997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Good Tint Job and Upholstry Repair Recommendations for Bay Area, CA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:59 AM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
I'll take some pics this weekend of the tint done on my car. Being relatively new to Cali - I'll use this as my excuse - this is the first time I've tinted a car. To stay away from the CHP, I did 50/35. After one week, I 'like' the look, but don't particularly like the fact that along the rear windows, there is a noticeable white seam around the perimeter of the tint. Honestly, I never noticed it on other cars, but when I went looking for it last week, every 911 with a tint job has it. It was explained to me that the small black dots around the three rear windows do not allow proper tint adhesion. Being OCD, it bothers me. BUT, as it was triple digits last week, I was thrilled with how cool it kept the interior.

Steve, good luck on the seat repair. Hope it comes out nice. Add pics.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:44 PM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by daberlin
I'll take some pics this weekend of the tint done on my car. Being relatively new to Cali - I'll use this as my excuse - this is the first time I've tinted a car. To stay away from the CHP, I did 50/35. After one week, I 'like' the look, but don't particularly like the fact that along the rear windows, there is a noticeable white seam around the perimeter of the tint. Honestly, I never noticed it on other cars, but when I went looking for it last week, every 911 with a tint job has it. It was explained to me that the small black dots around the three rear windows do not allow proper tint adhesion. Being OCD, it bothers me. BUT, as it was triple digits last week, I was thrilled with how cool it kept the interior.

Steve, good luck on the seat repair. Hope it comes out nice. Add pics.

Good to hear from ya' and thanks so much on sharing your experiences from the tint David. Your approval is good enough for me.. I'll check out what the 50/35 combo looks like once I have some time to get to the tint shop. Contemplating the degree of a car bra coverage (or not) at the moment...

Came back from a really bad experience -waste of time day--having car at Porsche of Stevens Creek Service Dept...long story short I had the most terrible Service Consultant (Jeremy DeFrisco)who didn't know squat and wrote up my service complaints wrong. He made up every excuse for every complaint I had. It was not until I directly engaged with the technical guys performing the service did I receive any resolve to my issues. --Next time Porsche of Fremont, which is too bad as Stevens Creek is 10mins from me!

I'll plan on doing the leather repair work after all the foot traffic from the above processes are done (tint, clear bra, CPO warranty issues ) and most definitely keep everyone posted on how things go with pix

Old 08-24-2012, 09:08 PM
JeffT is on a distinguished road
Stevens Creek Porsche is also 10 min down the street from me. Worth bypassing, though. I understand Gunther at Fremont is da man. Personally like Flintworks as an indy shop.
Coworker here has a friend who has used Mr Tint on multiple cars and he says they're great. They're just down the street from my office here on Kiely. Think it's time to check them out.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Porsche Stevens Creek still hasn't improved after all these years?

I went to Carlsen and never went back. Parts are much cheaper and while service isn't cheap, at least they are honest and do a fabulous job.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by djantlive
Porsche Stevens Creek still hasn't improved after all these years?

I went to Carlsen and never went back. Parts are much cheaper and while service isn't cheap, at least they are honest and do a fabulous job.
Unfortunately no djant, the service advisor I mentioned was totally incompetent and knew nothing at all. He was not receptive to anything I said and tried to find every excuse for every complaint made even before looking into them. He made no contact with his technical team to follow up with their findings on my car. It was not until I spoke to the techs directly and test drove with them in my car that the techs acknowledged the issues and then reported back to the advisor to update in my service report paperwork. Friday was wasted as I dropped off the car at 730am, he called me at 1pm and said they found nothing. I came in and test drove with the technical people and specifically identified the issues, they agreed to what I reported...now I have to bring it back Monday as they're closed over the weekend

Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 AM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
So we took the first road trip in the 911 outside LA County this weekend. 150 miles or so each way to/from Pismo Beach for wedding of wife's co-worker. Taking the P-Car was an EXCELLENT way to get wife to pack light ;-)

Two items to report, got a good chance to test out the Armor All Wheel Protectant as well as take a few pics of the car in and out of sunlight to show the 35%/50% tint I just had done. A+ for AA wheel protectant. Really impressed with the job on the wheels. Only noticeable spots of brake dust at the end of the trip were those spots where I did not spray. CHR wheels will require quite a bit of the can, but whew it does a great job.

As for the tint, I like the fact it keeps the car cooler. I dislike the noticeable film around the rear windows. I really HATE the distorted view through the rear window at night. I think my position will be to keep it on until/if I get caught. If I do, it's coming off.

Comments welcome as always.

With tint....

Without tint....

And two more with tint...

Old 09-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by daberlin
So we took the first road trip in the 911 outside LA County this weekend. 150 miles or so each way to/from Pismo Beach for wedding of wife's co-worker. Taking the P-Car was an EXCELLENT way to get wife to pack light ;-)

Two items to report, got a good chance to test out the Armor All Wheel Protectant as well as take a few pics of the car in and out of sunlight to show the 35%/50% tint I just had done. A+ for AA wheel protectant. Really impressed with the job on the wheels. Only noticeable spots of brake dust at the end of the trip were those spots where I did not spray. CHR wheels will require quite a bit of the can, but whew it does a great job.

As for the tint, I like the fact it keeps the car cooler. I dislike the noticeable film around the rear windows. I really HATE the distorted view through the rear window at night. I think my position will be to keep it on until/if I get caught. If I do, it's coming off.

Comments welcome as always.

With tint....

Without tint....

And two more with tint...

Beautiful! Once a nice car always a nice car DB There doesn't seem much contrast with the 35/50% split, for big brother's sake, I wonder if there's a lighter shade maybe 65% in the front I should do (as I know different tint brands have different percentages)..

I want the contrast so not to get pulled over, yet do not want such a difference in contrast that makes the front and rear sides lack much transition,etc. ~Wonder what everyone's take and experiences are with this?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by djantlive
for mobile upholstery repair, try this guy

http://www.fibrenew.com/silicon_valley/

they can patch the leather with filler, spray dye over the section to hide it. it won't be 100% but close. it's usually about $100-200 for repairs.

Thanks again djant' for all the input and advice on the leather repair- Tried this company and the steps and process were exactly as you described. $125 for the job.

Here are some before and after results to share with everyone. There's a slight bulge from the patch underneath (Jack did advise me of that) but better than the tear and potential to rip further. Overall I'm content with the work performed- If the puncture/ tear had been bigger the one concern I'd have with "perforated-vented" seats being repaired this way is that during the repair they use a filler material (as a patch underneath) and finishing spray (over the top of the sprayed dye) on the repair which would clog the vents. The surface over the repair does not feel as pliable/flexible and is slightly hard to the touch due to the filler/patch underneath and finishing spray.

In my case the damaged area was quite small (less than 1/4 a dime to scale) so these factors were insignificant regarding clogging the vents and harder texture of the repaired area. One might consider these variables if your leather tear is bigger.

Thanks everyone and dj!

Attached Images     
Old 09-07-2012, 11:51 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
glad it work out buddy! looks great! these mobile shops are cost effective and turnaround is faster.