997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DIY 997.2 oil/filter change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 02:04 AM
mpkomala is on a distinguished road
Good info

Old 04-13-2015, 09:39 PM
five13avue is on a distinguished road
2009 targa 4s

do you know the torque spec for the oil drain plug. thanks

Old 04-13-2015, 09:44 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by five13avue
do you know the torque spec for the oil drain plug. thanks
37 ft-lbs (use new crush washer)

Old 04-14-2015, 03:50 PM
Wayne Smith is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by daberlin
Per my info the torque on the drain plug should be 19 lb ft. Don't want to strip this one out. Definitely use a new crush washer.

The oil filter cap torques to 7.5 lb ft. A bit un-nerving, being that it is plastic. Definitely replace the O-Ring.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:57 PM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by daberlin
^this for a 997.2 and 19 ft-lbs for oil filter

Old 04-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Just to be clear ...

997.2, yes, with plastic oil filter cap at the top of the motor. I would generally only torque a plastic piece by hand. Going to 7.5 lb ft is uncomfortable, but per recollection, that is the specification that came on the package from Suncoast. I copied this to my Car Record Manual. This is an o-ring seal, and generally you do not want to torque these too hard for fear of damaging the o-ring.

That being said I did pull up the Shop Manual from my computer ...

WM 170155 Changing engine oil and oil filter Technical values
Engine oil change quantity
Engine oil quantity for new engine
Description
M18 x 1.5 – always replace sealing ring
Replace and grease O- ring
997 and 997 S (DFI engine)
Type
Tightening torque Tightening torque
Filling capacity with and without filter
Filling capacity
Basic value
50 Nm (37 ftlb.)
25 Nm (19 ftlb.)
7.5 litres 10 litres

OK. the table didn't come out that well, and I'm not getting a screen shot to transfer into this post. But vg247 is right per the manual, and figuring about 3/4 lb ft per Nm the math corresponds. The top of the table does state these values may change, and 19 for the drain plug and 7.5 for the oil filter is what I recall on the Suncoast packages and is what I have used.

For reference, 19 lb ft is in the spark plug torque region. I can see this for a drain plug, but I certainly can not see this for a plastic screw on oil filter top. Tread carefully is all I can say. Oh, and that I have done a few oil changes on my car over the last 6 months and 15K miles and have not had a problem with the lower torques.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:02 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Just to be clear ...

997.2, yes, with plastic oil filter cap at the top of the motor. I would generally only torque a plastic piece by hand. Going to 7.5 lb ft is uncomfortable, but per recollection, that is the specification that came on the package from Suncoast. I copied this to my Car Record Manual. This is an o-ring seal, and generally you do not want to torque these too hard for fear of damaging the o-ring.

That being said I did pull up the Shop Manual from my computer ...

WM 170155 Changing engine oil and oil filter Technical values
Engine oil change quantity
Engine oil quantity for new engine
Description
M18 x 1.5 – always replace sealing ring
Replace and grease O- ring
Type
Tightening torque Tightening torque
Filling capacity with and without filter
Filling capacity
Basic value
50 Nm (37 ftlb.)
25 Nm (19 ftlb.)
7.5 litres 10 litres

OK. the table didn't come out that well, and I'm not getting a screen shot to transfer into this post. But vg247 is right per the manual, and figuring about 3/4 lb ft per Nm the math corresponds. The top of the table does state these values may change, and 19 for the drain plug and 7.5 for the oil filter is what I recall on the Suncoast packages and is what I have used.

For reference, 19 lb ft is in the spark plug torque region. I can see this for a drain plug, but I certainly can not see this for a plastic screw on oil filter top. Tread carefully is all I can say. Oh, and that I have done a few oil changes on my car over the last 6 months and 15K miles and have not had a problem with the lower torques.
Thanks Filter cap actually has torque spec listed on it - 25 Nm.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:12 PM
five13avue is on a distinguished road
Torque for oil drain plug

Unscrewed drain plug, which was last done at Porsche dealership. Definitely was not at 19 ft lb based on how much force needed. Placed new crush washer and torqued plug to 50 nm (36.87 ft lbs according to conversion website!). Seems like a lot of force. Filter cap has 25 nm stamped on it, so that's what I did, it didn't feel excessive. Took 8 qts to put it 3/4 full on gauge. Drove to dealer to see if they would reset service indicator message that is on tach for another year. They said yes but it would cost $120. Thanks but no thanks! Thanks to everyone on this post.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:24 PM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by five13avue
Unscrewed drain plug, which was last done at Porsche dealership. Definitely was not at 19 ft lb based on how much force needed. Placed new crush washer and torqued plug to 50 nm (36.87 ft lbs according to conversion website!). Seems like a lot of force. Filter cap has 25 nm stamped on it, so that's what I did, it didn't feel excessive. Took 8 qts to put it 3/4 full on gauge. Drove to dealer to see if they would reset service indicator message that is on tach for another year. They said yes but it would cost $120. Thanks but no thanks! Thanks to everyone on this post.

my service light comes on too since I do own oil,,,doesn't bother me in least as it disappears after putting it in gear..

Old 04-24-2015, 10:33 AM
dethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud of
where is the best place to buy oil/filter combo kit to do this? couldn't find it at suncoast. but I may not be looking right.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:36 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dethman
where is the best place to buy oil/filter combo kit to do this? couldn't find it at suncoast. but I may not be looking right.
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...997236mainkits

Old 04-24-2015, 10:52 AM
I actually found my local dealer in Marin County was less expensive than Suncoast and there was no shipping charge (making the purchase a lot cheaper). So I bought an extra for the shelf (I will need it soon as I just hit 50K miles this morning) and I got to support local!!! Your results may vary. You want an oil change kit that will include a new crush washer and filter O-Ring.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:55 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
That is a ripoff. This is the Porsche luxury-tax version.

I buy all my filters from Pelican Parts for about $20 each. And they come with the rubber and aluminum rings.

Yves

Old 04-24-2015, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by yvesvidal
That is a ripoff. This is the Porsche luxury-tax version.

I buy all my filters from Pelican Parts for about $20 each. And they come with the rubber and aluminum rings.

Yves
Sorry...first link I posted had wiper blades and pollen filter in addition to oil change kit - here's the one for the oil change:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ode=997238main

Old 04-24-2015, 03:15 PM
dethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud of
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK997POINT2.html

this may be better for the oil change only.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY 997.2 oil/filter change