997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Looking for Opinions..BMW to Porsche..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:10 AM
tqevo is on a distinguished road
Definitely get a 2006 or newer if you can afford it.

An M3 is arguably more practical and a better DD because of the smoother ride and more spacious interior.

I DD my 997 ~50 miles almost every day and in my 2 and a half months of ownership, the only nuisances I noticed were:
The sun visor is a little short (not a problem for most but there is perpetual sun when I am on the roads here).
The sport button (if you have it) has to be toggled back on every time you start the car if want the improved throttle response, and the sport PASM setting is a little too rough to be used in town (but I always turn it back on for the freeway ).

But I feel like I'm only picking out minor quirks for the sake of picking out problems. I haven't driven the newest M3, but the older ones that I have were brilliant. That being said, the 997 felt better in every aspect.

I think it depends what you really value... if you care about gadgetry and comfort, an older 997 may not do it for you compared with a new M3.
But personally, as a driver first and foremost, I can't think of any other car I would rather have at the target price point.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:08 AM
540Oak is on a distinguished road
thx..

thanks for all your replies guys..you have given me good food for thought..You've also confirmed what I've been thinking. I will try to go for the newest I can in 6Spd. At this point I cannot afford a '09 unless a really good lease deal comes up.

BTW I am impressed with amount of positive feedback and opinions..on some of the bimmer forums you get smart *** comments..it's refreshing to get some good advice..

Old 08-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 540Oak
Thx for your feedback...Ironically the attention from others (especially work colleagues or my DIRs or Mgrs who drive Infiniti etc) is big factor that is holding me back..I'm not rich BUT I dont have any kids so thats why I can afford a 911
I actually got a C63 first, as a stealthy fun car, and it's still my car for business meetings, but I enjoy the 911 much more, and the attention issue hasn't been nearly as much of a problem as I worried about. But it really does depend on each person's circumstances.

If you do get the 911, maybe just downplay it and tell people it's an old used one which cost less than most new cars, and that you never could have gotten a new 911 (if they ask).

As others have suggested, definitely spend as much time on test drives as you can. Reading reviews and getting input from others helps, but it ultimately comes down to what you enjoy most.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:05 AM
saeyedoc will become famous soon enoughsaeyedoc will become famous soon enough
I just got out of an '08 335i into a '12 Cayman S. The Cayman is so much more fun to drive. I daily drive mine, got the options I needed to make it comfortable for that (XM, ventilated seats, PDK/sport chrono, PASM). For $50k I'd look for '09+ Cayman's, there were big changes from the earlier models. With two trunks, they have a suprising amount of storage space.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:17 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
For business meetings etc. I never take the 911 to see or pickup a customer. Whether its a cayman or a boxter or 911 its a Porsche and people have this weird thing. Ironically I was in lawyers office discussing their IT requirements. He looked out his window and saw our competitors pulling up in a Boxster (old one too). Obviously he knows very little about cars and jumps on the guy - "never giving him the deal looks like he doing really well"... moron.

Anyways the point is people will be haters but Porsche still holds that iconic brand that is special. I can pickup a customer in an M5 and they would not know what hit them but pick them up in a 911 and its like oooh Wow. Its why I need both

Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 AM
mousecrab is on a distinguished road
Thx for your feedback...Ironically the attention from others (especially work colleagues or my DIRs or Mgrs who drive Infiniti etc) is big factor that is holding me back..I'm not rich BUT I dont have any kids so thats why I can afford a 911
It sure is something tricky to manage. I let my direct manager knew about my search way ahead and share my findings with him so he know it is used at a reasonable price and i'm not trying to get ahead of him.
Started off driving it in to work only once or twice a week, as more peers started to notice the car some rummors came and I found a good opportunity to tell one of my peers (whom just brought a 335i cab and I know she would spread the words) it's mine and put attention to how good a deal and value it is comparing to new. Also down played the overall cost (even thought it is really less than what some might expected) Well received and now i can drive it to work more or less daily.

