997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Oil Level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 12:44 PM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for your valuable input guys.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:45 PM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
But, why would the oil level drop like this?
Pardon my ignorance, but do these cars burn a certain amount of oil? Do i need to have the car checked for any leaks? My garage floor has nothing on it.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:59 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by sameerg
But, why would the oil level drop like this?
Pardon my ignorance, but do these cars burn a certain amount of oil? Do i need to have the car checked for any leaks? My garage floor has nothing on it.
I used to watch mine every day when I first had the car and it varied a tick or so even within a day - seemed like it could be from different engine heat, if I switched the engine off and back on, kind of random really. Now I don't worry about it - just if it gets near the lower mark, I'll add 1/2 qt and go from there.

If you saw big changes or a sudden continous loss, then worry.

The cars can appear to burn oil if the oil has moisture in it or they can simply burn oil - some of them burn a fair amount and others not so much. Mine seems to be burning less as it gets more mileage (~11K now). PAG says it is normal - even specifies a relatively "high" normal amount in the Owner's Manual.

Don't worry about it too much - enjoy the car - keep an eye on the battery though if you drive short trips and/or infrequently.