997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Parking brake in garage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:04 AM
kes7u will become famous soon enough
Parking brake in garage?

I am one who has never used the parking brake in my garage. I leave the car in 1st gear, turn it off, and the car doesn't move. I went out to the garage this morning, to find that the car was REALLY close to the garage door. I couldn't believe that I had only left myself what appeared to be an inch between the rear bumper and garage door. I went closer, and realized that the metal slat on the garage door was up against the bumperettes!! I then realized that I had forgotten to leave the car in gear, and it had rolled back into the door. I pushed the car forward and applied the parking brake. TINY, un-noticeable dents in the bumperettes from the metal slat. Better that then anywhere else I suppose.

Lesson learned? Should I use the parking brake from now on, or simply remember to leave the car in gear??

Kevin

Old 03-26-2012, 07:44 AM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
I would say leave it in gear if it was below Zero in the garage so the calipers wouldnt freeze on the rotors but why not just pull the E-break? Pull it up enough i never yank the ebrake to the last 2 clicks unless its parked on a hill.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:49 AM
mjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the rough
I use the parking brake in the garage throughout the year. Gently applied...not to the last click.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Always apply PB and put the car in gear out of habit, in or out of the garage.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:29 AM
frontside720 will become famous soon enoughfrontside720 will become famous soon enough
I use both but don't pull the brake to hard.

I'm in Toronto and my garage isn't heated but it's never below zero in there.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carrera997re
I would say leave it in gear if it was below Zero in the garage so the calipers wouldnt freeze on the rotors but why not just pull the E-break? Pull it up enough i never yank the ebrake to the last 2 clicks unless its parked on a hill.
I don't think the e-brake has anything to do with the calipers and rotors.

I seldom use the e-brake in the garage, but use it elsewhere when parked on any incline.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 AM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
The hand brake / parking brake is a small drum brake contained in the center hub of the rear brake discs. It has a set of small shoe brake pads within the hub. It has absolutely nothing to do with the caliper as it is a completely separate system.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 AM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Strange on a previous car of mine i had pulled the ebrake in the dead of winter and the caliper was stuck and didnt release for while maybe the cable was friged up. Sorry for the false info.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:54 AM
modlin is on a distinguished road
gear in
pb on unless came off driving in the rain or washed the car
m.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:15 PM
b2sc is on a distinguished road
I for one rarely use the PB when in my garage. I drive into the garage in geaar, and shut it down in gear. (famous last words until MY car rolls into the door, right?)

Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 PM
ecostellodo is on a distinguished road
I always put the car in gear and use the parking brake. And on a hill, if the curb is low enough, I turn the wheels into it.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:22 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I always leave it in gear when I park. I don't trust the PB. I don't understand why there even is a parking brake...

Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 PM
My car rolled back when i pulled it halfway at the gas pump lucky i wasent filling yet yikes!!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 AM
home7271 is infamous around these parts
Years ago, I had this happened to me. I had just parked my car and the space was on a not so gentle slope. Pulled the parking brake, got out, locked the car and started walking away. A moment later, my car's alarm went off. I turned around and to my amazement, my car actually rolled back about a full length of the car. It only stopped because the area behind the car was pretty level.

This was not on a curb side where you could turn the wheel and wedge it against the curb.

Lucky it did not hit any thing. The alarm went off because it had some kind of a level sensor. If the alarm did not work, I would have continued to walk away and never knew my car was in the middle of the parking lot!

I was shocked! I thought I pulled the parking brake pretty hard. After that, I would never trust the parking brake alone. Always put it in gear!

Mike

Last edited by home7271; 03-27-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:56 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dadio
Always apply PB and put the car in gear out of habit, in or out of the garage.
Very good habit to get into!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Parking brake in garage?