997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

fix it ticket!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
[quote=denversteve;3461960]
Originally Posted by tejoe
Paying the fine doesn't require an inspection.
But it makes you susceptible to another fine for the same violation the next week, since it wasn't fixed, its likely still a violation. That could get expensive fast.

The modern cars actually clean the air in polluted cities like LA; their exhaust can be cleaner than the air that went into the airbox.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:24 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
[quote=Minok;3461998]
Originally Posted by denversteve

But it makes you susceptible to another fine for the same violation the next week, since it wasn't fixed, its likely still a violation. That could get expensive fast.

The modern cars actually clean the air in polluted cities like LA; their exhaust can be cleaner than the air that went into the airbox.
Agree totally. Easier in the long-run to make it legal. Avoids many issues, not the least of which is when the officer sees you the next time and doesn't give you the fix-it ticket because he wants to see you in court for the subsequent violation.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:16 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
The stock cats should never have been taken out. It's the law and our health.
your posts have been very helpful over the years but this is not correct; there is no Ca. law that mandates or even mentions 400 cell cats. Any replacement cat is acceptable if the car meets the emission requirements.
I do not know about 400 cel cats, but in CA cats are required. If the OP had replaced whatever cats PAG installs at the factory with less restrictive but legal cats I would not object. I am against cars which violate required emissions regs. And I do mean current stuff, not the silly upcoming CO2 nonsense (which has nothing to do with noxious pollution).

Old 02-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
So does this mean that the police in your neck of the woods ticket every motorcycle in town ? I have never been passed by a motocycle that didn't have louder mufflers than any Porsche on the road.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:07 PM
PorscheJoe will become famous soon enough
Now I'm having second thoughts about putting after market exhaust on my car, since I live in SoCal. I just wanted a little better sound than the factory exhaust Hope it all works out for you.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
your posts have been very helpful over the years but this is not correct; there is no Ca. law that mandates or even mentions 400 cell cats. Any replacement cat is acceptable if the car meets the emission requirements.
I do not believe "any replacement cat is acceptable." There are anti-tampering laws, so it must be listed here in order to be legal in CA:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

Old 02-20-2012, 10:01 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by runner1021
I'm curious how the cop determined the exhaust noise was excessive. Did he use any type of sound level metering equipment or simply feel it was louder than his own personal limits? Too bad they don't apply the same consideration to all the damn straight-pipe Harleys here in s.cal - unbelievably obnoxious.
+1!!!!

No sh$t!!! When I pull up at a red light next to a bike that clearly has no baffles, I feel like blaring my horn for the whole light so he can enjoy my noise as much as I enjoy his! Cops don't seem to ever mess with bikes.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:03 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PorscheJoe
Now I'm having second thoughts about putting after market exhaust on my car, since I live in SoCal. I just wanted a little better sound than the factory exhaust Hope it all works out for you.
I'm installing iPC Innotechs this week.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:32 AM
PorscheJoe will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
I'm installing iPC Innotechs this week.
I saw the thread that Campioni did for IPE Innotech Valvetronic. Very similar to Fabspeed Valvetronic and I believe both are made in Taiwan or China. I'm still doing research & trying to decide which way to go. I'm also considering Sharkwerks & FV. Pls. post some vids after you get the IPE installed. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 AM
I will post some video clips of the exhaust. I'm pretty stoked about it!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
This is why the 991 has the 'symposer'. Communities around the world object against loud exhausts, thus the symposer conveys engine sounds into the cabin. This assumes the driver wants to hear the engine for himself...

Last edited by adias; 02-21-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:40 PM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
Contemplating taking out the cats and muffler....maybe putting on lighter wheels to offset. I am also waiting for my tow hitch license plate holder. At least they didn't cite me for the plates or the car being too low. I live in a neighborhood where you see cops all day long leaving the neighborhood and on the nearby toll roads. They haven't bothered me till now. It's just not worth the ongoing hassle.

My extreme alternative is putting the car back to stock and selling it. Then, buying a used GT3 and keeping the exhaust stock.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:21 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
if u r concerned with passing the inspection, change out both the cat and the muffler (and hopefully u have the front plates hanging somewhere so u don't get another ticket..lol)

then u can just put back on the fabspeed muffler.. u will be in compliance and prob have no further problems.

i realize the cats offer better breathing for ur car then aftermarket muffler.. but its unsual to have stock mufflers with 200cell cats..

see post #11 in this thread:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-300-cell.html

ur fabspeed should be comparable to PSE in sound level.

btw, reducing unsprung weight with lighter wheels is a great idea.

bol

Old 03-22-2012, 07:50 PM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
It's a sad day....took the Maxflo Mufflers out to get fix it ticket signed off. I have decided not to put them back in. My car is "awkwardly" quiet! Not sure I like it! If you are interested, heres the link to the
Marketplace:https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3493727

Old 03-22-2012, 11:31 PM
Jay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to behold
Quick question....Did you have the option of paying the fine? How much was the fine going to be if you left the Maxflo mufflers on and cut a check to satisfy the ticket?

Very curious about that, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jay

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: fix it ticket!?