997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My Porsche experience, a look back on ~3 difficult years (long post)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:50 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Katera
Hi guys, new to these boards. I guess what caught my eye was that I have the EXACT same car as the original poster LOL.

I bought it CPO used from my local dealer a few months ago with 5700 miles with 4 years 2 weeks and 94,300 miles left on the cpo warranty . Since then I had the HPFP replaced simply because it was on a known recall list, but the car had never had a breakdown because of it. I did some research and the HPFP was an issue on 09's and some 10's. It's a quick fix...well 4 hours or so, and once replaced there should be no issues. Incidentally I ALSO owned an BMW 135i 08. Every single N54 engine BMW made in 08 and 09 had the same HPFP problem and they are all being replaced <Just like Porsche> under warranty. Basically....stuff happens. You just deal with it and move on.

Other then that I have only had 1 other small issue with my car. I tiny squeek when the top comes up, which my dealer is going to fix next week. The car is a beast and is the best looking, best handling and driving car I have ever owned. I'm sorry that the original poster had these issues, but really nothing on his list would be considered "major" <like engine failure or tranny failure> other then the HPFP failure.

What was a major problem was the service he received. Waiting weeks for a minor repair is ridiculous and getting a crappy rental makes it worse. When they did my HPFP repair I was given a Grand Marque. Total boat car, but at least it was comfortable. Btw, it is possible to get the rear end out on a Grand Marque, just saying LOL.

Anyway, I hope he enjoys his X3.
Had the same car with the same problem! I think the N54 HPFP issue was much more widespread than Porsche's.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:00 PM
ShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud of
I read about BMW having a bunch of HPFP problems and that keyed me in that it could be something similar with my car.

Ugh, Grand Marquee . . . that is worse than the Malibus and Dodge Charger I got stuck with.

The X3 is actually turning out to be a great 2nd car . . . taking a Vantage for an extended drive tomorrow, pretty likely I'll be going home with one soon.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 PM
AceRothstein415 is on a distinguished road
I see you are located in NorCal, what dealership did you use and why would they not give you a Porsche loaner during the time yours was in for repair. I had a bmw 330 a few years back that ended up having to be lemoned, during one occurrence it was in the shop for 10 weeks, and it being a convertible and summertime I was steaming, but during that whole time I had a bmw loaner, not one equivalent to mine but at least same caliber of vehicle. I got another bmw to replace it which was flawless and have recently replaced that with another. I will continue being a bmw owner until I am able to step up to a Porsche. I wish you luck in finding your next fun car, but should consider giving Porsche another chance down the road, you would have to have absolutely the worst luck to have this happen on another one.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 AM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
I think you should give the brand another chance, with another 997.2 DFI.

My 2009 has 30,000 miles on it, not all gentle (track time, etc) , has never burned a drop of oil, and never had any problems (although, personally, I wish my hillside assist WOULD fail - it feels weird to me).

My only beef to date has been the leaky coolant cap, which $20 fixed.

Note to file: with the exception of the HPFP factory replacement, all work has been done my my local indy, AtSpeed Motorsports in Hanover, MD

Old 02-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Sven has a spectacular aura aboutSven has a spectacular aura about
I haven't waded through the 5 pages of comments to see if anyone else brought up this possibility, but could it being an October '08 build have something to do with it? I.e., was it the combination of Oktoberfest and the teething pains of a hugely revised car?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
I think the Dealer was the problem. At one point you see 6 figures every couple years leaving and you say... NEW CAR TIME

Old 02-15-2012, 01:42 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
sorry to hear u had a terrible experience with Porsche..

Porsche's rep is pretty good in dependability area:

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/lexus-to...ndability.html

"Lexus owners reported 86 problems per 100 vehicles. Porsche, Cadillac, Toyota and Scion rounded out the top five. The worst performers were Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram and Jaguar. Chrysler owners reported 192 problems per 100 vehicles."

as you can see, all carmakers has to deal with little problems.. its how they deal with the problems that differentiates them. (see apple)

IMO, lot of your frustration was due to the awful service provided by that particular dealership.

in retrospect, the european delivery might have given u a totally different experience.. with good & lasting memories. c'est la vie

u r still relatively young, so try different makes.. but u will be back !

BOL !

btw IMHO, i feel direct fuel injection (DI) is the culprit for HPFP failure and carbon build up in the cylinders resulting in misfires and coil failure.

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 02-15-2012 at 01:45 PM.