997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Looking for Opinions..BMW to Porsche..

Old 08-11-2011, 08:09 PM
540Oak is on a distinguished road
Looking for Opinions..BMW to Porsche..

Hi folks,
I have searched the forums but have more specific questions so hence my posting. I am looking for some opinions. I currently drive a 135. While I am completely satisfied with the way it drives, I am not completely enamored with the way it looks. My last 3 cars have been bimmers. It's what I know. However I am looking to change it up a bit. I have been thinking about a M3 but as I said I am looking for a changed so I am also looking into a Porsche. I am new to the PCar world. I am looking for opinions on which one to start out with.. For my budget I am looking for slightly used (1 year) M3 or 2005/06 911.

1. Is there any (major) issues with 2005/2006 911's?
2. Which is a better Daily Driver, overall?
3. Should I look at a newer 911?

I am of-course interested in any opinions like a Caymen (not looking for a convertible)

thanks!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
1. Rule of thumb, always get the newest one you can afford. So that means an 06'
2. They are all great daily drivers except maybe the GT3, ride is a bit rough compared to the other models.
3. Again, what is your budget? Hard you give you advise when you don't know how much you have to spend.

Cayman has only two seats, do you need to extra kid's seats in the back? They are capable cars but lacks power. I recently drove the Cayman R and Cayman S and they are remarkable on the track.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Ynot
1. Rule of thumb, always get the newest one you can afford. So that means an 06'
2. They are all great daily drivers except maybe the GT3, ride is a bit rough compared to the other models.
3. Again, what is your budget? Hard you give you advise when you don't know how much you have to spend.

Cayman has only two seats, do you need to extra kid's seats in the back? They are capable cars but lacks power. I recently drove the Cayman R and Cayman S and they are remarkable on the track.
thx for your quick reply YNOT..
I dont and will not be having kids so I dont need the back seat. My budget is approx $50k-$55k. Like I said I like the smoothness and tight feedback you get from a bimmer. When you say "rough"..how rough are talking? Are they not good daily drivers? Meaning is a M3 better/smoother? I am not really looking for a track car.. Also what is newer in 2007+..I really need Bluetooth..

Last edited by 540Oak; 08-11-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:58 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Having owned a 135i I can chime in here a bit.

1) The 135i is really a fantastic package that few companies can match.
2) The Porsche ride is a bit "tighter" and not as comfy. Yes a good DD but on bumpy downtown streets - you will feel it more.
3) The Porsches are better looking and unique so the look factor is there.
4) You will really enjoy the Cayman/Boxster experience but as always I suggest a nice lengthy test drive to make your final verdict.

If you are looking for a more involving and responsive driving experience go Porsche.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 540Oak
thx for your quick reply YNOT..
I dont and will not be having kids so I dont need the back seat. My budget is approx $50k-$55k. Like I said I like the smoothness and tight feedback you get from a bimmer. When you say "rough"..how rough are talking? Are they not good daily drivers? Meaning is a M3 better/smoother? I am not really looking for a track car.. Also what is newer in 2007+..I really need Bluetooth..
I just did a quick autotrader search and it yield 265 results. The newest one you can get is a 2007 Carrera with CPO, you can get 2006 C2S's w/o CPO. Do you need the all wheel drive? If so I would suggest C4S, there were some in there at your price range. You will get a better feedback from a Porsche. With PASM, it's pretty smooth if you don't press the sport button. Your budget can't get you a GT3, so I guess it doesn't matter how rough the ride is. I'm not sure about bluetooth. I don't talk and drive. M3 are capable cars but they are not a Porsche.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Having owned a 135i I can chime in here a bit.
1) The 135i is really a fantastic package that few companies can match.
2) The Porsche ride is a bit "tighter" and not as comfy. Yes a good DD but on bumpy downtown streets - you will feel it more.
3) The Porsches are better looking and unique so the look factor is there.
4) You will really enjoy the Cayman/Boxster experience but as always I suggest a nice lengthy test drive to make your final verdict.
If you are looking for a more involving and responsive driving experience go Porsche.
Yeah thats how I feel about the 135. Its a great little rocket. If I had waited perhaps I would have gotten a 1M Coupe, but then we wouldnt be trading posts now...

While I heard that the Caymen is the perfect compromise between the boxster and 911 there is just something about the rear that I just dont like. I kind of "settled" with the 135 (instead of the 335) and I have been looking since. I dont want to make the same mistake twice so I am kind of settled on a 911.

I've already been in touch with a sales person @ Pfaff for a yest drive.

Originally Posted by Ynot
I just did a quick autotrader search and it yield 265 results. The newest one you can get is a 2007 Carrera with CPO, you can get 2006 C2S's w/o CPO. Do you need the all wheel drive? If so I would suggest C4S, there were some in there at your price range. You will get a better feedback from a Porsche. With PASM, it's pretty smooth if you don't press the sport button. Your budget can't get you a GT3, so I guess it doesn't matter how rough the ride is. I'm not sure about bluetooth. I don't talk and drive. M3 are capable cars but they are not a Porsche.
thx for doing a search for me. I most likely will be buying in Canada where the prices are higher..

