997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My Porsche experience, a look back on ~3 difficult years (long post)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 12:18 AM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by simsgw
Honestly, I think it's just more satisfying for the complainers than it is we happy customers who'd have to struggle upstream against the cynics.

Personally, we've found Porsche service to be exemplary at two different dealers in Southern California, and the stories I've heard suggest at least two or three others are just as good. Probably those and half a dozen others I don't hear about if I'm honest. Lots of Porsches in our area and you have to be good to compete when we can so easily drive down the freeway to alternatives.

The car itself has needed no work except the HPFP replacement. That was scheduled for an all-day job until I mentioned when signing in that Cindy got worried if I was away that long. The subject came up because they remembered us from the day we bought the car and asked how she was. After learning she was at home alone, they bumped me in the queue and had the car done in... memory fails. Three hours I think. Maybe four. While I waited, they loaned me a C4S Cab because I wanted to try a PDK. When I got tired of driving that around the local canyons, their driver took me to the local country club for lunch and came back to pick me up at my leisure.

Porsche customer service is just fine in our market. And the car's reliability is all I could ask of any car, let alone an exotic used as a daily driver.

Gary
Ok Gary, who's the dealer? Because mine failed!

Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 AM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gotnem108
Ok Gary, who's the dealer? Because mine failed!
We bought from Auto Gallery, and it was they who provided the PDK Cab for my diversion and carted me off to the country club for lunch. I also have used Walters Porsche in Riverside and they are quite nice as well. There, I arranged a reasonable run in a Spyder before settling down to read in their comfortable lounge area. Oh, and they drove me a dozen miles to a restaurant of my choice for breakfast.

Both have excellent mechanics as well, which is the real point of course.

Gary

Old 01-08-2012, 04:16 AM
nine11 is on a distinguished road
Under warranty the response from Porsche Germany was excellent, they backed all my claims. I had a vertical crack down the front windscreen (3months old). A couple of days back from Germany and it was replaced over night. Good considering it has a rain sensor. My soft top was changed out (2.5 year mark) without much effort when it appeared a bit saggy. There was an update with an extra support. I had a squeaking noise in the rear (1.5 yr mark), they changed out idler pulley without resistance. I really depends on the servicing team chase things up and how you treat them. Will I buy another? YES (GT3) for fun only. That being said I had no problems with my E class Merc from the time it left the showroom floor. I will definitely buy another E class only when they change the styling.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:27 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Every loaner car I have gotten from my dealer was either the MB C or E class, Cayenne, Cayman, or Panamera.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:10 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FlaHeel
I have owned 4 911'a - 87, 93cab, 97 and 08cab - and the 93 was basically a lemon. I had such a long list of issues in the 3 years I had the car that, after I wrote PCNA and the dealer highlighting my issues and disappointment with the car, Porsche and the dealer stood up and replaced the car, with a brand new 1997 993.
So, you had a NINETY THREE 993 and you got a brand new NINETY SEVEN 993 from Porsche??? With no contribution from you? Wow, you were one VERY VERY lucky guy. Remarkable. Never heard of anything like that. A repurchase, maybe.

I cited the issues I had with my car. Frankly, I think more had to do with a very customer friendly dealer and less to do with an unreliable car. I was always very satisfied that Porsche would go every step to satisfy me. Also, however, the cost of that service was generally more than I would pay. I just don't need that kind of service at that price. If you're under warranty though, it is well worth it because they will replace whatever you complain about.

On Enterprise, I believe they use them because Enterprise will rent cars "off premises". No one else will rent a car to you unless you go to the rental outlet. That gives car dealers a chance for customers to get a car right at the dealership. Hertz, Budget, etc. won't do that. Of course, they are a second tier rental outfit so the cars are what you would expect.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:12 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ShawnBoston
1. Aug 09: Stuttering/will not accelerate (HPFP replaced)
2. Oct 09: Hill Assist, air con, cooling fan not working (Short under pass seat repaired)
3. Nov 09: Check engine light (Replaced 02 sensors)
4. Feb 10: Rain sensor inoperable (Replaced rain sensor)
5. Apr 10: Top leaking (Replaced top seal)
6. May 10: Check engine light (Running rich, replaced sensors, tuned car)
7. May 10: Squeal on startup (Emergency trunk release motor replaced)
8. 2011: Horn not working (Horns replaced)
9. Jun 11: Coolant leak (Right radiator replaced)
10. Nov 11: PCM failure (Replaced PCM)
11. Nov 11: Rubber strip hanging over engine cover (Clamshell strip and brackets replaced)
some cars are just jinxed, I would get rid of it right after 6 may 10 visit. you`ve waited much longer than I would.
cars are just cars - tin bucket with wheels. some live longer, some not. porsche still makes damn good sport cars, but you were not in much luck, it happens.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Michael2364 will become famous soon enough
My buddy has owned 10 911's over the years. We purchased our CPO 06's together in 2008. Mine was a C2s with a factory Aero Cup with 14k miles and his was C4S cab with 8k miles. We bought them on the same day from the same dealer after a 9 month search. His car was a disaster. His car was in the shop at least once a month. AND to make matters worst he finds out that the car was in an accident so how could it even qualify as a CPO because the rear quarter and a door was replaced. Anyway, long story short, PNA did right by him. In the end the dealer gave him a direct trade with a new (09 at the time)Cayenne demo with 1k miles at the request of PNA because of his documented loyalty to the brand given that this was his 11th porsche product. (He always purchased new. This was his first and possibly last used porsche experience). You can argue they should of given him a 911 but he was very pleased with the outcome and I guess thats all that matters.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ryem3
So, you had a NINETY THREE 993 and you got a brand new NINETY SEVEN 993 from Porsche??? With no contribution from you? Wow, you were one VERY VERY lucky guy. Remarkable. Never heard of anything like that. A repurchase, maybe.
It was a 1993 964 and yes Porsche traded me the new 1997 993. Of course I still had to pay for the car but the payments remained the same and no money traded hands. Call it what you want, the course of action taken by Stead Motor Company and PCNA, endeared me to the marquis forever.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Hi guys, new to these boards. I guess what caught my eye was that I have the EXACT same car as the original poster LOL.

