997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dumb to Buy New 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:36 PM
REK125 is a jewel in the roughREK125 is a jewel in the roughREK125 is a jewel in the roughREK125 is a jewel in the rough
I just did the same thing 2 weeks ago. I traded in my GTR for a new 2011 Carrera S with every possible option including PDK, black painted wheels and Guards Red custom painted gauge faces. I was able to buy it for 15K under MSRP, thus saving over 20K over a comparably equipped 2012 model. Even if you think that the 2012 model is a significant improvement (and I do not), the savings is more than worth it.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:39 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Any concern with wanting to wait to see what bugs they may need work out of the 991?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:43 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by REK125
I just did the same thing 2 weeks ago. I traded in my GTR for a new 2011 Carrera S with every possible option including PDK, black painted wheels and Guards Red custom painted gauge faces. I was able to buy it for 15K under MSRP, thus saving over 20K over a comparably equipped 2012 model. Even if you think that the 2012 model is a significant improvement (and I do not), the savings is more than worth it.
Sounds like a sweet car! Sorry for the side questions off topic, but because I've thought about getting one,

What are your overall thoughts about the GTR? What is making you move to a C2S from a GTR?

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:06 AM
REK125 is a jewel in the roughREK125 is a jewel in the roughREK125 is a jewel in the roughREK125 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
Sounds like a sweet car! Sorry for the side questions off topic, but because I've thought about getting one,

What are your overall thoughts about the GTR? What is making you move to a C2S from a GTR?

Thanks!
I owned the GTR for over 3 years as my car was in the first batch that were delivered in the U.S. Mine had 540whp and 531wtq. I loved the fact that it was a beast and a sub 11 second car in the quarter. It was also a great car to track. People wanted to talk to me about it everywhere I went. However, I thought it was time for a change. It was not, imo, great as a daily driver. I had owned several 911s in the past and really wanted a more civilized road car. I do miss it but I do not regret making the change.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks! Sounds like the ride and the gear range made daily traffic more work than fun.

Anyone concerned about launch year bugs in the 991? I know there is a warranty, but who has the time to deal with problems?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:23 PM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
I will wait for 2013 model which is the 50th Anniversary anyway. Turbo and Convertible should be available too by then.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:20 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
Thanks! Sounds like the ride and the gear range made daily traffic more work than fun.

Anyone concerned about launch year bugs in the 991? I know there is a warranty, but who has the time to deal with problems?
+2. I'm going to wait for MY2 to procure my 991. Looks like I'm going from my C2S to a base 991 C2. PDK/SC/PSE/sun roof/oh noes it's Bose/ventilated seats sure add a lot to the price

Old 09-28-2011, 03:25 PM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
surfah...I priced out the 991 C2S I wanted and landed north of $121K!! Wow...expensive upgrades! That is almost 3x more than I just paid for my 06 C2 used!! I hope the stock market recovers in the next 2 years! I will need the gains to make up the difference. I may have to wait for lease returns.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:22 AM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, my 991 c2s priced out north of $120k too. $30k more than my loaded 07 c2s sticker. One option is to go used 991 but then you are waiting until 2014-15 possibly and you may not get the exact options you want. With the base I can keep it at $100k. Get the exact options I want.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Waxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Inglorious
I want add my .02 since I am in the same boat as you. I am a new car guy and almost bought a GTS because they gave me a fat discount. But at the end of the day, I waited for the 991, which I am so glad I did. It is a decision that I don't regret at all. I ended up really liking the new looks of the 991 and the performance improvements are astounding since the 991s laps the n'ring in 7:40!

If I were you, I'd just wait. There will be big discounts on the horizon very very soon on the 997. And if they sell out of whatever you want, think of it as a sign from the universe to get a 991. Win win situation.
Well all I can say is I've had 911's for over 12 years going back to the first 996 to the 997.1, 997 Targa, 997.2, 997.2S 997.2 C4S with PDK. I know many have had Porsches much longer but I can and will say the GTS is by far and away the best 911 I've had. It is the most engaging and purest Porsche short of the dedicated GT Porsches. It is an awesome Porsche. I find myself finding excuses to go somewhere just to drive it.

We are convinced (me, myself and I) that the 997GTS will be a very desireable 911 in years to come. Its just that good and produced in far less numbers then the standard 997.2 and S.

I'm sure the 991 will be a great car and there will be a bump in performance...but I don't buy the 7:40 Ring time for a 991S. No way. 15 more hp and longer wheel base and wider track puts it in same league as a 997GT3 and 997 Turbo? Sorry. I'll wait for more independent test times to come out. Not drinking that Koolaide.

Last edited by Waxer; 09-29-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Waxer
Well all I can say is I've had 911's for over 12 years going back to the first 996 to the 997.1, 997 Targa, 997.2, 997.2S 997.2 C4S with PDK. I know many have had Porsches much longer but I can and will say the GTS is by far and away the best 911 I've had. It is the most engaging and purest Porsche short of the dedicated GT Porsches. It is an awesome Porsche. I find myself finding excuses to go somewhere just to drive it.

We are convinced (me, myself and I) that the 997GTS will be a very desireable 911 in years to come. Its just that good and produced in far less numbers then the standard 997.2 and S.

I'm sure the 991 will be a great car and there will be a bump in performance...but I don't buy the 7:40 Ring time for a 991S. No way. 15 more hp and longer wheel base and wider track puts it in same league as a 997GT3 and 997 Turbo? Sorry. I'll wait for more independent test times to come out. Not drinking that Koolaide.
Don't get me wrong. I think the GTS is a beautiful car, which is why I almost pulled the trigger. I liked that the GTS had LSD, which was impossible to find on a carrera s. And the GTS has more hp than the 991. At the end of the day, I wanted the 991 more.

And if I were looking for value, I wouldn't be shopping for a porsche (I'd probably buy a m3 sedan for 55k and do Euro Delivery for even more savings. Great value!). For me personally, the savings did not outweight having a new shiny 991. I'd love to save a buck, but I'd be losing more because I would have traded it in and taken a bath on the trade-in value. But again, that just works for me and not for everyone else.

Lastly, I do buy that all the technology related wizardry shaved off 13 seconds. I do think porsche specifically gave a more conservative estimate so it doesn't creep on the gt3 on the n'ring and canabalize sales. That is just the cynnicism within me that makes me question the 991 time too but in the opposite direction of where Waxer is speculating.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Vancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the rough
The new 991 is ~ 3% faster than a similarly equipped 997.2 in the hands of an expert. Buy the car you like, and enjoy it now, time is a ticking away.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:31 PM
stockid will become famous soon enoughstockid will become famous soon enough
I am going to wait for the 991.2.8.7. I will get a car 8 years and six months and 20 days from now because the model I want will be like 20-30 grand.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Eh, I don't mind waiting. I don't want take a bath on the trade in value. I'd rather stay stinky and smelly.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
I heard from a good source that not all build slots are full as we speak, obviously dealers will have to give specs at a given time but so far there are plenty of 991 build slots open...

I don't think the 991 is going to start as strong as expected, just look at the 997 Speedster, I see a couple here and there still at the stealerships

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dumb to Buy New 997?