997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Radar detector recommendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 AM
blazinginder is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by function12
Call V! and see if they have any refurbished unit. You save ~$50. Other than that your only bet is used.
Yea I prefer new for $50 bucks....any recommendation on mounts though?

Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 AM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Originally Posted by blazinginder
Yea I prefer new for $50 bucks....any recommendation on mounts though?
G Bracket for V1 via Bumperplugs
http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html

Old 05-23-2012, 10:10 AM
2fnquik is on a distinguished road
Thank you everyone for the excellent responses. This forum is great- intelligent and active users. Looks like I need to decide between a V1 or a custom install (perhaps 9500ci). Big difference in price though!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 AM
spoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the rough
Check craigslist or the classified section of this and other forums. I've seen them for as low as $250 which is a good deal.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:50 AM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
I've used a V1 for many years and have them in all my cars. The arrows are the main sell for me. Knowing WHERE the radar is is key.

The challenge now is laser which is being used more and more at the local level, and by some CHP (I saw a CHP cycle cop doing laser on the 22 East bound the other day. Full east-coast hide ambush style). He targeted me for a good 10 seconds, I wasn't speeding, the V1 was going crazy but at that point it was too late, if I had been.

Regarding False alarms, I've NEVER seen an identified Cop radar source in CA that wasn't Ka band. You can program the V1, it's not hard. I have X and K set to very high delay levels, in addition to a K filter setting due to some speed management system they use on the 101 that sends K signals through the air. I get very, very few false alarms now. You can turn off X and K, but I chose to keep them active.

BTW, I use the stock suction mount, mounted high just to the right of the mirror, hard wired in.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:58 PM
blazinginder is on a distinguished road
Just did some searching...if you're looking to buy a V1 and want to hardwire definitely suggest buying the SAVVY with it, I know I am when I place the order tonight.

Still Debating between the G bracket around the mirror (requires minor drilling) or just using the visor clip mount option. Have any of you folks used the visor option or use just the suction cups in combo with hardwire???

https://store.valentine1.com/Store/

Old 05-23-2012, 02:45 PM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
Here is a very bad picture of my suction cup mount with hardwire. I really see no reason to not use the suction. It holds very well and the position is high center where you want it.

Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2012, 06:04 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Originally Posted by spyerx
Here is a very bad picture of my suction cup mount with hardwire. I really see no reason to not use the suction. It holds very well and the position is high center where you want it.
I started using suction cups on my Passport in the 80's. When the V1 came out I switched to that & I have been upgrading my V1 whenever there is a new release. I change out the suction cups w/ a new pair ~ every 4 months. However about a month after one change out the suction cups failed & my V1 fell & cut the leather on the front of the glove box. After 16+ years of no problems I had a failure. That's why I switched to the G-Bracket.

Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Good point and not cool. Do you hard wire? I know on mine if the suction cups failed the wire would let it dangle there... not great but wouldn't smack the dash.

Originally Posted by na011
I started using suction cups on my Passport in the 80's. When the V1 came out I switched to that & I have been upgrading my V1 whenever there is a new release. I change out the suction cups w/ a new pair ~ every 4 months. However about a month after one change out the suction cups failed & my V1 fell & cut the leather on the front of the glove box. After 16+ years of no problems I had a failure. That's why I switched to the G-Bracket.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by spyerx
Good point and not cool. Do you hard wire? I know on mine if the suction cups failed the wire would let it dangle there... not great but wouldn't smack the dash.
Sort of. I ran the wire out the back of the fuse box, up the A pillar & tucked the wire into the top of the frame. It looks like it's hard wired but when the suction cups broke loose the V1 swung down w/ the cord attached like Tarzan Lord of the Jungle.
The sad thing was I was on a smooth Interstate going about 75 mph & I have no I idea why it broke loose. I still use those same suction cups when I'm in a rental & have not had any other problems.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:27 PM
I do the same. Here's a trick. if you have enough slack at the detector end, tie a loose-ish knot in the cable about 8" from the end of the cable and stuff that back up in the headliner. It will keep it from dropping out without a really firm pull. A bit of hack but easier than trying to remove the headliner to zip-tie the V1 phone cord in place.

Originally Posted by na011
Sort of. I ran the wire out the back of the fuse box, up the A pillar & tucked the wire into the top of the frame. It looks like it's hard wired but when the suction cups broke loose the V1 swung down w/ the cord attached like Tarzan Lord of the Jungle.
The sad thing was I was on a smooth Interstate going about 75 mph & I have no I idea why it broke loose. I still use those same suction cups when I'm in a rental & have not had any other problems.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Doug L. is on a distinguished road
I have always used the visor mount as it is very secure and lowers the device just below the top tint band on most car windows. Valentine One's site says if you mount high in front of the tint band it reduces range and effectiveness. The visor mount is best IMHO.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
V1 is great !
Problem with the v1 for me was simple. I was too lazy to attach / detach every time I use my car. Having a cab, it's safer to hide it rather than take a chance of some idiot breaking in to steal the v1.
Installed a 9500ci. Pretty happy with it.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:01 AM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
A vote for Passport 9500 iX

I purchased a new Passport 9500iX about a month ago. This unit has the GPS feature that will automatically store false alarms. I was a bit skeptical at first-my first trip to work with the new unit was filled with many alarms. After 3-4 days it had stored them all recognizing the radar frequency and global position-now it might go off 0-2 times during the trip. I also like the feature where it allows you to mark a location as a speed trap for known areas. Once you do that it will give a quick alarm and show a countdown in feet until you hit the speed trap spot (similar to GPS feet countdown to turn).

Old 05-24-2012, 04:39 AM
borderless is on a distinguished road
K40 best option

Originally Posted by 2fnquik
Thank you everyone for the excellent responses. This forum is great- intelligent and active users. Looks like I need to decide between a V1 or a custom install (perhaps 9500ci). Big difference in price though!
Obviously everyone has their own opinion. I can tell you I've owned the V1, custom install of the 9500ci (with laser jammer) and now the K40 360. The K40 blows the V1 and 9500ci away...again in my opinion.

http://www.k40.com/rl360---new----pages-20.php

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Radar detector recommendation