I bought it CPO used from my local dealer a few months ago with 5700 miles with 4 years 2 weeks and 94,300 miles left on the cpo warranty . Since then I had the HPFP replaced simply because it was on a known recall list, but the car had never had a breakdown because of it. I did some research and the HPFP was an issue on 09's and some 10's. It's a quick fix...well 4 hours or so, and once replaced there should be no issues. Incidentally I ALSO owned an BMW 135i 08. Every single N54 engine BMW made in 08 and 09 had the same HPFP problem and they are all being replaced <Just like Porsche> under warranty. Basically....stuff happens. You just deal with it and move on.

Other then that I have only had 1 other small issue with my car. I tiny squeek when the top comes up, which my dealer is going to fix next week. The car is a beast and is the best looking, best handling and driving car I have ever owned. I'm sorry that the original poster had these issues, but really nothing on his list would be considered "major" <like engine failure or tranny failure> other then the HPFP failure.

What was a major problem was the service he received. Waiting weeks for a minor repair is ridiculous and getting a crappy rental makes it worse. When they did my HPFP repair I was given a Grand Marque. Total boat car, but at least it was comfortable. Btw, it is possible to get the rear end out on a Grand Marque, just saying LOL.

Anyway, I hope he enjoys his X3.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:26 PM
doktordyper is an unknown quantity at this point
wow, this thread found some traction.

as per my garage history, i'm now on my 10th 911 starting w/ a 76' 3.0 carrera, now driving an 06 c4s x51 w/ factory aero kit. though have had what i always considered to my minor or comensurate w/ vehicles age and mileage issues, nothing compared with this owner's experience. this is especially unfortunate because it was your first exposure to the brand. just thought i'd chime in as a 10 car vetran w/ total brand satisfaction

Old 01-12-2012, 12:53 AM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Katera
Hi guys, new to these boards. I guess what caught my eye was that I have the EXACT same car as the original poster LOL. [...] Btw, it is possible to get the rear end out on a Grand Marque, just saying LOL.

Anyway, I hope he enjoys his X3.
Welcome aboard, Katera. I noticed yours is a particularly nice configuration of options as well.

As for that Grand Marque, not that I'd ever try that sort of thing, but purely for the scientific record I will confirm your observation. Also for the record, let it show that some cars can be got up onto two wheels without those wimpy ramps normally used in movie stunts. Just for the record.

Gary

Old 01-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
LOL Gary nice

Giving a Porsche owner a crappy renter when their car is in the shop is a bad idea in more ways then one

Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Katera
LOL Gary nice

Giving a Porsche owner a crappy renter when their car is in the shop is a bad idea in more ways then one
all MA dealers give crappy renters, unless may be you bought a turbo from them directly but even in this case there are no guarantees.
from my point of view if warranty work gets done fine and no stupid questions are asked and claim is not denied - i do not care, i want my car back fast with all issues resolved. if it takes to drive 'accent' or elantra from and back to dealer - who cares. dealer i go to also uses enterprise rental and you get usual korean/jap compacts from them.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:20 AM
raspritz will become famous soon enoughraspritz will become famous soon enough
This seems a justified rant about an apparent lemon, which occasionally happens in every automobile brand, until you get to this bit:

Originally Posted by ShawnBoston
I called PCNA and asked them to do whatever they could to expedite the repair...... They also credited me 1 month’s lease payment for the inconvenience.....
Apparently, this was a lease situation, not an ownership situation. If so, with respect, you did not own a Porsche. You rented a Porsche. That doesn't excuse the problem of your renting a lemon, but it does cast your situation in rather a different light.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by doktordyper
wow, this thread found some traction.

just thought i'd chime in as a 10 car vetran w/ total brand satisfaction
Love it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Porsche experience, a look back on ~3 difficult years (long post)