997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I'm Back: new engine going in...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I'm Back: new engine going in...

Hi Folks,
As you know I experienced an unfortunate catastrophic engine failure due to the well-known IMS issue among the early '05 C2S vehicles. I was able to negotiate a new (with upgraded IMS) engine from my dealer for $12k plus estimated labor of $3k. Not bad, really.

A definite bummer. I loved the SC'd engine, and I now know that the SC had nothing to do with the failure, which is nice.

But the new engine is coming with a 2 year, unlimited mile warrantee, so putting the SC back on is not going to happen. I'll either sell the modified SC or wait until the new warrantee expires and install it again. It was sheerly amazing- nothing on the road was quicker!

So now I'll be driving a 58k mile car, but breaking in a new engine! Sounds like fun! Can't wait to get back behind the wheel- it's been two months...
CATTMAN

Old 09-06-2011, 06:54 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Good for you...glad you are getting it all sorted out! BUT you are going to miss the supercharger power

Stacy

Old 09-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
Cattman,

I read about your engine failure and your misfortune led me to have the IMS retrofit performed, since I also have an early MY05 engine, albeit only a 3.6L. Regardless of whether the IMS issue is overblown or not, the $1,200 I spent seems like cheap insurance versus the possibility of having to pay $15,000 to have a new motor installed. Thanks for sharing your experience (as difficult as it was) and good luck with your new motor.

Last edited by Taxi!; 09-06-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:49 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Taxi! -- can you elaborate on what you had performed?

Are these problems (IMS/RMS) prevalent in '07 997s?

Originally Posted by Taxi!
Cattman,

I read about your engine failure and your misfortune led me to have the IMS retrofit performed, since I also have an early MY05 engine, albeit only a 3.6L. Regardless of whether the IMS issue is overblown or not, the $1,200 I spent seems like cheap insurance versus the possibility of having to pay $15,000 to have a new motor installed. Thanks for sharing your experience (as difficult as it was) and good luck with your new motor.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:57 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Glad it's coming back together for you. Let us know the progress and how she runs after all is said and done.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
good to see that everything worked out for you.

i am sure the s/c power will be missed, however you cannot argue with a full warranty on the new motor!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:20 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Did you have any indication (e.g. leaky IMS) that you were going to have a catastrophic engine failure?

Originally Posted by Cattman
Hi Folks,
As you know I experienced an unfortunate catastrophic engine failure due to the well-known IMS issue among the early '05 C2S vehicles. I was able to negotiate a new (with upgraded IMS) engine from my dealer for $12k plus estimated labor of $3k. Not bad, really.

A definite bummer. I loved the SC'd engine, and I now know that the SC had nothing to do with the failure, which is nice.

But the new engine is coming with a 2 year, unlimited mile warrantee, so putting the SC back on is not going to happen. I'll either sell the modified SC or wait until the new warrantee expires and install it again. It was sheerly amazing- nothing on the road was quicker!

So now I'll be driving a 58k mile car, but breaking in a new engine! Sounds like fun! Can't wait to get back behind the wheel- it's been two months...
CATTMAN

Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Thanks for the update, glad it was a happy ending albeit a lighter wallet, you still get to enjoy your Porsche.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:04 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 911cv
Taxi! -- can you elaborate on what you had performed?

Are these problems (IMS/RMS) prevalent in '07 997s?
By '07, Porsche was installing large IMS bearings, so it is not an issue.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:05 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Time to sell the SC?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Vancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the rough
Congratulations, glad to hear things are back on track. I look forward to hearing more.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Cat...really happy for you!

So you can't really play with the engine other than a nice sound set of mufflers....well there is more to do...start playing with the suspension and brakes...get out and enjoy a DE. You can still have fun with 355hp!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:54 PM
PKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura aboutPKing Fast has a spectacular aura about
----

Last edited by PKing Fast; 10-09-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 AM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Glad you're back. Keep the sc kit until the warranty runs out. Then put it back on. You have one of the few modified sc kit that is better than what came originally. Don't sell it.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:37 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Congrats on moving forward.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm Back: new engine going in...