997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help! Trading 997 S for Turbo!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 07:16 PM
4dr-360 is on a distinguished road
Help! Trading 997 S for Turbo!

Well, I went through a LOT to find and buy my 997 S CPO from dealer...and with some positive changes in finances I am more than ready to make the change to 997 Turbo! Question is if it is worth it, let me know your thoughts/experience please!

2007 Atlas Grey, 42k miles Sport chrono, heated seats, 6-spd, all stock. What should I be paying? it's listed for $74,452 and seems to have been there for a little while.

Also, since I recently bought my 997 S, White, 6spd CPO loaded, wondering if they will try to kill me on trade, any thoughts?

If not Turbo I will be lightly to medium modding the S =)

Last edited by 4dr-360; 05-13-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:30 PM
blazinginder is on a distinguished road
For the turbo I'd probably want to be at under $70k just based on mileage/year and manual (may be a little ambitious) considering what I saw come my way before....and yes youll probably take a nice hit on the trade, but I could be wrong depending on how good of a price you got it for

Old 05-14-2012, 12:35 AM
muerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to all
Atlas grey is a fairly unusual color. If you like it (I do) you may pay up a little bit. If you don't...then don't pay up for it. My only point here is realize the seller feels they are bringing a special color to the table...true, but on the other side, you will need to find a special buyer when you sell.
All that said...the right price makes it work for both sides.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks!

YEs, I do like the Atlas Grey, and that makes a lot of sense, same goes for cars with a lot of mods, narrows down you're buying audience due to personal preference!

This partially drove me to this decision, mod my S, granted, nothing crazy, just GT3 aero, exhuast, maybe GT style rims etc, nothing "wild" that would void CPO, but I could just put that money toward a turbo

I also believe the dealer has had the car for a little while (maybe they have tried to hold firm on their higher price....lol)

Old 05-14-2012, 10:46 AM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
I did what you want to do to your S car and my CPO is intact. Pics of GT3 bits to come...

Originally Posted by 4dr-360
YEs, I do like the Atlas Grey, and that makes a lot of sense, same goes for cars with a lot of mods, narrows down you're buying audience due to personal preference!

This partially drove me to this decision, mod my S, granted, nothing crazy, just GT3 aero, exhuast, maybe GT style rims etc, nothing "wild" that would void CPO, but I could just put that money toward a turbo

I also believe the dealer has had the car for a little while (maybe they have tried to hold firm on their higher price....lol)

Old 05-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
You need two numbers. One the amount you are wiling to spend on the trade and the other the total for the mods to your current car. Go to the dealer and see if you can get the number you are comfortable with. If not take a second look at your mods total.

The turbo with those miles is maybe a bit high.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 AM
tiyyara will become famous soon enough
It would be interesting to see how much your dealer will value your 997.2 C2S
Good luck

Old 05-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
I did what you want to do to your S car and my CPO is intact. Pics of GT3 bits to come...
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
Glad to hear it, I figured as long as I steer clear of major components I should be good, no ECU tuning etc. I have considered AWE or Fabspeed cats/pipes, did you have any CEL issues w/ cats? I am looking for fairly problem free driving as I do some longer rallies & don't like Christmas tree lights in the cars

Originally Posted by Alan C.
You need two numbers. One the amount you are wiling to spend on the trade and the other the total for the mods to your current car. Go to the dealer and see if you can get the number you are comfortable with. If not take a second look at your mods total.

The turbo with those miles is maybe a bit high.
It actually looks like a wash in costs for the most part, mods vs. dollars from trade etc.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Goldduster is on a distinguished road
Take a deep breath and go for the Turbo. Just remember that you'll lose a lot more right now if you leave the money in the stock market. At least you'll have something that you will really enjoy.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:17 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I would stick to what you have now. That 07 turbo has higher mileage and it isn't going to be worth the hit you are going to take for the incremental power that you really can't use anyway. I say that and I moved from a C4S cab to a GT3 (and could not be happier), so maybe I am not the one to be giving advice!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:09 PM
thomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of light
"it isn't going to be worth the hit you are going to take for the incremental power that you really can't use anyway".

I can see how an 'outsider' may agree with this statement, but depending upon the buyers motivation...the extra power is "always" nice to have on tap. I always had low horsepower cars, just got a 996TT with lots of mods and high hp. You are right...I do not need all that power and will never / ever tap the full potential. But you know what? I am very glad that I have it! For me, I wanted to get into this platform, if even to get it out of my system. I have driven normal 996/997s and they are perfectly capable and fun.
But to own a turbo is a different category - even if it may sound pretentious. I am glad I did it, and if I ever move to another platform - I would still be glad that I had my chance to experience it. The kick in the azz is incredible.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Mark Harris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Goldduster
Take a deep breath and go for the Turbo. Just remember that you'll lose a lot more right now if you leave the money in the stock market. At least you'll have something that you will really enjoy.
I'm glad you are not my financial advisor.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:17 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a TT and it will get you very very close.
I went from a 996 NA to a 997TT. I would never go back to a NA car. The TT is a point a shoot car. You want to be right there. Punch it and you are!!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:12 AM
hot nikon is on a distinguished road
I'm amazed that I still have a drivers license. If I had a 997/2 TT, it (the license) would be gone in a month!

Bolt on some better headers and a flash, you just added 80+/- h.p.

I would end up before a judge...

Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Decision made for me on this one!

Well, dealer seriously disappointed/upset me...I left a message before close last night for manager "I have no interest in doing business w/ ur dealership, thanks for your time and good luck on the sale" It started @ 9am when I called and said "I would like to buy your CPO 997 Turbo today" and they managed to get that message by 7pm......wow.....

So Looking at other lower mileage turbos now and pretty set on making the step/jump up Ironically I just got the plates in for my 997 S, but I bought it right so doesn't seem that it will cost much to make the change

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! Trading 997 S for Turbo!