Old 08-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 540Oak
Also what is newer in 2007+..I really need Bluetooth..
Coming from a 545 (which I still have and love), I was really used to the creature comforts that you would find in a BMW or Mercedes. So when I went looking for my 911, creature comforts such as Bluetooth, iPod interface, and Nav really factored in (though in the beginning of the hunt, I didn't care what "convenient" options the 911 had, I just wanted in the car!). 2009 is the first time (with the 997.2) that Bluetooth and iPod interface was available, and I think in the next year (2010) it was standard (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So if you really need the 997 itch scratched, and are looking at 997.1's, be ready to spring for a new head unit w/ nav/bluetooth/ipod. There are threads here about replacing the 997.1 PCM with an aftermarket unit. Still will set you back at least $2000.

Hope that helped a bit.

BOL.

Ron

Old 08-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Scoper
Coming from a 545 (which I still have and love), I was really used to the creature comforts that you would find in a BMW or Mercedes. So when I went looking for my 911, creature comforts such as Bluetooth, iPod interface, and Nav really factored in (though in the beginning of the hunt, I didn't care what "convenient" options the 911 had, I just wanted in the car!). 2009 is the first time (with the 997.2) that Bluetooth and iPod interface was available, and I think in the next year (2010) it was standard (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So if you really need the 997 itch scratched, and are looking at 997.1's, be ready to spring for a new head unit w/ nav/bluetooth/ipod. There are threads here about replacing the 997.1 PCM with an aftermarket unit. Still will set you back at least $2000.

Hope that helped a bit.

BOL.

Ron
Thx BOL..I knew about that and YES that did help...the 545 is a beast in the bimmer world. How do compare it in reference to the my questions, eg a DD, etc?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Re: DD, my 911 is now my DD . I drive it every chance I get. I reserve my 545 for times when I have to cart the kids around somewhere, or on the weekend, running errands with the family. Also for long road trips - it's just more comfortable, IMO. But any quick trip to the store, taking the wife out to dinner, driving to work (up to 50 miles in a day sometimes) the 911 always gets chosen. When I'm away on a trip, I can't wait to get back home so I can get back into the Pcar.

The one thing I would echo is that the ride is definitely rougher - or should I just say... stiffer - than an M3, but to me it's expected because the 911, to me, is pure sports car. The road noise is definitely louder than an M3. I see M3 as more of a highly tuned performance luxury sports coupe. But everything in the 911 - is ALL worth the whole package - I couldn't be happier. Of course, if my commute took me over horrible potholed streets every day, that wouldn't work so well. Thankfully it doesn't...

Ron

Last edited by Scoper; 08-11-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
The M3 is a great sports sedan (not much different from the coupe), as is the C63, and I like both of these better than the Panamera. The 911 and Cayman are true sports cars, each with its own feel, and with the 911 being a bit roomier inside. If you don't need the back seat and nice trunk, and don't mind the attention a Porsche generates, I'd go Porsche. It's really on a higher level than BMW and MB, though these are good too (and I currently have all three).

Last edited by Manifold; 08-12-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
don't mind the attention a Porsche generates, I'd go Porsche.
Thx for your feedback...Ironically the attention from others (especially work colleagues or my DIRs or Mgrs who drive Infiniti etc) is big factor that is holding me back..I'm not rich BUT I dont have any kids so thats why I can afford a 911

Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 PM
JT3
JT3 will become famous soon enoughJT3 will become famous soon enough
Go test drive the Caymen, go to a local meet or dealer.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Ginza Man will become famous soon enough
I have 3 BMW and Boxster S, which I had for 4.5 years and just sold it. I am getting my 2009 911 S shipped to me tomorrow. Best thing to do is go to dealer and test drive Cayman S or Boxster S and soon you will know if that if this is the car you want. I found out after driving for 10 mins in my Boxster S, I realized how special Porsche was. After reading many reviews on all car magazine, I never fully understood what it means to having an engine that is in the back. I didn't quite understand what the big deal was all about. Modded 135 is def could be faster in straight line, but it's not rewarding to drive. It's not so fun either. BMW is nice and I have 3 of them but BMW could never be Porsche. BMW never feels connected as a extension of your body. Now I know how special Porsche is and I will never stop driving it. If you are type of person who drive really fast on every corners out there, you will truly appreciate what it means to drive Porsche. BMW have nice handling as I know how it feels, but there is nothing feels like Porsche. Only owner would know what I am talking about. Porsche is not only beautiful to look at but it's designed to be perfectly functional. Thus there is no substitute - Dr. F Porsche

Old 08-11-2011, 11:37 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I kept wanting to change from bmw to porsche before 2009 but everytime I drove a 911 I felt it was slower, more expensive, less amenities, less comfortable and the only positive was that it looked better. But in 2009 the 911 got very fast, better looking, all the techno amenities and thus I have not looked back to bmw.
If I had to chose between a 2010 m3 or a 2006 911, I would definitely take the m3. Test drive them both and I will be shocked if you think the 2006 911 comes close in any category to the m3.
Move over to porsche when you do not have to sacrifice too much of what you need in a car for what you are willing to pay.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:20 AM
muerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to all
"But in 2009 the 911 got very fast"

Ah...sounds like somebody is a fan of automatics. This is actually a really good point. If you do prefer automatics...PDK was a huge advance. If you are looking to work a 6 speed feel free to go for older 997s.

ZZZspeed also brings in a good point on tech...if that is important it will push you towards nearer years.

In terms of styling...I really don't see too much of a difference. The beauty of Carrera's is that they don't change too much over time...slight mods to the lights and bumpers really don't register too much with me.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for Opinions..BMW to Porsche..