997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Tire replacement dilemma: What would you do ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:18 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Tire replacement dilemma: What would you do ?

When in need I always turn to my esteemed fellow members: So for the past few weeks (actually months) my left rear tire was losing pressure and I finally had the time to take it to the dealer (who is 130 miles away) today. Diagnosis: Nail embedded in the tire. The tech felt that it was safer to leave the nail in rather than patch it for now. Bad news: Porsche does not approve tire repair/patching. So I am looking at replacing all 4 tires (they all have 50% thread on it) but the service advisor says I can just replace the rear two for now. It was my understanding that all four tires need replacement on a all wheel drive car. But he says for my driving (non-track just highway style) replacing the rears alone would suffice. I bought the tire and wheel insurance but that would only cover the cost of the damaged tire So should I

1) Replace all 4 and have the other three handy for the future.
2) Replace just the rear two.
3) Any other suggestions ?

Old 08-24-2011, 07:23 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
You do not have to replace the 4 tires.

And... assuming you will not be taking the car to the autobahn for 140MPH runs, or to the track for high-speed sessions, and if the puncture is not within 1.5 inches from the edge you can very well do a patch from the inside. I would take the tire to a competent tire shop and patch it.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:34 PM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
Get two of the same brand N rating for the rears. By the time they wear out then you can replace all 4 with whatever you want. PSS may be N rated by then. I have 4 on now which replaced PS2s all around.
Would not want to be on I 90 near trucks with a patched tire. If it failed your warranty could be suspect if other related damage should occur.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:39 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by seapar
Get two of the same brand N rating for the rears. By the time they wear out then you can replace all 4 with whatever you want. PSS may be N rated by then. I have 4 on now which replaced PS2s all around.
Would not want to be on I 90 near trucks with a patched tire. If it failed your warranty could be suspect if other related damage should occur.
What's the issue of driving on a truck highway at 70MPH or slower with a properly patched tire? PAG assumes the worse... large puncture, car driven for hours at autobahn speeds. Incidentally, driving around trucks increases the likelihood of another puncture... and if you never apply a patch, you will be constantly replacing tires, and in pairs at that?

Last edited by adias; 08-24-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:41 PM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
You can patch a Porsche tire safely, if you do not track the car. If the nail is too close to the sidewall or on the sidewall, a competent tire shop or technician will tell you the tire cannot be patched. Porsche has a no patching policy because they do not want the liability of someone tracking a Porsche on patched tires...

If you personally feel better about not patching, then just get two rear tires.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
You do not have to replace the 4 tires.

And... assuming you will not be taking the car to the autobahn for 140MPH runs, or to the track for high-speed sessions, and if the puncture is not within 1.5 inches from the edge you can very well do a patch from the inside. I would take the tire to a competent tire shop and patch it.
Great I will ask them how close it was to the sidewall and it looks like atleast for piece of mind I will go w/ replacing the rear two..... and no Toni I don't take it to the autobahn nor do I do anything remotely close to 140
Thanks for all the replies guys. The out of pocket expense for me would "just" be $ 500.00 as the affected tire would be replaced by the tire/wheel insurance that I bought. I am surprised that all 4 tires are worn 50% . I was under the impression thay the rear two wear out faster and that usually for every set of fronts we change, we change two sets of rears !! May be it's the PNW weather that is making all tires work harder.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:06 PM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
Yes. If a competent tire tech/shop will assess it is patchable, then likely it is ok
especially if you don't track the car and can monitor with TPMS.

I have had tires patched/repaired for my SUV but had to have two rear tires replaced on my wife's Boxster due to a large nail puncture that the supplied sealant could barely seal during a 5 mile slow trek to the dealer.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Yes. If a competent tire tech/shop will assess it is patchable, then likely it is ok
especially if you don't track the car and can monitor with TPMS.

I have had tires patched/repaired for my SUV but had to have two rear tires replaced on my wife's Boxster due to a large nail puncture that the supplied sealant could barely seal during a 5 mile slow trek to the dealer.
I agree with that. If a puncture is severe (a large bolt) sure the tire must be replaced as a patch will not hold.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:27 PM
MSCHWA3439 is infamous around these parts
patch it

Old 08-24-2011, 09:38 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Patch it! What dealer double talk! Even if you drive like an animal, you get another 5k miles out of the rears, if they are really at half tread. I've patched many and NEVER had an issue. As said, if you are heading for sustained speeds over 100, I'd think twice, but not otherwise. And for Pete's sake, don't have any tire work done at a dealer!!!

Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Patch it! What dealer double talk! Even if you drive like an animal, you get another 5k miles out of the rears, if they are really at half tread. I've patched many and NEVER had an issue. As said, if you are heading for sustained speeds over 100, I'd think twice, but not otherwise. And for Pete's sake, don't have any tire work done at a dealer!!!
I wonder how much a dealer charge for patching? I have never been charge for a patch at discount tires.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Take it to a local tire shop and patch it, fine for the type of driving you will be doing.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:43 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
your tire is half worn. why not change the rears out? patching is fine for streets but why wouldn't you get new rears for $500? at 50% worn, you may have to replace the rears by year end which will cost you $900. do the math. it's cheaper to get a new set right?

you are probably driving it too easy and that's why the rears are not wearing faster.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Wow... I was all set to take it to a tire shop to see if they would patch it but now after djantlive's post I'm wondering why not change both tires for $ 500.00 .. decisions ... decisions

Old 08-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Would the tire insurance cover the replacement or only be prorated due to 50% wear? It may affect the math and hence your decision. Without the insurance it sounds like patching is the way to go.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire replacement dilemma: What would you do ?