997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What cars have you raced with your 997 and didn't expect to win?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by IslandS62
The added weight of the 2 CDs in my glovebox storage slows me down considerably.
That is too funny!

Old 06-11-2012, 11:22 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
many years ago an article stated that, yes, while you have the ferrari's and lambo's out there, the one guarantee in this world is that "a porsche attracts more attention than a 'free money' sign". it's not about how fast you go, it's about how SLOW to let people ogle.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:12 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Here in revenue strapped Long Island I have seen plenty of rice rocket racers pulled over.

Never give in to the temptation to race them on the street. Getting smarter with old age. I know (and they do too even if only in their subconcious) that a coffee can exhausted, slammed, big winged Honda is no match. The same holds true for the 370Z crowd and the G35X/G37X crowd. Worst of all are the Prius and minivan drivers who not only want to race light to light but also feel the need to try to cut off nicer cars in traffic.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:38 PM
adcd875 is on a distinguished road
I don't know. Too busy with the blond sitting next to me wearing a mini skirt!!!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Back when I was on E90post (the BMW forum), we'd get these types of threads, and people would post their street racing stories, and the other 20-somethings would chime in, "awesome brah!." So this is a refreshing change.
This is a much different forum. I remember bimmerforums/E90/DTM/Maxbimmer would be exactly the same way. One of my best friends is a moderator on the BMW forum, he attends meets for both BMW's and Porsche's, although he owns a BMW, definitely prefers the 6speed boys. I quote "The guys from BMW will be taking about installing an aftermarket muffler that sounds like **** they bought on ebay, while 6speed guys will argue over which stocks to hold vs sell. Different class of people"

Old 06-11-2012, 07:52 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed - me too, except it was on M3Forum and E46 Fanatics. I had a supercharged E46 M3 and the "prove it to me" got old real fast. I now enjoy "driving" the car and recently got addicted to taking it to the road course (Harris Hill Raceway) where the car really shows what it can do - eh, more than the driver's capabilities. For me, suffice to say they can just pass me up. And to the guy who unloaded his windshield washer fluid on the car behind him - I'm going to have to try that one. It's getting old with lots of cars wanting to race and ride my a$s - I know it frustrates the heck out of them that I won't engage, but that's a really nice tactic for those who insist on riding the rear.

Originally Posted by MBENZF1
This is a much different forum. I remember bimmerforums/E90/DTM/Maxbimmer would be exactly the same way. One of my best friends is a moderator on the BMW forum, he attends meets for both BMW's and Porsche's, although he owns a BMW, definitely prefers the 6speed boys. I quote "The guys from BMW will be taking about installing an aftermarket muffler that sounds like **** they bought on ebay, while 6speed guys will argue over which stocks to hold vs sell. Different class of people"

Old 06-11-2012, 09:02 PM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
I guess it's just me but I street race any chance I get. It's fun stepping on the gas and destroying whoever is bothering me. I've taken a Cobra, Ferraris, street racers and many other Porsches. I won't race cars that obviously can't compete, but any serious takers and I'm in. Rarely do things get past 100 MPH (but I did get it up to 135 MPH on the highway on the way home rolling against an Audi). I have not launched my car on the road, however. I think when I get tired of street racing, it'll be time to sell my car.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thebland
I guess it's just me but I street race any chance I get. It's fun stepping on the gas and destroying whoever is bothering me. I've taken a Cobra, Ferraris, street racers and many other Porsches. I won't race cars that obviously can't compete, but any serious takers and I'm in. Rarely do things get past 100 MPH (but I did get it up to 135 MPH on the highway on the way home rolling against an Audi). I have not launched my car on the road, however. I think when I get tired of street racing, it'll be time to sell my car.
Why not go to the track?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thebland
How old are you? I would race anything and everything when I was much younger. Now I don't bother.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 PM
PorscheJoe will become famous soon enough
I'm undefeated & never lost a race with my Porsche, cuz I never race on the street. Who cares who wins or losses? Most of us have too much to lose other than a few seconds of an ego boost. Funny story, some kid in a Honda Civic got up right next to my Ferrari 430 on a stop light & wanted to race. I just smiled & told him, "you win", but if he had a Prius, it would have been on!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 AM
b2sc is on a distinguished road
Man, you guys all sound like old men... I understand and respect not racing on the street but who hasn't felt the need for speed on occassion??

I was on a road trip with my buddy somewhere in BFE when the 4 lane divided hwy surrounded by plowed farmland opened up w/o a car, human or animal in sight. He was in his BMW MCoupe and I in my 911S. From a coordinated rolling start, I never had less than a car length on him and the gap widened quickly as speed increased. He was quite suprised at the outcome.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:30 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
I have never street raced and I will never do it again....

Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 AM
rocket911 is on a distinguished road
When your in a Turbo S, there are no serious takers to compete!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
You can get an accurate feeling for what is faster than what by reading the mag test summaries ie "bench racing". Should you "beat" a faster car you can be sure it is a driver issue rather than the fact that your Porsche is faster than a Lambo, or Ferrari 458 or GT-R....Should you "beat" a slower car well, whats the point? In the old days you could drag race from stop light to stop light and never go over 60-70 (I'm that old). Nowadays you will be into high triple digits on roads that cannot handle it and in denser traffic. While I do enjoy my favorite pkwy on/off ramps when traffic allows I vote for the use of drag strips and racetracks as necessary venues for this sort of thing.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:27 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rocket911
When your in a Turbo S, there are no serious takers to compete!!!
A problem that I hope to someday have!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What cars have you raced with your 997 and didn't expect to win?