997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

fix it ticket!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:03 PM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
fix it ticket!?

I just got pulled over for excessive noise from my exhaust! The cop gave me a fix it ticket! I have to put the stock muffler and cats back on to get it signed off. What a hassle!

Old 02-18-2012, 12:08 PM
saint828 is on a distinguished road
If you decide to sell your exhaust system. Im interested..

Old 02-18-2012, 12:32 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
U could prob just put back on the stock cat and it should be ok to pass inspection.

Bol

Old 02-18-2012, 12:33 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Try putting your stock mufflers on, the Cats add most of the power. Your OEM mufflers will cut a lot of the excessive sound out. If that still isn't good enough the swap the cats.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:15 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Try putting your stock mufflers on, the Cats add most of the power. Your OEM mufflers will cut a lot of the excessive sound out. If that still isn't good enough the swap the cats.
this is the way to go...good luck

Old 02-18-2012, 11:52 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just pay the ticket?

Old 02-19-2012, 12:40 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
The stock cats should never have been taken out. It's the law and our health.

Lots of useless nanny regs, but that is not one of them. Compare the air we breathe today with the pollution over our cities in the early 70s... If one appreciates the difference and lives a healthy life becuase of it, one is not entitled to infringe it.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by BLKonBLK911C4S
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just pay the ticket?
No, it doesn't work that way. You fix it and still pay like $25 (10 years ago) for the inspection.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:19 AM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
I'm curious how the cop determined the exhaust noise was excessive. Did he use any type of sound level metering equipment or simply feel it was louder than his own personal limits? Too bad they don't apply the same consideration to all the damn straight-pipe Harleys here in s.cal - unbelievably obnoxious.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:44 PM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by runner1021
Too bad they don't apply the same consideration to all the damn straight-pipe Harleys here in s.cal - unbelievably obnoxious.
That is 100% ABSOLUTELY the truest thing ever posted here or anywhere else.
Bloody hell.

Go ripping through the downtown streets, in any city in the U.S., blasting straight-pipe loud - rattling windows and setting off car alarms for miles around at two o'clock in the morning .... as long as you're on two wheels you're some sort of Freedom Rider, all wrapped up in the flag in the name of individual liberty.

Drive to work (where you might very well provide actual jobs where people earn a living) wearing your seatbelt and minding your own business in a Porsche --- you're an automatic a**hat.

Go figure.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:42 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
What were the dB's on the ticket? Fabspeed's specs? Ca. requirements? You can buy a sound meter for $25 or get an Iphone app ( http://www.faberacoustical.com/produ...ne/soundmeter/ )

If you are in fact in non-compliance and you want to cheat, pull the tips and stuff some steel wool for a temporary reduction until you are okay'd.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:11 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
The stock cats should never have been taken out. It's the law and our health.

Lots of useless nanny regs, but that is not one of them. Compare the air we breathe today with the pollution over our cities in the early 70s... If one appreciates the difference and lives a healthy life becuase of it, one is not entitled to infringe it.
I rarely find myself agreeing with you on politics, but on this I agree. As a kid I remember not being allowed to play outside on the playground because of stage 1 smog alerts. Things are much better now and it is all because of California's strict emission controls, which thankfully have become industry standards.

To the OP: Yeah, it totally sucks when you break the law and get caught. Man up and QYB.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:41 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
[quote=adias;3460496]The stock cats should never have been taken out. It's the law and our health.

your posts have been very helpful over the years but this is not correct; there is no Ca. law that mandates or even mentions 400 cell cats. Any replacement cat is acceptable if the car meets the emission requirements.

Back to the OP; there is NO specific Ca. law on exhaust noise ( federal guideline is 80 dB ) so it is generally left to the officer's discretion and there are a couple of CHP publications you can look at. You must have pissed off the cop for some other reason.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I agree on the officer being irritated. But it may not have been you that initiated the problem. You might just have been on the receiving end.

Harleys - I used to go to Dayton for speed week. The Daytona police at that time had a small 'T' shaped device that they put up the tail pipe of any motorcycle they thought was too loud. If the long leg of the 'T' went all the way in it was an automatic ticket.

I had a Harley right on my tail a couple of weeks ago and I could hear it behind me! The guy was so close I couldn't see his front wheel. After about a minute of that I turned on the windshield washers and the Harley faded to the rear.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:37 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
[quote=tejoe;3461566]
Originally Posted by adias
Back to the OP; there is NO specific Ca. law on exhaust noise ( federal guideline is 80 dB ) so it is generally left to the officer's discretion and there are a couple of CHP publications you can look at. You must have pissed off the cop for some other reason.
Maybe, but none of that matters. It is against the law - especially in CA - to do ANY exhaust modification. Stock is the legal limit. I was there for years, and am a retired cop - and it is a $1,000 fine here in CO for any exhaust modification. Period. Noise limits, however, are municipal ordinances and he was probably written into city court. Paying the fine doesn't require an inspection.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: fix it ticket!?