997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Am out of a 911- hopefully just for a while

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:16 PM
neuneleven has a spectacular aura aboutneuneleven has a spectacular aura about
Am out of a 911- hopefully just for a while

Fairly long story…
My third kid was turning one and I figured it would be soon time for day care and me to drive them in /pick them up some days of the week. This has gone well with the two older kids –about 7 and 5 for the last two years as they have been able to get in and buckle up or needed little help buckling up. Friday, a week ago in the tropical heat we have here, tried to squirm my not so small self between the driver’s seat and the left rear seat to place a new car seat for the toddler and was successful – but not after profuse sweating and some cursing to boot. It dawned on me, if I had to squirm similarly to get that relatively big toddler of mine into the back seat then buckle her up during a fall or spring rainfall, I not only will be drenched but stand a risk of throwing out my back, which I can’t afford to do professionally.
Headed on the next day into Chicago to service my stuff hauler – a 2008 MDX, with a relation who drove that car while I enjoyed a spin in the 911. Made the fateful decision (?fortunate/unfortunate) to check out the P dealer less than half a mile down the street while waiting for service to be completed. Saw a 2010 P4s and PTT outside and decided to try both out – had tried a P4 two years ago but was not so enthused. PTT was very fast and powerful, albeit with a “sterile” efficient feeling with regards to street traffic. Must be great and able to outrun may sports cars on track -but I am no tracker…as yet. The P4S despite it’s heft is surprisingly fast and grossly adequate. Additionally, the still impeccable full leather expresso interior and tineo wood got the better of me. The GTS would probably be closest to a 911 per multiple reviews, but the prices were good and were both CPOs, and I could, if I really did not stand any of the cars, subsequently trade back without a big hit into a 911, or upgrade to a PGTS if I test one and absolutely have to get it. Needless to say I left without a 997… Very likely to be back – in a 991S? used 997 GTS/turbo?, once the little one is big enough to maneuver herself into the back seat and buckle up autonomously.
Will continue to look in on this sub-forum. Thanks for all the great input and ideas garnered here.