997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

UK article - don't think she likes the 911....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:02 AM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Aren't the Brits the authors of Lucas Electrics..?.. "Get home before dark!"

Old 11-30-2011, 12:53 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
It's been awhile since I've driven a Cayman, but my impression was that it felt like a toy. A fun toy, but less substantial than I needed from a 70k car. When I drove the 911 it felt very substantial, not something that would only be fun on the track, but that could also be enjoyed for daily tasks.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:03 PM
scrappyca is on a distinguished road
Sounds like...

After reading this article, I have to say that being insanely jealous of a car you can't handle is a horrible affliction. She needs to get help.

I recommend a monthly bus-pass and lots more fiber in her diet.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:18 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I guess I'm one of the few that agree...

(except for the cramped ****pit - I have had no problem in any iteration of the 911)

But I prefer the Cayman S handling/balance to the 911. Perhaps it's just my driving style.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:20 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Well to each their own. But I am 6'3" and significantly closer to 300 than 200lbs and the 997 is one of the only sports cars I fit in comfortably. In a Ferrari 575 Superamerica, I feel like 10lbs of sausage in a 5lb sack. I wish I could fit in more cars. But I do know I don't fit in a Cayman and I think they are beautiful cars. Oh, the R8 she mentions is only 44,000 British pounds more...

Old 11-30-2011, 05:46 PM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
To each......

Funny thing about that article -
My wife isn't so much of a 'car gal'. She was pretty set on an Audi S5, but the dealer couldn't get it together enough to get a decent coupe on the lot for her to drive.
We're standing on the Audi lot as a 997.1 cab drove through.
She said 'That is gorgeous. Maybe I should drive one again.'
Walked next door, drove a 997.2 Targa, and she couldn't stop smiling.
Walked out with it.
I think she loves the thing more than me.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:58 AM
paddyh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TomE
I think she loves the thing more than me.
So what don't you like about the 997.2 Targa?

Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 AM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by paddyh
So what don't you like about the 997.2 Targa?
OK, that was pretty damn funny.
Cheers!

Old 12-02-2011, 04:24 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Originally Posted by Manifold
Interesting ... my wife and I were sharing our 911S cab, but I decided I didn't want to share it anymore, so she picked a Cayman R as her DD (and my track car). She much prefers the way the Cayman drives, though she likes the 911 too. I still prefer the 911, but time will tell if that changes.

Maybe we could say the 911 is more "challenging" but not everyone is up for the challenge.
I love my GT3, but I have to say that I am jealous of your Cayman R. I drove one and loved the handling of it. It does have good balance. If they made the car with a bit more HP and torque, it would be a monster to contend with.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:02 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ScooterP
I love my GT3, but I have to say that I am jealous of your Cayman R. I drove one and loved the handling of it. It does have good balance. If they made the car with a bit more HP and torque, it would be a monster to contend with.
+1.

Love the Cayman. Anybody care to give a logical explanation why there is not any more power?

All I can think of is marketing to not outsell the 911, but that just sounds stupid.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ScooterP
If it makes you feel any better, I'm jealous of your GT3 . Still one of my dream cars, and something I hope to work up to after more track experience.

Though I need to spend more time with the CR, I still can't decide whether I like the 911 or CR better. The CR inspires confidence and is a blast when driven (very) fast, but the 911 seems to communicate its load transfer more and I find it more engaging at less extreme speeds. But both are great cars for sure.

I agree that the CR could go ballistic if they cranked up the power and torque.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
+1.

Love the Cayman. Anybody care to give a logical explanation why there is not any more power?

All I can think of is marketing to not outsell the 911, but that just sounds stupid.
I think that's the reason. I bet their profit margin on the 911 is considerably higher than the Cayman, so it makes business sense to muzzle the Cayman. It's sort of the neglected middle child between the Boxster and 911.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Manifold
I think that's the reason. I bet their profit margin on the 911 is considerably higher than the Cayman, so it makes business sense to muzzle the Cayman. It's sort of the neglected middle child between the Boxster and 911.
Well, they are losing a possible sale on me. I'm convinced that the Cayman feels a whole lot better to drive than a 911 (I've tested just about ever variant). But between the C2S and the Cayman S, if the Cayman had more power, I'd be all over it. I think this is the retarded logic that is keeping me away.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:11 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Well, they are losing a possible sale on me. I'm convinced that the Cayman feels a whole lot better to drive than a 911 (I've tested just about ever variant). But between the C2S and the Cayman S, if the Cayman had more power, I'd be all over it. I think this is the retarded logic that is keeping me away.

So get one and supercharge it.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by mseligson
So get one and supercharge it.
I've contemplated that before. But I have F/I'd a few cars before that weren't F/I from the factory. There becomes a problem with warranty, and reliability just isn't the same (which is okay if you live 2 miles from the installer).