997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

June 2012 Issue of Panorama - Fall 2015 potential mid-engined 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Boosted Josh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I don't disagree. The problem I see is that the Cayman R (already being mid-engined) is purposely held back without offering a turbo option (turbos don't weigh that much that it would spoil the fun, I believe the 100HP increase more than offsets the few lbs extra weight).

I agree that the 911 (as we know it) cannot go away (not without the mob you described).

But where does that leave us? Artificially raised prices for the purpose of market segmentation? I already have some issues with the cost of some of the 911 variants as it is...

The Cayman R (and S) is not being held back by not having a turbo option but rather by not having equally powerful N/A engines as are available in the 911.

The more powerful engines drops right in and wouldn't really cost any more to manufacture. A Cayman with the same engine as the GTS would be amazing. 2800lbs and 408 hp!

But then it would out perform the 911 their flagship and Porsche won't let that happen.

They went as far as changing the gear ratio in 1st gear in the Cayman S so that it would be .1 second slower to 60 than a base 911. They also didn't even give an option for LSD until recently.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:16 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Boosted Josh
The Cayman R (and S) is not being held back by not having a turbo option but rather by not having equally powerful N/A engines as are available in the 911.

The more powerful engines drops right in and wouldn't really cost any more to manufacture. A Cayman with the same engine as the GTS would be amazing. 2800lbs and 408 hp!

But then it would out perform the 911 their flagship and Porsche won't let that happen.

They went as far as changing the gear ratio in 1st gear in the Cayman S so that it would be .1 second slower to 60 than a base 911. They also didn't even give an option for LSD until recently.
Fair enough. I meant - more powerful engine (just using the 'Turbo' as an example). But I agree with your entire premise.

What pisses me off is that they have all the power to put those things together... But choose not to. I realize they have a business to run, but I have a cars I want.

Car #1 mid-engine, AWD, DCT, 500HP+ (perhaps next iteration of R8)
Car #2 Cayman S or R with 400HP+ stock (either 6sp or DCT).

Neither one of those exist, yet.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Boosted Josh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Fair enough. I meant - more powerful engine (just using the 'Turbo' as an example). But I agree with your entire premise.

What pisses me off is that they have all the power to put those things together... But choose not to. I realize they have a business to run, but I have a cars I want.

Car #1 mid-engine, AWD, DCT, 500HP+ (perhaps next iteration of R8)
Car #2 Cayman S or R with 400HP+ stock (either 6sp or DCT).

Neither one of those exist, yet.

I completely agree. I was having a conversation with someone on another forum about the possibility of a STi version of the Subaru BRZ. I figure that they could bring the car in with a turbo and about 300hp with upgrades similar to the WRX STi, brakes, suspension, wheels for somewhere in the $35K range. Seems simple enough since they've already got the parts in the parts bin?

But will it happen? Probably not.

With the driving dynamics and balance that the Cayman has if Porsche would build it to reach its potential would really be an amazing car.