I have a E46 330 with M package so well. it is already quite a bit rougher than a regular 330 with the M package. Driving back to back with the two is a day and night difference. Put aside the huge power difference the overall drive (not ride ) is much better on the 997. Steering, brake, clutch everything is much tighter and gives a better driving feel.
Still like the 330 a lot as it is fun, good style, decent power and not have to worry about door ding or crap as much but man 997 is totally a few classes higher!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uhn2000
For business meetings etc. I never take the 911 to see or pickup a customer. Whether its a cayman or a boxter or 911 its a Porsche and people have this weird thing. Ironically I was in lawyers office discussing their IT requirements. He looked out his window and saw our competitors pulling up in a Boxster (old one too). Obviously he knows very little about cars and jumps on the guy - "never giving him the deal looks like he doing really well"... moron.

Anyways the point is people will be haters but Porsche still holds that iconic brand that is special. I can pickup a customer in an M5 and they would not know what hit them but pick them up in a 911 and its like oooh Wow. Its why I need both
Yup, that's exactly how it is in my field (engineering). The Porsche image is above Audi, BMW, and MB, and below only exotics. Thing about my C63 is that people who aren't car enthusiasts don't usually know it's not a regular "entry level" MB, though the three-point star doesn't help matters.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by muerdeme
"But in 2009 the 911 got very fast"

Ah...sounds like somebody is a fan of automatics. This is actually a really good point. If you do prefer automatics...PDK was a huge advance. If you are looking to work a 6 speed feel free to go for older 997s.
I think that the introduction of direct fuel injection also substantially improved the responsiveness of the 997.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 AM
BTW I am impressed with amount of positive feedback and opinions..on some of the bimmer forums you get smart *** comments..it's refreshing to get some good advice..
I noticed that too. I don't want to generalize too much, since every forum has diversity, but it seems like M3 guys tend to want to believe they're king of the hill while feeling insecure about that, whereas perhaps most Porsche guys feel they've already "made it" so they just relax and enjoy their cars.

And this could go both ways, with the car you're driving also influencing your mindset. To my surprise, I've noticed that my attitude is noticeably different when I'm driving my C63 versus 911. The C63 brings out the hooligan in me, whereas the 911 doesn't.

Interesting stuff ...

Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 AM
EricUSC is on a distinguished road
Hi folks,
For my budget I am looking for slightly used (1 year) M3 or 2005/06 911.

1. Is there any (major) issues with 2005/2006 911's?
2. Which is a better Daily Driver, overall?
3. Should I look at a newer 911?

I am of-course interested in any opinions like a Caymen
I test drove a bunch of cars before purchasing a 2005 911 in March 2011. Under consideration were '05 911, '06/'07 Cayman S, '08 M3, and new '12 135i.

1. '06 911s have a revised intermediate main seal (IMS), but I still went with an '05 due to the lower price and the fact that I can replace the IMS with an improved one from LN Engineering. The '06-'08 models come with a larger IMS that cannot be replaced.

2. The M3 can comfortably seat 4 and has more trunk space. The 911 has better gas mileage. The M3 is faster and the 911 is a more unique driving experience. The 911 turns more heads, which could be a good or bad thing for daily driving.

3. You mentioned that your budget calls for either a 1 yr old M3 ('10 model?) or a '05/'06 911, but the 1 yr old M3 is significantly more expensive that a 5/6 yr old 911. I was looking at the '08 M3 and they were still more expensive than '05 911s. If you can afford a '10 M3, you can also look at '07/'08 911s, but I'd save the money since an '06 model is identical.

I skipped on the M3 due to the high purchase price and high operating cost. I was really close to picking a Cayman S because of the mid-engine configuration but decided on the 911 because of the improved image and classic Porsche lines. I do have a Honda Civic which I drive to work and use when I need to bring more than one passenger.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:41 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
I also had a 135i (2008 SGM over Boston Coral). It was a fun car to drive but no where near as fun as my 06 C2. Some might say the ride is more harsh in the Porsche, I would say that you have a better feel for the road and are more connected to what is going on.

As for being a DD, I drive mine almost every day except for when it snows. I am sure my C2 would do fine in the snow too (I have winter rims/tires), I am just concerned about the other people on the road!

