997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DME report advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Faber is on a distinguished road
DME report advice

Here are the DME results for a potential C2S that I'm looking at. Thoughts?

Range 1: 2709 / 1523HR
Range 2: 751 / 1523HR
Range 3: 360 / 1523HR
Range 4: 199 / 1370hr
Range 5: 4 / 1370hr
Range 6: 0

Total hours: 1538hrs

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
My thinking: serious overrevving there. The 1-3 was done only 15 hours ago so it is too soon to know for sure if anything was hurt in the process. The 4-5 revs are not a good sign. There are lots of cars out there. I know what I'd do.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Boosted Josh is on a distinguished road
Someone botched a downshift about 5500-6000 miles ago and it was redlined pretty hard about 500 miles ago.

It has 2709 ignitions in range 1 which is in the 7300-7500 RPM, which means the car has spent a little over 7 seconds in this range.

It has spent almost 2 seconds in range 2, a little less than 1 second in range 3, about 1/2 a second in range 4, and 0.01 second in range 5.

does that help? LOL

Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Faber is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reponses so far. Everything points to passing up on this car.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:15 AM
jenzwheels is on a distinguished road
Just had a DME report back on my C4S 997.1 prior to warranty renewal and it shows 1 ignition in ranges 4 5 and 6 - all at same driving hours
This 'happened' about 700 driving hours ago and well before I purchased the car - 5 years old 31k miles and 1100 driving hours in total.

Car drives and feels fine. There are 2 ignitions in range 3 and 115 in range 2, 995 in range 1. Doing my sums the 1 ignition would amount to circa 0.002 seconds - is this likely or could it be a glitch in the recording software (fingers crossed) ?

Old 08-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Unless it is affecting your renewal of warranty I would not even think about it. By now you would know if there was a problem right? I don't know if it is even mechanically possible to have the single ignition you are referring to but surely it is insignificant no matter what. Is there nothing else to fret over in England during the Olympics? (jka of course

Old 08-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by Gpjli
Unless it is affecting your renewal of warranty I would not even think about it. By now you would know if there was a problem right? I don't know if it is even mechanically possible to have the single ignition you are referring to but surely it is insignificant no matter what. Is there nothing else to fret over in England during the Olympics? (jka of course
Olympics - pah - they've taken over the whole tv

The matter has been referred to Porsche Germany for a decision on whether to renew but they must have done the same last year assuming the same warranty conditions prevailed? Your point about it being mechanically possible was my thinking - I can't understand how you could get 1 spike in 6 and only 1 in 4 & 5 as well - I'm also guessing that 1 of the two spikes in range 3 was also done at the same time?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:34 AM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Stage 5 ignitions are a bit troubling, but not the end of the world. Stage 6 is a deal breaker for me. That's when bad things can happen. I know someone that had a money shift and hit stage 6 - kaboom!

Is this a CPO? If so, then I would not worry about it.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
No worries for Range 1 & 2, even with tens of thousand fires
Range 3 just happened, still a low number
Wouldn't worry about range 4. Range 5 worth considering but happened a while ago.

Overall total fires above redline are low. If the rest of the car is exactly what you want I'd be a buyer. Low overall is nice but range 5 is borderline except for really nice cars. JMO.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
musicmovesme is on a distinguished road
I think you proceed with caution. i do believe that these cars a very well over engineered so that's to your benefit. I agree with other posters there are probably other cars out there that have better numbers but if this car meets all your needs don't throw it out based on this alone. if it's at the dealer ask if they will provide a 30-90 day warranty due to your concerns. If not not maybe a extended warranty at the time of purchase could ease your concerns. good luck!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Gibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the rough
Anything below 10 ignitions is a glitch, not mathematically possible.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I had one hit in range 2 on my 11 GTS PDK. It was flagged as implausible. Pretty hard to get just one.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Anything below 10 ignitions is a glitch, not mathematically possible.
This is my thinking - especially as it has only 1 in the three top ranges. Trouble is that most people would appear to never consider a car with a range 6 firing which seriously undermines my resale
I'm going to see what come back from Porsche and take it from there.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
musicmovesme is on a distinguished road
is it true that any below 10 is mathematically not possible?? i hadn't heard that before and does anything know the equation to out the actual seconds for the different ranges??? Thanks

Old 08-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by musicmovesme
is it true that any below 10 is mathematically not possible?? i hadn't heard that before and does anything know the equation to out the actual seconds for the different ranges??? Thanks
Ignition period = 1/(rpm/60*3)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DME report advice