997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

June 2012 Issue of Panorama - Fall 2015 potential mid-engined 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
June 2012 Issue of Panorama - Fall 2015 potential mid-engined 911

I was reading in the new issue of Panorama which arrived today about the prospect of a mid-engined 911 with a piece by Michael Cotton, "European Windows": Porsche could take a giant leap into the future in the fall of 2015 with a mid-engined 911 model, already allocated the development number 960.

I was wondering when this would happen as I read where the 991 has the engine pushed further away from the rear, yet still rear-engined. With the debute of the 918 Spyder it seems this is the future for the 911.

The article makes some really good points regarding the limits of the current 911 limitations as with the recent lack of competitiveness on the track: How long can the 911 continue its international career on the race tracks? This question has been asked many times over the years, but when we look at today's results in the American Le Mans Series, indeed at Le Mans, it looks as though the genius of the Weissach engineers is reaching its limit...Porsche will take the giant leap into the future in the fall of 2015.

So, as the value of the current 997 goes I think the future looks pretty good for future 911s.

Last edited by gonz996; 06-21-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:26 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Interesting indeed, but what will that mean for the rear seats as well as for Cayman?

Old 06-19-2012, 11:43 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Other successful exotics (Ferrari) have existed with front and rear engined cars. The real question would be why? Porsche already has highly successful mid-engined cars. There's no reason for both. The 911 is a rear engined car and, I believe, always will be.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Part of the mystique that is the 911 is its being rear engined. However the 911 has been the best performing pf weissach's offering. With the advent of performance cars like the ferrari 458 porsche engineers have to push the limits higher. The obvious advantage of the rear engined setup is now overshadowed by its disadvantages. Especially when competition is this good. I also feel the 911 goong mid engined soon. We all have to agree that this is one of the best is not the best performing chassis setup for a sports car. Its very hard to see the 911 not being on top of porsches game. Can you guys imagine that?? Porsche is synonymous to 911.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 AM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
i dont think that timeline is likely. it'll only be 3 years since the introduction of the 991 and historically about half of the chassis' life cycle. maybe 2017.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I thought this was a model that was to be positioned between the 991 and the 918. A car to compete in the 458 market.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
^this.

I believe the new mid-engined model will slot above the 911. It would compete in the $200k+ market.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:00 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
More likely to see a hybrid version in 2015.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:08 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
^this.

I believe the new mid-engined model will slot above the 911. It would compete in the $200k+ market.
And I hope this is not indicative of the price. Simply moving an engine (and chassis redesign), does not mean more metals or any ground breaking technology demanding cost increases.

I mean, if they use the same processes, same engines (or engine materials), same suspension (or suspension materials), etc... why would cost go up?

Old 06-21-2012, 09:53 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
And I hope this is not indicative of the price. Simply moving an engine (and chassis redesign), does not mean more metals or any ground breaking technology demanding cost increases.

I mean, if they use the same processes, same engines (or engine materials), same suspension (or suspension materials), etc... why would cost go up?
Because they can. Why does a 911 cost as much as it does now?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GS997S
Because they can. Why does a 911 cost as much as it does now?
I can't answer that... Which is why I didn't get a second one.

However - just to bring relevancy, I was doing some research on the possible Lotus models. I'm not trying to say that Lotus business model = Porsche business model, I'm just drawing a parallel.

They have released prototypes of both the new Elite (supercharged V8) and the Espirit (same supercharged V8).

The Elite is designed as a GT car and has the engine in the front. The Espirit is marketed towards 458 buyers and has the engine in the middle.

They cost about the same (within $5k). I mean, the car doesn't get bigger, or add any new materials, or new functionality - so it costs similar to build, and therefor sells at about the same price.

If Porsche already makes these engines, either the flat 6 or V6 and V8 from the Panny or Cayenne, they already source transmissions, turbos (if necessary), suspension, etc..., the cost increases would be for marketing purposes only.

(I mean - this is without ever seeing the car that may or not ever exist, so clearly this is LOOSE speculation)

Old 06-21-2012, 12:46 PM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
it does Porsche no good to market 3-4 sports cars in the $65 - 120k market. it just causes confusion and cutting sales into you own lines. also there is no way to kill the traditional 911 without an ugly mob with pitchforks trying to burn the factory. the 911 will remain, and a higher cost model will slot above it. My guess is they will base competition models on that car and attempt to build a new racing legacy for it.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by IslandS62
it does Porsche no good to market 3-4 sports cars in the $65 - 120k market. it just causes confusion and cutting sales into you own lines. also there is no way to kill the traditional 911 without an ugly mob with pitchforks trying to burn the factory. the 911 will remain, and a higher cost model will slot above it. My guess is they will base competition models on that car and attempt to build a new racing legacy for it.
I don't disagree. The problem I see is that the Cayman R (already being mid-engined) is purposely held back without offering a turbo option (turbos don't weigh that much that it would spoil the fun, I believe the 100HP increase more than offsets the few lbs extra weight).

I agree that the 911 (as we know it) cannot go away (not without the mob you described).

But where does that leave us? Artificially raised prices for the purpose of market segmentation? I already have some issues with the cost of some of the 911 variants as it is...

Old 06-21-2012, 07:53 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
The Porsche Panorama article seems pretty convincing. Michael Cotton (European Editor for the magazine) cites George Kacher, the most senior and respected German industry writer as confirming Porsche will take a giant leap into the future in the Fall of 2015. Yes, he maintains, it will be a mid-engined 911 model, already allocated a development number, 960".
This 911 would need to be a two-plus-two model, so as to maintain the bloodline and clearly distinguish it from the Cayman. The wheelbase would, therefore, have to be lengthened significantly. the six-cylinder engine will be retained, at least for the sake of continuity, but also for compactness. The 911's handling qualities, already praised to the skies in the current 991 version, would be further enhanced, and the carrosserie would be distinctly different...there have been mid-engined 911s in the not too distant past, referring to the 911 GT1-96 and GT1-97 sports cars built for Le Mans.
Time will tell.

Last edited by gonz996; 06-21-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:08 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
I doubt the new car would be called a 911 but I do believe that such a new car would replace the 911 as the new standard for Porsche on the track.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: June 2012 Issue of Panorama - Fall 2015 potential mid-engined 911