997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anyone Considered XKR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:57 AM
SToronto will become famous soon enough
I am sure the XKR is nice, personally wouldn't even look at one if it required my money. I think for the simple reason is that I view Jags as an older person's car, stately if you will. I do like the way some of them look and drive for an elegant but sporty feel, but just wouldn't own one, I don't consider them a driver's car. My dad has owned 5+ Jags and still does. I did like his XJR, but then again I was 17.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:09 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
I think the XKR is pretty, but yes I also believe it's a car for 50s or older. However, I did look at a similar car (Maserati Granturismo Spyder). I was concerned with the reliability and cost to repair since the one I was looking at had just one year left of warranty. Everyone I know that has owned a Jag has never bought a second one. They break a lot.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:25 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
To the OP: The XKR is a GT, in line with Aston and M6. The GT3 is a track-ready sports car. Different things.

If I was thinking Porsche in your GT lineup, I would consider 991, and that would still have better sports performance.

P.S. - I just saw that your decision is made. Congratulations and enjoy your car!

Last edited by adias; 04-01-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:51 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
guys..the choice has been made...why not congratulate the OP and wish him well...

Old 04-01-2012, 01:36 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Evoking
My mind IS made up. I signed the papers and Fedex'd them back. Will fly to pick it up Weds. I just had a last min scramble to see if there was some other car I might want. Stuck with the XKR.

Vantage rode like crap and was slow compared to XKR. XKR is also more durable. It is the most reliable Jag right now and is one of the best kept secrets!
Congratulations!! I hope it's an awesome car! Repost to this thread periodically and give updates on how you feel about the car!

Old 04-01-2012, 02:31 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SToronto
I am sure the XKR is nice, personally wouldn't even look at one if it required my money. I think for the simple reason is that I view Jags as an older person's car, stately if you will. I do like the way some of them look and drive for an elegant but sporty feel, but just wouldn't own one, I don't consider them a driver's car. My dad has owned 5+ Jags and still does. I did like his XJR, but then again I was 17.
It's obvious a lot of people still view the Jag brand as an old persons car. Heck, I used to think similarly until the 07 XK and the XF. The main reason for feeling this way was the XJ staying basically the same shape over 20 years. Now that it has evolved, along with the afore mentioned others my opinion changed.
The XK is a great blend of luxury cruizer and sport coupe. Put your foot in it and feel it transform.
I'm not gonna try to convince anyone. I'd rather not see a thousand of them on the road anyway....but if you haven't tried one, you don't know.
I would put the XKR-S up against anything. That thing is a beast.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Thanks everyone. I will post pics and report back. Ice350, I'm with you... I kinda like that folks still think Jags are for old people as it keeps the masses from buying the and then they're coming and going like BMW and Porsche's.

I first got hip to the "New Jag" about 4 years ago when I had an 03' XJR as a daily biz beater. I liked the old classic styling and the 400hp was like a sledgehammer in a velvet glove. BUT - that car was till very old school. I got it for the looks and bang for buck but it wasn't a true drivers car. So one day the car was in for service and I was given an XF as a loaner when they first came out. I was BLOWN away. It rode, steered, braked and handled better than my previous BMW's (3 series and 7 series). The struck a perfect balance with that car. If you see most of the comparos it beats the staple midsized luxury cars from Germany; plus it looks the best save the new E who's styling is polarizing enough to wear well on the E for a while.

The 07+ XK too was a fresh design and a monumental leap forward for Jag. It is one of the best kept secrets. The instant torque, great sounding exhaust, rigid chassis make it perfect for modding with exhaust, suspension and wheels and making the edge a bit harder. It will be a fun car for sure. The fact that it will look so dang good yet have such an "old person" perception is part of the fun to me. I rather like being a part of resetting peoples expectations and watching their minds broaden!

Here are some pics of past rides

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/291976/2007-bmw-m

Last edited by Evoking; 04-01-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Forgot a link
Old 04-01-2012, 04:52 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Evoking
Here are some pics of past rides

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/291976/2007-bmw-m
What's the expression? The one with the most toys wins? Holy crap dude, you win.

PS - congrats on the new ride. I owned an XJ when I was duty stationed in England. The country roads were never EVER made for a car that size. Ex wife was getting wing mirrors clipped monthly. My VW GTi was much more suitable.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:38 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Hopefully you got the XKR-S version...

Old 04-01-2012, 06:08 PM
SToronto will become famous soon enough
Congrats on your purchase!

Who care's what others think, get what you enjoy and I see that you have.

I do like the acceleration and growl of my dad's XK. I actually prefer the older styling of the XJs.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:17 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
What do you expect...it's a Porsche sub forum :-)

Regardless, congrats!

Old 04-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
I too absolutely loved the styling of the last XK. Seems like a classic design. The new one I'm getting is definitely modern expression of aggressive GT and a much better platform however. So I've had to grow away from the last one if I wanted a better performer.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:08 AM
JayJ will become famous soon enough
Jaguar's reputation for quality or lack thereof is still their biggest issue to overcome, but as an owner of a 2005 XJR with over 70k miles the car has been flawless. Far, far better than any BMW I've owned, I haven't had a single repair just scheduled maintenance. Both of my brothers have Jag's around 100k miles say the same thing.

I also have a 997.1, the 8th Porsche I've owned over the years and it has been awesome too. Very diffferent from a Jag XKR, more of a GT but that's what it's supposed to be.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 AM
Thought some of you might like this... The 175 is slightly softer than my modded XKR will be with springs, exhaust, pulley and wheels.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:38 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool vid, I've viewed it several times.

Evoking, seems like you're still trying to get people to like it....to validate your choice perhaps?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone Considered XKR?