So to sum it up, the 135i is a nice fun touring car. The 911 is a pure sports car.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:43 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Oh and the ///M3 is nice but I will say that the 135i has more lower end kick then that NA V8. In the city you want something with torque.. more fun! The Porsches have plenty

Old 08-12-2011, 11:48 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
To the OP: If you are a through and through BMW fan you ought to test drive a 911 thoroughly as it is a very different car. You may like it better or you may not.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 PM
I agree with the comment that the M3 lacks torque in the lower half of its rev range. For that reason, I think the DCT may be preferable in the M3, since it can do a good job maintaining higher revs.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:51 PM
540Oak is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
If you do get the 911, maybe just downplay it and tell people it's an old used one which cost less than most new cars, and that you never could have gotten a new 911 (if they ask).
As others have suggested, definitely spend as much time on test drives as you can. Reading reviews and getting input from others helps, but it ultimately comes down to what you enjoy most.
Great Advice IAA, thx!

Originally Posted by uhn2000
For business meetings etc. I never take the 911 to see or pickup a customer. Whether its a cayman or a boxter or 911 its a Porsche and people have this weird thing. Ironically I was in lawyers office discussing their IT requirements. He looked out his window and saw our competitors pulling up in a Boxster (old one too). Obviously he knows very little about cars and jumps on the guy - "never giving him the deal looks like he doing really well"... moron
Exactly..I am a independent IT contractor and the last thing I want is that they wouldnt extend my contract b/c they think they are paying me too much..my collegues already think I'm "rich" b/c I drive a 135 and my wife a X3..

Originally Posted by mousecrab
It sure is something tricky to manage. I let my direct manager knew about my search way ahead and share my findings with him so he know it is used at a reasonable price and i'm not trying to get ahead of him
Again, great advice Mousecrab..

Originally Posted by IAA-C63
I noticed that too. I don't want to generalize too much, since every forum has diversity, but it seems like M3 guys tend to want to believe they're king of the hill while feeling insecure about that, whereas perhaps most Porsche guys feel they've already "made it" so they just relax and enjoy their cars.
IAA, my "general" feeling (I also don't want to generalize) is that bimmer owners (1 and 3 series) are younger..As a result they havent "matured" (so to speak..). Great point of view on Porsche owners...just yest I had this guy in a JETTA weaving in and out of traffic and then tail gating me...I know I could smoke but why bother, so I just moved over..maybe that means I am "mature" enough for a Porsche

Originally Posted by EricUSC
I test drove a bunch of cars before purchasing a 2005 911 in March 2011. Under consideration were '05 911, '06/'07 Cayman S, '08 M3, and new '12 135i.
1. '06 911s have a revised intermediate main seal (IMS), but I still went with an '05 due to the lower price and the fact that I can replace the IMS with an improved one from LN Engineering. The '06-'08 models come with a larger IMS that cannot be replaced.
2. The M3 can comfortably seat 4 and has more trunk space. The 911 has better gas mileage. The M3 is faster and the 911 is a more unique driving experience. The 911 turns more heads, which could be a good or bad thing for daily driving.
3. You mentioned that your budget calls for either a 1 yr old M3 ('10 model?) or a '05/'06 911, but the 1 yr old M3 is significantly more expensive that a 5/6 yr old 911. I was looking at the '08 M3 and they were still more expensive than '05 911s. If you can afford a '10 M3, you can also look at '07/'08 911s, but I'd save the money since an '06 model is identical.
I skipped on the M3 due to the high purchase price and high operating cost. I was really close to picking a Cayman S because of the mid-engine configuration but decided on the 911 because of the improved image and classic Porsche lines. I do have a Honda Civic which I drive to work and use when I need to bring more than one passenger.
thx very much EricUSC, this was very helpful for me..yeah when I reviewed the prices looks like I can get a 08 or 08 M3, nothing newer..what I do like about the 911's is that they havent changed (visually at least) over last few years..not like a bimmers or mercs..

Originally Posted by adias
To the OP: If you are a through and through BMW fan you ought to test drive a 911 thoroughly as it is a very different car. You may like it better or you may not.
thx adias, I am a through and through BMW fan..the problem I am having is who is going to let me have a "extended" drive, nonetheless great advice..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for Opinions..BMW to Porsche..