997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dension BTA1500 bluetooth & Iphone 4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Tito_gsx is on a distinguished road
Dension BTA1500 bluetooth & Iphone 4

Hey guys,
Just installed Dension Gateway 500 & BTA 1500, having difficulties getting BTA to work with my Iphone 4.

I've searched on this topic but nothing that solves my problem. Eric at bumperplugs is assisting, I first need to check if a non-iphones will work. But first wanted to know if anyone had same issues as me.

I have 06 C2S with PCM 2.1.

I updated to latest firmware, and used BTA volume patch to correct volume issues.

Problems:
- For some reason, phone will play music different to the pcm. I have to disconnect bluetooth to stop my iphone from playing.
- when I make outgoing calls (have to be from iphone), the pcm wont recognize call most of the time (I.e. phone shows bluetooth connection but no ringing from iphone or BTA, almost like the call goes blank but still showing that its calling). When I reset PCM, the outgoing calls work sometimes (using BTA).
- on the time that BTA did work, when the call ended, the PCM did not switch from BT back to my ipod music. Essentially, my car speakers became blank so I had to manually switch source back to ipod via pcm controls.
- address book still not synced and cannot make calls through pcm (must be through iphone).

Anybody else experience this? I can't be the only one using Iphone 4 and BTA. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Old 09-27-2011, 07:35 PM
IvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to behold
I have some question, but your experience is pretty different from mine, (mine worked nearly perfectly from the start).

1} what firmware is the BTA, (its on the sticker of the BTA, is it firmware 1.5?)

2} Which Dension do you have, (is it a gateway 500)? If Yes, what firmware did you update to, I did firmware 2.22. How do you know it worked, (updated?) for example Dension mentions it will write a file on the USB with the version number but mine never does that. I had to use an old iPod 20Gig (the old-school white ipods) to see what the version number was.

3} When you say the BTA would stream music different from the PCM, what did you mean? One thing different about our setups is I always had the audio streaming occurring so it was always playing sound, maybe the audio profile hasn't started on yours until you answer the call (ie: you do not hear any ringing?) because you are not playing music? If you play music and someone calls, does it work better? (this is more of a test)

4} on the PCM\Tel, when you go to phonebook what do you see? Do you see nothing? If you see something like ABC move the selector to ABC and then hit the "phone" button on the PCM, it should then open up the ABC group, (assuming you see anything).

5} on the iphone in settings\general\bluetooth\dension if you hit the arrow is sync contacts on/phone favorites, etc. What groups in other, (it should be all).

6} what firmware is the iphone? Is it jailbroken? If yes, do you have any other bluetooth stacks installed? (or anything that might mess with bluetooth?)

Assuming nothing is working, testing another phone would help rule out that either the BTA or Dension are defective? If all seems well with other devices, you might want to "consider" a reformat of the iphone?

Alternately, if you are keen, you might want to consider a iOS5 Beta7 (using sn0wbreeze) I hear the bluetooth in iOS5 is supposed to be much friendlier. Mind you sn0wbreeze is a tethered jailbreak, so you really have to weight that option carefully!) (I myself don't do it because of that).

Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Tito_gsx is on a distinguished road
Thanks Ivan for you input, you've given me ideas on how to troubleshoot.

Answers to you q's
1. BTA, didn't realize that BTA showed firmware, will check tonight. I assume it should be latest as I just purchased from bumperplugs.
2. Dension GW 500, just recently updated to f/w 2.22. This should be done correctly since Dension replaced f/w file with bin on completion of update
3. When BTA is streaming music, it is actually bluetoothing music from my Iphone. So I had my Iphone music playing from the phone and PCM playing music from USB. This is before I updated f/w so I'll assume its an outlier.
4. On PCM/Tel, PCM says "insert SIM card". I have gotten this message from the start, might have something to do with BTA f/w version. will report back.
5. Iphone setting: Yes all are checked off.
6. Iphone 4.3.3. not jailbroken. I have no other BT's stacks in phone

Will test non iphone and report back, again thanks for feedback

Old 09-28-2011, 01:23 PM
IvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to behold
3} "So I had my Iphone music playing from the phone and PCM playing music from USB" ... so was the iPhone play music via its speaker or was it via the PCM as well, and if that was the case, was the music "mixed" together with the USB music? , (so the car speakers were overlaying both BT stream and USB music?) If yes, if its an option, can you remove USB music and have a BT stream occurring and receive a call and see if you hear that ringing? (more just trying to isolate what is happening than a permanent solution)

4} this one is troubling? The BTA should act like the internal phone to the PCM, so I think this is your root problem/or a significant factor? If you can, maybe you can reset the Dension to have it re-learn / re-tell the system what is available? I don't believe you have to use the Porsche tool (PWSI(?)) to enable your system for internal phone, I thought the BTA/Dension were able to do that automatically?

5. "Iphone setting: Yes all are checked off." -- I think you mean all are checked ON? If they are off, turn them on!