997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anyone Considered XKR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:37 AM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Anyone Considered XKR?

So I've been shopping for a new toy for a while now. I was looking at M6, GT3, Vantage and XKR. I almost got a GT3 but backed out of the deal.

I ended up disqualifying the M6 because although it is a fabulous car with an incredible engine I've never too much cared for the rear-end. The Vantage had a terrible ride except for the 11' which is more than I want to spend. Also for the $80k budget it would be an 08' so out of warranty.

Then I drove an 11' XKR... Wow, that car is a beast. You can definitely tell it has 510hp and 461 lb-ft torque. It also has that classic coupe shape with aggressive rear haunches like a crouching cat. From the rear the fenders and highly flat hatch definitely has presence. Great organic shape that will only be more nasty lowered on some nice wheels.

So... I'm about to pull the trigger on a black 11' XKR. Then I noticed the same dealer happens to have an 11' 911S in white for about the same price but the 911 has 12k miles whereas the XKR has 1k and would be a new car (so I get to go to the "R" Academy etc). I began to consider this 911S. I've always thought dark colors accentuate the 911 best but the white is clean. But I'm digressing. Comparing these two here are my thoughts:

Rarity:
XKR. Likely a ratio of 1 to 15 at least. Do a search for 2010+ XKR vs 2010+ 911. Even the plain XK is more rare

Driver Involvement:
911. 6speed, lower, lighter, steering firmer etc. XKR paddle shift trans while not sequential is an awesome tranny and has rec'd lots of praise.

Sound:
XKR. If you've never heard one with an exhaust you need to

Looks:
XKR by a nose. Stock for stock the XKR seems to have more presence. But a lowered 911 with those fenders fights back. But the XKR's long wide presence squatting on wheels will be nasty as well.

Power:
XKR. Torque everywhere

Practicality
911. I think the back seats might be bigger on 911 and could even fit a child seat? In case we end up having a brat. Also gets better gas mileage

Luxury
XKR

Modability
XKR by a nose. 911 definitely has a larger aftermarket. However, the supercharged XKR only needs a pulley, ECU, exhaust to add another 100hp to already super potent 510hp. Takes much more to add power to 911 but you do have a larger aftermarket

Resale
Tie. Normally it is 911 particularly from new. In this case the XKR has already taken the hit yet it is technically still a new car. Also the 10'+ cars will hold even stronger than the older cars due to the new gen motor and increased rarity.

Seems based upon my personal opinions the XKR has the higher score. But driver involvement and practicality are no trivial areas...

So what are your thoughts? Particularly you .2 S owners?

Last edited by Evoking; 03-31-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:50 AM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
I was rcently out shopping for an XKR, was thinking of switching out my G.
What a noise!!!!!!!!

The only thing i did not like was the quality of materials used inside of the car - Like the ashtray and cup holder covers are sooooo plasticky But, i would ignore those. I would not choose an XKR over the 911 though.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
The cupholders yes. But the full leather dash, stitching, alcantara headliner etc bring the interior up a few notches. I think overall the XK's interior is more luxurious and higher overall quality than 911.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:58 AM
Oh, I forgot to add that the XKR has 5 years of all maintenance as well.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:03 AM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Evoking
The cupholders yes. But the full leather dash, stitching, alcantara headliner etc bring the interior up a few notches. I think overall the XK's interior is more luxurious and higher overall quality than 911.

Oh Yeah, Do not get me wrong.
The interior is a gorgeous place to be in. The whole car is just Whoaa !!

What i meant to say is, i would not compare the XKR to my 911.

I always want a 911 in my life.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I've never owned a "Jag". They have always been beautiful cars, my concern would be reliability and resale. I'm hopeful Tata turns the reliability issue around, but who knows? If it was up to a Jag, I'd look at a used Maserati Quattroporte because of the Ferrari engine. You definately have the luxury. They depreciate like rocks and I would guess have a similar maintenance burden as the Jag, but in the end you have a Ferrari engine under the hood, and that sounds pretty wonderful.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:26 AM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
You forgot some major magor catergories I think
Fun To Drive 911
Handling and Brakes 911
Steering 911
I can see why you would want the XKR as well but for me the deciding factor is the transmission. I cant own an automatic car (DSG/F1 maybe) so for me the choice is simple. I look at the XKR as more of a GT cruiser car for everyday after owning a sports car like a 911. I dont have the means for either but that is just my opinion and what I would do if it is my money. The value of the R's are very hard to beat especially with its rarity as well. Bottom line is you cant go wrong and will have a fine car in either of them. Best of luck and post pics when you decide.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:26 AM
I too wondered about reliability. Interestingly Jag has ranked quite high on JD Powers quality/reliability over the last like 6-7 years. The old reliability perception takes a while to go away. The issue with the Maser is that for the same 80k the car is a couple years older. Also it feels even larger!

Old 03-31-2012, 09:29 AM
All of those driving categories are covered under "driver involvement"

Old 03-31-2012, 09:42 AM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
Old 03-31-2012, 09:49 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I meant Gran Turismo. Both are cool.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:58 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Sometimes cars are rare because no one is buying them! Some areas of the country, what you drive matters, i,e, NorCal and SoCal!,

It's a status thing.....Porsche sitting next to a Jag? Porsche all day long. I get a lot of looks at my car going down the road and parked. There is a certain allure to Porsche.....that's why I got one after I finally got to drive one.

You sound like the Jag is a better car for you. For my personal reasons...three cars I would never buy..... Cadillac, Mercedes, and....Jaguar. I didn't like the older Porsche's because the interior was so plan however finally getting the chance to ride in an older model 911 I found out it was all about the driving experience. To me the 3 aforementioned cars to me do not provide the driving experience. I also have owned a 3,5,X5, & 2 750's from BMW. It's all about the driving experience. Get the Porsche....you won't regret it. Just my thoughts.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:04 AM
Here is what i learned.
Earlier jags had lucas electricals causing reliability issues.
Not anymore.

So i guess the reliability is better if not the best

Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by krysFly
Jag is better?? Hummm...he is Europeon.....what does he know?

Old 03-31-2012, 10:10 AM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
By the choices that you are considering, it doesn't sound like you want a sports car but a cruiser.
The 911 is the true sports car of the original choices that you identified.

The Jags, Mercedes, and certain models of BMW, Audi, Lexus are associated with "older" folks...

My own personal opinion but there seems like something is out of proportion with the Jags. And the nose of the XKR looks out of place and looks extremely long?

Last edited by mark12345; 03-31-2012 at 10:17 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone Considered XKR?