997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sport Chrono.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Youyou is on a distinguished road
Sport Chrono.

So after giving up my 2007 C4S Cab in 2010 and then giving up my 993 C4S in 2011 i have decided to get a Porsche again.
I'm looking at 2 cars right now.
A 2007 C4S Coupe and a 2008 C4S Cabriolet.
The price of the Cab is extremely aggressive and it's got everything i can think of but.... Sport Chrono!
Now my 2007 4S Cab had the Sport Chrono and truthfully i never really used the Chrono.
And i don't really know what the actual package does or gives you besides being able to time yourself if your tracking the car or other.
I've searched a lot and haven't gotten a clear answer.
Can someone tell me exactly what i would lose if i don't have Sport Chrono.
Do i still get the Sport and Suspension button? And if i don't can i still play with that through the PCM?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Searching for stuff like this can be a pain since it's listed on every persons just bought a car post.

Aside from the lap timing and the wart.

Sport button does the following:
changes throttle pedal gains, so the pedal is more sensitive
puts PASM in sport mode
turns on sport exhaust if you have it.
PSM nanny steps in later when you get in trouble.

All S models have PASM, so a model without SC will have a suspension button to turn sport PASM on. If you have PSE you'll also have a PSE button. SC also allows you to change some preferences like how long internal lights stay on and I think some of the display stuff in the dash. You can add the SC button minus the wart later if you really, really want it. And it's about $1000.

Caveat emptor... My car does not have SC and I have no desire for it.

Last edited by mattyf; 03-25-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Youyou is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mattyf
Searching for stuff like this can be a pain since it's listed on every persons just bought a car post.

Aside from the lap timing and the wart.

Sport button does the following:
changes throttle pedal gains, so the pedal is more sensitive
puts PASM in sport mode
turns on sport exhaust if you have it.
PSM nanny comes in later when you get in trouble.

All S models have PASM, so a model without SC will have a suspension button to turn sport PASM on. If you have PSE you'll also have a PSE button. SC also allows you to change some preferences like how long internal lights stay on and I think some of the display stuff in the dash. You can add the SC button minus the wart later if you really, really want it. And it's about $1000.

Caveat emptor... My car does not have SC and I have no desire for it.

Thank you very much for your quick reply!
As you said when searching Sport Chrono i get pages and pages of irrelevant threads...

Ok so let me get this straight , since it's an S i would get most of what Sport Chrono gives me but i just don't get the Wart?
As you said i get the Suspension button but i don't get the Sport button right?
Like you said that's something i can add later on if i wanted to?
Thanks again!

Old 03-25-2012, 11:18 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Youyou
Thank you very much for your quick reply!
As you said when searching Sport Chrono i get pages and pages of irrelevant threads...

Ok so let me get this straight , since it's an S i would get most of what Sport Chrono gives me but i just don't get the Wart?
As you said i get the Suspension button but i don't get the Sport button right?
Like you said that's something i can add later on if i wanted to?
Thanks again!
Yep that's pretty much it. No wart, no throttle pedal remap, no interior options like how long the light stay on, no "sport" button. And yes if you have an S you'll have the sport PASM button (it looks like a shock absorber) which in addition to stiffening up the ride will tell the nanny to step in later as well, and you'll have the PSM button too, if you want to turn the nanny off completely.

And some of us actually prefer the look of the dash without the timer up there. When I say you can add it later, you can add the button and the features, but no wart.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:22 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
SC is not a deal breaker by any means.

If you like the car and pip is good..go for it....good luck

Old 03-25-2012, 11:44 AM
Sharkys will become famous soon enough
Good responses so far. For me, I'm NOT a fan of the overly sensitive throttle response. But I do like that way Sports Chrono changes the from soft to hard rev limit (I am not saying SC increases the rev limit, because it doesn't). Intake noise changes a bit as well - some like it some don't. I use the wart to time my commute since I don't track this car. Too bad Porsche didn't offer the hard rev limit WITHOUT the increased throttle sensitivity, but I understand this can be changed via flash? However, I don't mod my cars so I just assume to love it 100% stock. I still wish for an pre or early 70's 911. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 PM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
Not relevant for your year but on a 2009+ with pdk sc also changes the shifting behavior of the pdk setup and allows for launch control. (If I remember correctly)

Old 03-25-2012, 02:51 PM
CHIrosche can only hope to improve
I like the ecu remap of the sc and think it is very enjoyable ...

Old 03-25-2012, 04:26 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CHIrosche
I like the ecu remap of the sc and think it is very enjoyable ...
Don't believe the ecu is remapped, just the throttle pedal positioning - here's what happens:

A modified throttle map relates the pedal angle in the footwell to a much wider angle of opening on the throttle valve. Throttle response is significantly more immediate, and, in the higher gears, a hard rev-limiter helps protect the engine under acceleration.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:41 PM
blazinginder is on a distinguished road
I just picked up an 09 C4S PDK with the sport chrono and am so glad I did purely because what others have stated already but also because it allows for more exciting driving/engine revs at the touch of a button. Granted this can be done also by manually shifting, but not something I'd prefer doing. At the end of the day, each his own...no such thing as a 100% perfect car.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:15 PM
SToronto will become famous soon enough
I quite enjoy Sports Chrono, haven't used the timing functionality yet and hope to in a few months on the track.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 AM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
All i know about SC, from another forum, is that is a must for the Turbo version only, not only for better performance but for resale value also

Old 03-26-2012, 07:09 AM
kes7u will become famous soon enough
Personally, I REALLY like the throttle re-map that occurs with the Sport Chrono and my 6MT. For me, it would be a must-have for future purchase!

Kevin