997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hesitation with cold motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 06:44 PM
luigi007 is on a distinguished road
I just cleaned the MAF sensor and the car feels better, but not completely fixed. I did not clean the body throttle. It looked like it might need some cleaning. I might do that next weekend. Let me describe the problem once again. The issue is more pronounced when the engine is cold. I feel it the most when taking off from dead stop and when I take off slowly (1500-2000 RPM). It feels like the engine wants to die and then it takes off. As the engine warms up,the problem is less noticeable, but still there. I hopes this clarifies the problem. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by luigi007
I just cleaned the MAF sensor and the car feels better, but not completely fixed. I did not clean the body throttle. It looked like it might need some cleaning. I might do that next weekend. Let me describe the problem once again. The issue is more pronounced when the engine is cold. I feel it the most when taking off from dead stop and when I take off slowly (1500-2000 RPM). It feels like the engine wants to die and then it takes off. As the engine warms up,the problem is less noticeable, but still there. I hopes this clarifies the problem. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.
My car was doing the same thing, hot or cold, from a stop. Had to feather the throttle to avoid stalling. As SeaFoam is an additive for your fuel and/or oil it may well fix any issues in the fuel or lubrication systems that are contributing to the problem but, it won't have any effect on a dirty throttle body or MAF sensor. May have to try both to solve your problem. Have never used SeaFoam so I don't know anything about what it does or doesn't do to an engine. Have never used any after market engine treatments so will defer to those that do.

Last edited by Dadio; 09-16-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Dadio, so you still have the problem or were you able to fix it? If fixed, what you end up doing?

Old 09-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by luigi007
Dadio, so you still have the problem or were you able to fix it? If fixed, what you end up doing?
It's markedly improved. I cleaned both the throttle body and the MAF as I had suggested you try in my ealiest post. With that said, my plugs are original and have not looked at the coils. Could be I would see a bigger improvement with new plugs and coils but car seems to be running fine and without the hesitation. Plugs might be a winter project. Next project is third radiator install, GT3 smile, and grills over all openings in the bumper.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Dadio, do you have a video or instruction on how to remove and clean throttle body? Want to make sure I do it correctly. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:57 AM
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...ng#entry196485

The link above will take you to renntech post on what seems to be the same issue. One of the responses includes a link to a DYI on the process. While the DYI suggests Carburator cleaner for this process, I would suggest the CRC Throttle Body cleaner. Could be the two substance are the same but if you've got to buy it anyway, get the stuff specifically designed for the process. Carbs and modern throttle bodies aren't really the same animal in my book. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Dadio; 09-28-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:42 AM
jabed92694 will become famous soon enough
Do we know if the BMC contributed to this issue? I have one and would be interested if these BMC's cause any known issues.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by jabed92694
Do we know if the BMC contributed to this issue? I have one and would be interested if these BMC's cause any known issues.

In my case, I don't think so. I had the filter in for over 15 K miles with no issues. After reading the DYI post I refernced earlier, the stuff that I cleaned out was the same as the poster suggested would be found. Based on that and the 2+ years I had no issues with it I've got to believe my issue was simply normal grime in the throttle body. Have recently cleaned and re-oiled the filter and will reinstall once I get an opportunity because I like the enhanced intake sound and Butt Dyno power increase. )

Last edited by Dadio; 09-28-2012 at 01:15 PM.