 08-09-2011, 09:44 PM
CarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these partsCarFreak007 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by uhn2000
I am a motorcycle rider and have been for years - last year I picked up a rare BMW K1300R (don't even send them to the US). I use to do everything on the bike whenever I had a chance even organizing trips on the weekends with friends. Now with Targa around (well its in the repair shop thread here) - I find the bike parked more and more; opting for the addictive flat six and the wonderful sun and breeze of the Porsche. I went yesterday to pull my bike out of the garage and go for a spin. I was shocked that for the entire riding season so far I had only put on 1,000km - crazy low for me! I think a few things are happening here and wondering if this is the norm...??

1) I think I am just in love with the 997 experience so much that I would rather drive then ride - plain and simple. Music, sun, fun, and can wear what I want.

2) I just have no time .. my weekends are filled with stuff around the house

and catching up on work that taking a day to ride would be insanity. My errands usually need to carry stuff and I need a car for that - 911 has tons of space!

3) I have started to play more golf and I can't take the clubs on the bike; but they fit great in the Targa hatch.

4) Lately I have been hearing so much crap about guys going down and actually witness to CRV bouncing a biker off his ride onto my Targa a few weeks ago; then ramming us - that its put a damper on it all. I refuse to leave the house without looking like IronMan with all my gear and its cumbersome for a 5-10minute ride.

Anyhow just thought I would throw this out there... curious.
That BMW looks beast! But i would rather drive a Porsche know wat you mean

Old 08-09-2011, 10:31 PM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
ever since i bought my '09 C2 and upgraded to an '11 C4, my '08 Ducati 848 has been quite jealous. I barely take her out anymore.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:49 AM
LiquidLobotomy can only hope to improve
Great post, especially the part about the golf!

Old 03-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Ok so today I did the unthinkable and took an offer for my bike. I have always wanted an M5 to add to the stable so made a deal with the wife. Get my 3rd car but make room in the garage - "this is not a collectors showroom honey".. Got offered exactly what I wanted for it.

With our 1st born on the way and little or not time to ride I figure it was the best thing to do. With less riding I found myself losing some of that confidence and skill that I use to have and on a bike that is not a good thing. Rather then be tempted to take it out once or twice a year in the crappy roads of Toronto I took the plunge to dump it. I hope to replace the Targa with a 991 in the near future, talk to you all later.

Figure that when I am semiretired with plenty of time to do those day trips I will get back into it.

Last edited by uhn2000; 03-18-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Targa making me ride less and less...